The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign F Brock Boeser to 3 year deal with AAV of $5.875 million

Adarsh Sant

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

listened to his 650 interview.... the guys a tool. Brock needs better representation.... well then again maybe not eh :lol:

I think that's a stretch (tools are useful).  :)

A few things he said jumped out at me...as said previously, the comment about being at a football game and the phone went off but he basically did a "I'll call you later, I'm busy"...doesn't serve the client too well.  And some started slamming Brock when, really, his agent didn't seem to have this set nearly as urgent as it should have been?  Thinking he was being greedy and in a standoff when, really, an agent thought it was ok to put things on hold as he relaxed on a weekend?!  Also referred to having to take his kids to school.   Brock seemingly intervened to "get this done" so no blame should have been placed on him in my view.  At all.

When he (BH) referred to "we" like somehow this was about him (too).   It was all about what was best for Brock and the agent was simply there to represent that.  Seems like he let some of his own ideas get in the way a bit.  Seems like a bit of an ego to me.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Have to take into account that money sooner is better than money later too. That 1.1 (more like 700k after tax) million per year he gave up would be invested and earning a return for those years, so it's an even bigger difference if you count the opportunity cost of the forgone investments

Yep.  42 million gauranteed - after taxes and agent fees will likely double to 42 million by the time that deal is done in six years with wise investments.   That said it’s hard to predict it’s I wouldn’t be surprised if BB scores at a PPG 40 goal average and gets a monster deal next time that negates that ... like a 70-80 million dollar legacy deal. 

• Cheers 1

6×7M or 7×7M doesn't matter. 49M definitely is a secure number and provides stability for BB based on his freak injury however if (knock on wood and God forbid) if anything happens BB still has 17.5M GUARANTEED dollars.

Bottom line is this is good for the team and I prefer it to a long term deal. We really aren't sure and can't 100% say for sure what we have in BB. It looks like he's a 30-40G guy but there are or at least should be concerns given his injury history in not only the NHL but the NCAA. 

If BB performs as I and the majority of the fan base hopes then perfect! We resign him to a long term deal and it's all peachy. If not... We have options to not Qualify or to trade him etc... This is good asset management.

As a fan who really hated Benning he started to sway me the last two years via his drafting, the start of this summer with excellent UFA signings and now this deal. I am for the first time 100% confident and happy with our GM. 

Now let's watch the media spin it how were all screwed and couldn't sign him to more based on cap constraints yet they praise the Laffs who are paying 4 (soft) players 40M.

Toronto is paying 3 of those guys 11M and none of them have ever hit 100 PTS, 

Mathews career high is 73 

Tavares career high 88 

Marner career high 94

None of them are worth near the 11M, can't win a playoff serious to sad their lives and this is praised by the media yet Benning is knocked on... Blows my mind.

The Laffs are 10M + over the cap. I thought even with LTIR that a team cannot exceed the cap by more than 10% in the off-season. I have a feeling if Vancouver's did this there would be serious recapture or penalties involved. I am so sick of Toronto being hailed and praised when it's a bloody tire fire. 

Vancouver wins a playoff series long before Toronto. I'd bet everything I have on it 

• Cheers 3

21 minutes ago, KanNuck said:

6×7M or 7×7M doesn't matter. 49M definitely is a secure number and provides stability for BB based on his freak injury however if (knock on wood and God forbid) if anything happens BB still has 17.5M GUARANTEED dollars.

Bottom line is this is good for the team and I prefer it to a long term deal. We really aren't sure and can't 100% say for sure what we have in BB. It looks like he's a 30-40G guy but there are or at least should be concerns given his injury history in not only the NHL but the NCAA. 

If BB performs as I and the majority of the fan base hopes then perfect! We resign him to a long term deal and it's all peachy. If not... We have options to not Qualify or to trade him etc... This is good asset management.

As a fan who really hated Benning he started to sway me the last two years via his drafting, the start of this summer with excellent UFA signings and now this deal. I am for the first time 100% confident and happy with our GM. 

Now let's watch the media spin it how were all screwed and couldn't sign him to more based on cap constraints yet they praise the Laffs who are paying 4 (soft) players 40M.

Toronto is paying 3 of those guys 11M and none of them have ever hit 100 PTS, 

Mathews career high is 73 

Tavares career high 88 

Marner career high 94

None of them are worth near the 11M, can't win a playoff serious to sad their lives and this is praised by the media yet Benning is knocked on... Blows my mind.

The Laffs are 10M + over the cap. I thought even with LTIR that a team cannot exceed the cap by more than 10% in the off-season. I have a feeling if Vancouver's did this there would be serious recapture or penalties involved. I am so sick of Toronto being hailed and praised when it's a bloody tire fire. 

Vancouver wins a playoff series long before Toronto. I'd bet everything I have on it 

Cheers pal. I hope, more than ever now, to have a successful playoff run and win a cup before this version of the Leafs. To have the media eat smack because of all their unwarranted TO love would make me the happiest Canuck fan on this planet. Please, hockey gods, make it so. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, KanNuck said:

i hope people realize that their cap overage is all dead salary space - payments to ltir players

they have exactly the same cap as every other team

they have just chosen to spend half of it on 4 players

the rest of the roster must survive on the rest (which makes the rest of their roster equal to ottawa??)

they lack depth and quality throughout their line up as a result

they have a very unbalanced roster and salary structure

they will need to pull off some sort of magic act to win the stanley cup with that roster this season

and who knows what they plan beyond this season

because their defence is needing to be paid next year .. and they have no cap room to get that done

• Like 2

Why are some people on CDC saying Brock needs a new agent because he didn't sign this supposed 7yr x7m per season deal? That is a great deal for the Canucks, but it 100% means Brock and his agent feel if he can remain healthy that he will be worth millions more per year in a short time...hence the 3 year contract. It is a player betting on himself.

Just like Marner, Mathews etc. Any of the higher end RFA's who are not signing max term contracts are waiting for the cap to go up more, this TV deal that is suppose to help the cap go up. So they all want an evener BIGGER payday down the line while they are still considered in their prime (late 20's) 

Don't forget how $$$ makes people very greedy.

Glad Brock his here, be interesting to see what his new 8yr deal will be in 2-3 years time...9/10/11m or more per year??

10 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Why are some people on CDC saying Brock needs a new agent because he didn't sign this supposed 7yr x7m per season deal? That is a great deal for the Canucks, but it 100% means Brock and his agent feel if he can remain healthy that he will be worth millions more per year in a short time...hence the 3 year contract. It is a player betting on himself.

Just like Marner, Mathews etc. Any of the higher end RFA's who are not signing max term contracts are waiting for the cap to go up more, this TV deal that is suppose to help the cap go up. So they all want an evener BIGGER payday down the line while they are still considered in their prime (late 20's) 

Don't forget how $$$ makes people very greedy.

Glad Brock his here, be interesting to see what his new 8yr deal will be in 2-3 years time...9/10/11m or more per year??

well we are all fans here

and prefer to only see the upside possiblities

and are prepared to pay accordingly

management cannot be fans

they have to factor in risk

brock comes with injury risk

it is better to do shorter term

even if it means having to pay more when his health issues have a larger window to resolve or not

no one who pushes for longer term and larger aav

mentions at all

what would happen if brock's injuries continue to be chronic

then the long term high value deal is much less attractive

8 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i hope people realize that their cap overage is all dead salary space - payments to ltir players

the rest of the roster must survive on the rest (which makes the rest of their roster equal to ottawa??)

they will need to pull off some sort of magic act to win the stanley cup with that roster this season

because their defence is needing to be paid next year .. and they have no cap room to get that done

Do they really lack quality depth though? Jonnsson 5 x 5 PP sixty is almost elite, and Kapanen isnt chopped liver either.  Yes they are going to have to make some moves next year to keep their defense relevant but their top six or nine is almost as good as anyone else’s.    

Llindgren  is still in the woodworks and they have a few other decent secondary players untapped that could help too.  They probably would have beat Boston this year if Kadri wasn’t suspended - and this years roster is looking better ... I’d definitely say their window is at the widest now but it should still be open for the next five years too.   Compared to the Canucks top six it’s not even close,  And this year at least their defense lines up better too.   The only bragging rights we have are our bottom six players whoopie- do.  

I still prefer our cap structure long term- but you have to hand it to them, they do have a lot going for them.   And of course I hope they fall flat on their faces again. Doubt it happens this year though ..

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

Sure they paid 4 players close to 40 million.  That said they should be able to replace Barrie with a decent player and the rest stays the same.   Dubas did sign good bridge deals for Kapanen and Johnsson, and have a few options available to them on defense that could help balance their cap issues... I wouldn’t like it for Vancouver but those four guys might earn their pay-cheque’s too.    Last year they were 4th best on offense and 12th in defense ...  this year they could go up to first or second and stay around the same - and that’s pretty much to same picture the next three plus years ... a differential that gives them a shot every year ... don’t even want to do ours - we are way far back in both regards.

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Do they really lack quality depth though? Jonnsson 5 x 5 PP sixty is almost elite, and Kapanen isnt chopped liver either.  Yes they are going to have to make some moves next year to keep their defense relevant but their top six or nine is almost as good as anyone else’s.    

Llindgren  is still in the woodworks and they have a few other decent secondary players untapped that could help too.  They probably would have beat Boston this year if Kadri wasn’t suspended - and this years roster is looking better ... I’d definitely say their window is at the widest now but it should still be open for the next five years too.   Compared to the Canucks top six it’s not even close,  And this year at least their defense lines up better too.   The only bragging rights we have are our bottom six players whoopie- do.  

I still prefer our cap structure long term- but you have to hand it to them, they do have a lot going for them.   And of course I hope they fall flat on their faces again. Doubt it happens this year though ..

despite shanaplan

and their recent signings and roster activity

the laffs have consistently proven since the nucks joined the league

that they know how to underperform

in the face of any heightened expectations

i am confident they can continue in their ways this season

speculating that they would have beaten boston

but for kadri

is complete speculation

the bruins were the better team

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Even I will admit they do have alot going for them however that being said there is no way this team makes it out of the first round of a playoff series especially in the East.

Something has to give they have one top 4 defender signed beyond this season to put things into perspective abit. If I'm Toronto I'm hoping and praying Nylander has a phenomenal year and I'm shipping him out at the Trade deadline. 

This team can score all day long but if one or two guys on that backend get injured it's over and I don't see the necessary toughness and grit to get through a playoff series. 

I will say they do have a good amount of firepower upfront but if you can shut down a few guys the rest of the team is not on par with the competition league wide. ... I do think a few trades like a Nylander move maybe Mathews as well could really change the game for them but I'm not gonna lose any sleep as I hate the Laffs franchise as a whole.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Lol. If he earns his way to 10 mill, I'd say we are in good shape dont you? 

Not worried 

20190916_223858.jpg

Ya and chances are he will because he'll be scoring 40 goals in 2 of next 3 yrs at leat  maybe 40 in all 3 years.

Imo be better to buy some Ufa years. Give him more money now and sign him longer. At least 6 yrs  so when Canucks start contending for cup we can have him at low cap hit and sign another piece to get us a cup.  

I'd rather pay 7.8 mill over 6 years than 5.8 now and 9.8 later. Gonna need that cap space for when contending for a cup  

• Cheers 1

Dang, Sid (Tim and Sid's Sid not our Sid. Definitely said Sid one too many times. Sid) really loves this deal. So there's that at least. He really seems to be high on Brock. Saying he is better than Kyle Connor. :O And oddly enough both Tim and Sid signed off on this team having a bright future. I am not used to media types actually thinking the Canucks actually have direction and are doing good. LOL. Just thought I'd share that little nugget with y'all.

People need to calm down about the future!  Boeser signed a team-friendly contract to get us out of the Eriksson and Loui NHL penalty years.  This was a team-first move.  What makes you think Boeser won't be reasonable in 3 years?  What makes you think the Canucks wouldn't want to use some of that dead money coming off the books to reward the player that scores, connects with fans and put the team first?  It's all good.  Boeser and Benning just turned this 2019-20 year into something hopeful.  Don't worry, be happy!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, KanNuck said:

Even I will admit they do have alot going for them however that being said there is no way this team makes it out of the first round of a playoff series especially in the East.

Something has to give they have one top 4 defender signed beyond this season to put things into perspective abit. If I'm Toronto I'm hoping and praying Nylander has a phenomenal year and I'm shipping him out at the Trade deadline. 

This team can score all day long but if one or two guys on that backend get injured it's over and I don't see the necessary toughness and grit to get through a playoff series. 

I will say they do have a good amount of firepower upfront but if you can shut down a few guys the rest of the team is not on par with the competition league wide. ... I do think a few trades like a Nylander move maybe Mathews as well could really change the game for them but I'm not gonna lose any sleep as I hate the Laffs franchise as a whole.

Yes they have fallen a few straight in the first round...and should have beat Boston but didn’t last year - and they almost won the cup.   No I’m not a TO fan - but I can give props when it’s due and they have definitely assembled a contender in a tough division.  Sure it’s taken some time, but I’d say eventually any struggling franchise is going to hit gold - which they did first in both winning the lottery when AM was available and signing Tavares.   They’d have a powerhouse pre-cap - and definitely will have to pay the piper...id say they have a three year window with Kapanen and Johnsson on team friendly bridges - and wouldn’t count them out during that time.  

This year they have Barrie instead of Gardiner - and upgrade and Ceci is better then Zaitsev.   Plus Marner, Nylander and AM all approaching their best years - really don’t think it’s wise to count them out.   Babcock is still a great coach (although always said he was overrrated) - I’d bet they are top three in offense this year and around tenth defensively.    That should be enough for TO fans to get excited come playoff time, and win a few series at least.   TB and maybe WSH and PIT are their biggest competition...they beat one of these teams and a final appearance is definitely in the cards for them.  Boston too but I’m not sure they won’t have a hangover this year despite not winning.