Sign in to follow this  
Adarsh Sant

[Signing] Canucks re-sign F Brock Boeser to 3 year deal with AAV of $5.875 million

Wooooooo. Goldy better show something or it's

Image result for bye gif

Edited by FlyLow_
  • Hydration 2
  • Haha 2

Oh, and great to see the saga is over.

Let's go Brockstar!!

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Does the owner understand players' values?  Is the owner an expert in player evaluation and team building?  I agree that Aquilini would be a good negotiator, but I get a bit concerned when the owner gets involved in hockey operations.  I believe Aquilini loves his team, and that love might affect his judgement.  

Super glad we have Bess locked up though, and believe the numbers are fair for both him and the team.  Personally I think it's a steal for us.  Bess is scoring more than 150 goals during these three season.  

I would not be in favour if Aquilini was the only one doing this, but there is no way that is the case.  JB was the primary negotiator, but if there is an element with that that Aquilini helped with to get to where they are, then great.  Could be a good cop, bad cop type scenario with the agent.

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

So for all those beating on Sekeres, Boeser’s agent in a 650 interview confirmed that a 7x7 deal was offered by the team at the draft.

Since I can’t hear 650 Provost, please confirm he actually did say it. 

I thought the reported deal was 6x7mill. 

It would have been a better deal for sure... if he continues to score as now. 

Nice. Welcome back Brock. 

Edited by rekker

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm surprised Bess's agent confirmed that.  I kind of shows that he messed up.  Now Brock is getting paid more than a million less.  I'd say Brock needs to get himself a new agent. 

Well not necessarily so. 

Only for 3 years... all depends on the next contract. If he nets 40 goals a year the next 3 years, he is going to get anything between 7.5-10/year afterwards. 

I think he did ok with this contract. Just like Canucks did. 

He may end up getting more over the 7 year span and Canucks minimise the risk of another Eriksson situation. 

(I would still have liked the 7x7 more and also surprised he told about the deal offered). 

Edited by spook007

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well not necessarily so. 

Only for 3 years... all depends on the next contract. If he nets 40 goals a year the next 3 years, he is going to get anything between 7.5-10/year afterwards. 

I think he did ok with this contract. Just like Canucks did. 

He may end up getting more over the 7 year span and Canucks minimise the risk of another Eriksson situation. 

(I would still have liked the 7x7 more). 

7x7 is 49 million guaranteed dollars for Brock.  Right now he's got 17.5 guaranteed.  That's a huge difference. I believe Bess is going to score big over the next three seasons, so I expect he will get lots on his next contract.  However, the next CBA might restrict contract lengths to 5 years.  I think his agent messed up.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, appleboy said:

We now have Horvat and Boeser signed without any clauses. This leaves a team with the ability to make moves as they go forward. 

It’s true - that said they can’t get clauses except for years that covers UFA ones...that’s why Millers clauses kick in soon and sure it played into TBs strategy - they didn’t want to trade him of course they had to though for their own cap situation.   Horvats contract could have had one near the end so kudos on JB for that - but BB cant get one yet.  This is one part of the CBA that really works in the teams favour - their home grown talent can be used for trade bait whenever they need it until a certain point.   And from the players point of view at a certain point they get more say in where they play (NTC limited or otherwise) and depending on how important it is to them can negotiate to have clauses instead of actual cash (it usually costs money to get them)...and really of course there is a monetary consideration for these guys as they invest in housing and sometimes businesses too when they know they will be in one place for a while.

Never forget when Nichols story in LA, after scoring 70 plus as Gretzky’s wingman he asked the next summer if he should be buying a house (in other words was he safe from getting traded) and his GM said of course- he wasn’t going anywhere - he did and later that same season he was sent packing (to the NYR I think)...without a clause which the NHLPA fought for a and rightly so - nobody was really ever safe and moving mid-contract or season can have serious financial implications for these guys.

BB next contract - and Horvats too- will almost certainly have clauses.   

• Hydration 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

7x7 is 49 million guaranteed dollars for Brock.  Right now he's got 17.5 guaranteed.  That's a huge difference. I believe Bess is going to score big over the next three seasons, so I expect he will get lots on his next contract.  However, the next CBA might restrict contract lengths to 5 years.  I think his agent messed up.

Fair perspective. +1

30 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Sekeras said it was a 6 year deal at $7 million per.  I heard him say it...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

given how the negotiations went

it seems most of us could work as brock's agent as well

not sure what he really added to the process

except a lot of delay based on silly expectations

edit:  as an aside

though we have not seen the completion of all the rfa signings this offseason

can we still lump the laffs into a similar category of canadian teams as the coilers?

the coiler trade comparisons are not relevant for any other nhl team

and now laff rfa signings are not relevant to any other similar status signing

man these canadian teams have gone off the deep end

+1

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would not be in favour if Aquilini was the only one doing this, but there is no way that is the case.  JB was the primary negotiator, but if there is an element with that that Aquilini helped with to get to where they are, then great.  Could be a good cop, bad cop type scenario with the agent.

I believe I heard that John Weisbrod and another (Chris Gear?) were also involved.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Actually the more I read you post, the more I agree. 

49 in the bank is better than 17+ maybe 40-45 (if BCA restricts to 5 years). You never know, what the future holds. 

actually I guess it doesn't really matter what was offered , I am just over the moon happy Boeser is signed:wub: and Benning was involved.  the team is super happy to have him back, now they can concentrate  on having a great season!:P

15 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Actually the more I read you post, the more I agree. 

49 in the bank is better than 17+ maybe 40-45 (if BCA restricts to 5 years). You never know, what the future holds. 

Have to take into account that money sooner is better than money later too. That 1.1 (more like 700k after tax) million per year he gave up would be invested and earning a return for those years, so it's an even bigger difference if you count the opportunity cost of the forgone investments

• Hydration 2

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

I think I am wrong on the 7x7, I think it was 6x7 million that Sekeres reported.

The agent definitely said he was mad it leaked, and that is was effectively true.  He went on to state to that he was glad they didn’t sign it because the market changed and the number they wanted was higher... but by then all the signings/trades/Luongo thing ate into all the cap space.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

listened to his 650 interview.... the guys a tool. Brock needs better representation.... well then again maybe not eh :lol:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2