The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign F Brock Boeser to 3 year deal with AAV of $5.875 million

Adarsh Sant

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

If our D are injured we can always call somebody up.  We don't need to have that extra D in the press box in case of injury.  That's what Utica is for...

Same goes for forwards...yet we almost always carry 8D for a reason.

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Although I have wanted Tanev gone after years and years of injury prone years, I don't think we can afford to lose him considering we are now a competitive team and Hughes and OJ need some time to develop still. Brisebois looks like a bigger more offensive version of Stecher so I think his time is coming either way. We have lots of options but I think we need Tanev to get us to that point, similar to what Edler is to us right now.

Edler was re-signed as a buffer for QH as the LD is fairly weak.  Imagine if it was QH, Benn + Hutton.  The 2 years will give QH enough time to get used to the NHL and hopefully take over the #1-2 D position. 

Tanev will be on the way out.  I see Myers as taking over that hard big minutes.  Not to mention Barrie becomes UFA next year (so that's an enticing option).

OJ still projected to make the team (most likely next year) and hopefully Woo (in a few years) so depth is building on D.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Cap space always matters. More cap space now = more flexibility later in the season/at the TDL. I think it's likely Schaller and Goldobin during the preseason melee (and then Eriksson, who will clear easily, when Roussel's back).

We also have a lot of serviceable D. The team has almost always carried 8 for many, obvious reasons. They're frequently more injured, harder to replace etc.

Unheard of? no. Highly infrequent? Yes (for good reason).

I don't think that's nearly a given. And again, if he hasn't earned a spot here by now in that case...best of luck in Edmon-dump.

I wasn't thinking 7d all season, just out of the gate for a bit if need be. 

dunno, thought Goldy had a decent game last night. Green didn't move him off the Horvat line, even late. I know it was split squad nothingness, but still, Green didn't seem to feel the need to send a message. 

28 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Or Brock gets injured and loses out on long term stability?  Or the Canucks decide to trade him?  There is a lot more security in a 49 million dollar deal, than an 18 million dollar one.  Terrible job by that agent.  

And if he performs well over the next 3 years, grows into a 40 goal scorer, and signs a deal for $10M per year on a medium-long term, then he's going to be far better off than locking in his prime years at a discount. This obviously was a risk that Brock was comfortable taking for his future. 

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Edler was re-signed as a buffer for QH as the LD is fairly weak.  Imagine if it was QH, Benn + Hutton.  The 2 years will give QH enough time to get used to the NHL and hopefully take over the #1-2 D position. 

Tanev will be on the way out.  I see Myers as taking over that hard big minutes.  Not to mention Barrie becomes UFA next year (so that's an enticing option).

OJ still projected to make the team (most likely next year) and hopefully Woo (in a few years) so depth is building on D.

Awesome drafting coming this year too. Say we finish middle of the pack, there's a whole whack of great D available this year in that range too.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yes but the problem is you have to waive the player before he gets sent down.  So in the event Loui actually makes the roster then 2 players have to get waived.  So do you waive Goldy or Baertschi in order to keep Biega on the roster?  I doubt that would happen as both would get picked up.  Biega probably wouldn't, but even if he was I'd rather lose Biega than the other two.

Just now, aGENT said:

I would go with 8D if possible.

If you think about it...D logs the most minutes (other than G).  And if they are supposed to jump up into the play then it's even more exhausting.  With 8D, you can actually make better use of "load management".

But that's just my opinion.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I wasn't thinking 7d all season, just out of the gate for a bit if need be. 

dunno, thought Goldy had a decent game last night. Green didn't move him off the Horvat line, even late. I know it was split squad nothingness, but still, Green didn't seem to feel the need to send a message. 

And nobody would be happier than I if he earns a spot. If he turns in to a legit top 9 option we're laughing. Only makes Eriksson's position more perilous though and likely means one of Baer/Leivo/Pearson is moved sooner than later.

I thought he played 'ok' last night. Looked faster and more engaged which is good but it was a VERY scrambly game so it was hard to get a good read on most guys (particularly creative/offensive ones) as the execution was poor EVERYWHERE. He looked like he had some trouble making/forcing plays but that could just as easily have been because no one was where they should be :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

If you think about it...D logs the most minutes (other than G).  And if they are supposed to jump up into the play then it's even more exhausting.  With 8D, you can actually make better use of "load management".

I waive Biega because he's almost guaranteed to go through and if he doesn't, it's not a huge loss.......as much as I like him, I think the writing is on the wall with him.

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

Awesome drafting coming this year too. Say we finish middle of the pack, there's a whole whack of great D available this year in that range too.

If we finish middle of the pack we are a playoff team and Tampa gets the pick.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes but the problem is you have to waive the player before he gets sent down.  So in the event Loui actually makes the roster then 2 players have to get waived.  So do you waive Goldy or Baertschi in order to keep Biega on the roster?  I doubt that would happen as both would get picked up.  Biega probably wouldn't, but even if he was I'd rather lose Biega than the other two.

This will HIGHLY depend on how everyone actually plays but I likely waive Eriksson long before any of them :lol: Short of Baer crapping the bed, he's not even in this conversation IMO. 

4 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yup.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I waive Biega because he's almost guaranteed to go through and if he doesn't, it's not a huge loss.......as much as I like him, I think the writing is on the wall with him.

I would be happier if one of our D prospects (other the QH) shines and makes the club.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And nobody would be happier than I if he earns a spot. If he turns in to a legit top 9 option we're laughing. Only makes Eriksson's position more perilous though and likely means one of Baer/Leivo/Pearson is moved sooner than later.

I thought he played 'ok' last night. Looked faster and more engaged which is good but it was a VERY scrambly game so it was hard to get a good read on most guys (particularly creative/offensive ones) as the execution was poor EVERYWHERE. He looked like he had some trouble making/forcing plays but that could just as easily have been because no one was where they should be :lol:

I liked Goldy's defensive awareness when I think Teves? tried that dumb drop pass and Goldy bailed him out. Created some nifty offensive chances. 

Pretty excited about Miller and Bo tho, that could be something special. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2