The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign F Brock Boeser to 3 year deal with AAV of $5.875 million

Adarsh Sant

Just now, aGENT said:

Why would we? When have we done this? 

If Goldy can't earn a spot at this point, I'm not losing any sleep should he move on. Seems like a good kid...best of luck to him. It would also be the right thing to do, giving him a (likely last) chance elsewhere, if he's not in our long term plans/if he can't earn a spot.

And if we waive him during the usual preseason melee, I doubt he's claimed anyway. He'd also be a hell of a lot better served in Utica in that case than Biega would (as would Utica, particularly with vet limits).

why - we have a lot of serviceable Fs and may want to hang on to them for trades or injuries in the first month of the season.

When? dunno. I don't think its unheard of to start with 7d.

Goldy would get claimed for sure by Edmonton. 

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

Stecher looks to be the 6th guy on the depth chart and he has a few guys right on his heels including OJ, he is going to have to take that extra step this year, if he is to remain with this team.

While true (especially if Tryamkin also returns) and Juolevi, Brisebois etc knocking on the door... Tanev is almost certainly gone after (or during) this year as well...one way or another.

3 minutes ago, the grinder said:

the canucks have to qualify brock at 7.5 and the end of 3 years  , so he will make more money in year 4  

Or Brock gets injured and loses out on long term stability?  Or the Canucks decide to trade him?  There is a lot more security in a 49 million dollar deal, than an 18 million dollar one.  Terrible job by that agent.  

11 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Shocking to see some people defending Boes's agent. Term, $, NTC, the guy didn't land any of these metrics. They settled for a worse contract than was initially offered after waiting the entire summer. The agent then leaks this info on the radio. He also talk about getting into an argument with Boeser when he (agent) was attending the Vikings game. Priorities man.

Boeser, can your agent.

NTC's are not allowed to be given during RFA years so that was never an option.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Or Brock gets injured and loses out on long term stability?  Or the Canucks decide to trade him?  There is a lot more security in a 49 million dollar deal, than an 18 million dollar one.  Terrible job by that agent.  

would you like to deal with marners agent then  ?  the one that said the salary cap doesn't work  lol brock will still  get his money if he is traded but are you gonna trade him on that contract no , oh well that is  the chance the agent is taking  , if brocks scores 40 goals  and then does 8 at 10 mil    he will of made 58 instead of 49 million in total 98 million dollars for 13 seasons at age 33   and that is terrible?

Edited by the grinder

1 hour ago, BPA said:

You are correct according to CapFriendly.

• The qualifying offer is calculated from the players base salary (NHL salary minus signing bonus), and at minimum must meet the seasons minimum salary requirements:
  • 110% of the base salary if the base salary is less than or equal to $660,000
  • 105% of the base salary if the base salary is greater than $660,000 or less than $1,000,000. However, this qualifying offer cannot exceed $1,000,000.
  • 100% of the base salary if the base salary is equal to or greater than $1,000,000.

Since when do sports talk radio hosts actually do any fact checking???

Great deal for the Canucks!!!

ignore the talking heads on salary issue

they are really quite ignorant

they were trying to fluff the notion that the canucks had salary cap concerns about signing brock as well

completely untrue

they do not understand contract details

(or many important details about most things actually)

they just like to push their own general narratives

(ooops i see my post is actually redundant, happens when i read the thread and respond when something grabs my attention, without first finishing reading the entire thread)

Edited by coastal.view

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

While true (especially if Tryamkin also returns) and Juolevi, Brisebois etc knocking on the door... Tanev is almost certainly gone after (or during) this year as well...one way or another.

Although I have wanted Tanev gone after years and years of injury prone years, I don't think we can afford to lose him considering we are now a competitive team and Hughes and OJ need some time to develop still. Brisebois looks like a bigger more offensive version of Stecher so I think his time is coming either way. We have lots of options but I think we need Tanev to get us to that point, similar to what Edler is to us right now.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, the grinder said:

would you like to deal with marners agent then  ?  the one that said the salary cap doesn't work  lol brock will still  get his money if he is traded but are you gonna trade him on that contract no , oh well that is  the chance the agent is taking  , if brocks scores 40 goals  and then does 8 at 10 mil    he will of made 58 instead of 49 million  and that is terrible?

Brock suffered an almost career ending (freakish) back injury.  His agent advised him to turn down 49 million dollars.  That's terrible advice.  The agents are banking on the salary cap climbing.  It's already a 15% facade, considering escrow.  Brock needs a new agent.  He won't though.  He's a loyal guy.

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Cap space won't matter if Roussel starts the year on LTIR.  We have 3 extra bodies, if Roussel gets put on LTIR that leaves us with 2.  So 2 of Eriksson, Schaller, Baertschi, Goldy, Fatenberg and Biega have to go.  Leivo and Motte aren't going anywhere.  It could very well be Eriksson and Schaller that go down to Utica, that's my prediction, but if somehow Loui plays himself onto the roster than barring a trade I think Biega gets waived and we keep 14 forwards.  Goldy and Baertschi are more valuable than Biega.

Cap space always matters. More cap space now = more flexibility later in the season/at the TDL. I think it's likely Schaller and Goldobin during the preseason melee (and then Eriksson, who will clear easily, when Roussel's back).

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why - we have a lot of serviceable Fs and may want to hang on to them for trades or injuries in the first month of the season.

When? dunno. I don't think its unheard of to start with 7d.

Goldy would get claimed for sure by Edmonton. 

We also have a lot of serviceable D. The team has almost always carried 8 for many, obvious reasons. They're frequently more injured, harder to replace etc.

Unheard of? no. Highly infrequent? Yes (for good reason).

I don't think that's nearly a given. And again, if he hasn't earned a spot here by now in that case...best of luck in Edmon-dump.

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Although I have wanted Tanev gone after years and years of injury prone years, I don't think we can afford to lose him considering we are now a competitive team and Hughes and OJ need some time to develop still. Brisebois looks like a bigger more offensive version of Stecher so I think his time is coming either way. We have lots of options but I think we need Tanev to get us to that point, similar to what Edler is to us right now.

Disagree, I think we can actually afford to move him more now than ever as we actually have viable 'replacements' and solid depth. And again, he's gone at some point this season regardless IMO.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Cap space always matters. More cap space now = more flexibility later in the season/at the TDL. I think it's likely Schaller and Goldobin during the preseason melee (and then Eriksson, who will clear easily, when Roussel's back).

We also have a lot of serviceable D. The team has almost always carried 8 for many, obvious reasons. They're frequently more injured, harder to replace etc.

Unheard of? no. Highly infrequent? Yes (for good reason).

I don't think that's nearly a given. And again, if he hasn't earned a spot here by now in that case...best of luck in Edmon-dump.

If our D are injured we can always call somebody up.  We don't need to have that extra D in the press box in case of injury.  That's what Utica is for...