The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign F Brock Boeser to 3 year deal with AAV of $5.875 million

Adarsh Sant

27 minutes ago, KanNuck said:

This team can score all day long but if one or two guys on that backend get injured it's over and I don't see the necessary toughness and grit to get through a playoff series. 

If you look at where they were a year ago and compare with now, it would seem JB would agree with you.  He's working on it.....

If the Canucks make the playoffs this year and show good promise with rapid improvement, JB may have more options to add more toughness if UFAs want to jump onto the train.  Or perhaps they just wait for the tree trunk to come back.  Either way, this team make-up is starting to come together with a good blend of speed, skill and toughness.

15 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya and chances are he will because he'll be scoring 40 goals in 2 of next 3 yrs at leat  maybe 40 in all 3 years.

Imo be better to buy some Ufa years. Give him more money now and sign him longer. At least 6 yrs  so when Canucks start contending for cup we can have him at low cap hit and sign another piece to get us a cup.  

I'd rather pay 7.8 mill over 6 years than 5.8 now and 9.8 later. Gonna need that cap space for when contending for a cup  

Why don’t we worry about that when the time comes.  If this contract had told us anything BB is willing to be reasonable and jf he commands 9.8 later it will only be because he’s challenged for the Rocket Richard a few times and really deserves it.    I also wanted him long term but this was a close second favourite scenario.   We should have loads of cap space then and even better if we can lock him in for 8 years then we will have him for his entire prime and then some.  A 5-6 year deal would have been worse ... a 2 year deal terrible .. one would have been ok...7-8 great because we would not have to worry about him for a long time .... technically we can have BB for 13 years now ... not much not to like about this nobody should be complaining at all. 

And if anything JB has shown us now with virtually EVERY RFA deal he’s fair but won’t budge into a player friendly deal at all. 

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Do they really lack quality depth though? Jonnsson 5 x 5 PP sixty is almost elite, and Kapanen isnt chopped liver either.  Yes they are going to have to make some moves next year to keep their defense relevant but their top six or nine is almost as good as anyone else’s.    

Llindgren  is still in the woodworks and they have a few other decent secondary players untapped that could help too.  They probably would have beat Boston this year if Kadri wasn’t suspended - and this years roster is looking better ... I’d definitely say their window is at the widest now but it should still be open for the next five years too.   Compared to the Canucks top six it’s not even close,  And this year at least their defense lines up better too.   The only bragging rights we have are our bottom six players whoopie- do.  

I still prefer our cap structure long term- but you have to hand it to them, they do have a lot going for them.   And of course I hope they fall flat on their faces again. Doubt it happens this year though ..

I don't think you're really addressing the issue though - if the question is the Leafs depth.

Naming Johnsson as "depth" - a guy who is penciled into their 2LW spot - pretty much misses the point.  Likewise with Kapanen, who is for all intents and purposes their 7th forward.  I don't think anyone would argue that their top 6 or even 9 is lacking - but that's not what most people refer to when they are talking depth.

I can't agree with you when you claim their roster is looking better.

Hainsey is gone.  Kadri is gone.  Gardiner is gone. Connor Brown is gone.  Marleau is gone. Zaitsev is gone.  Guys like Komarov, Bozak, Leivo are gone....

Do Barrie and Kerfoot close that gap?  Ceci?  

And those were teams (the repeat losers to the Bruins) that had top end talent, but did not have the depth to support it.

You have a 3rd pairing presently of Dermott and Liljegren - and Ceci in their top 4 (I like Ceci's potential, but is he a proven top 4, not imo) - where their blueline's depth was already suspect.  Hard to argue that is better depth than they've had.  Likewise when you have Nick Shore, Nick Petan, Trevor Moore, and a misfit 'shutdown' 4C in Spezza rounding out their forward 'depth' - and the kicker comes when they have to find placeholders/replacement parts to step up if/when they have injuries.   I think those are the depth issues - combined with a cap crunch that really limits their flexibility - that people refer to when they question the Leafs depth/build - it's not really a question of the talent of a Johnsson or Kapanen (both very good players imo) - it's what they have beyond that tier that impresses you that is in question.  And you  can poopoo/whoopdie-doo the importance of bottom six F or 3rd pairing D - but what you witnessed repeatedly was a Boston team that rekt Toronto in precisely those areas - a team that may not have had as impressive top end talent, but nevertheless has sent Toronto home in the first round year after year.   It wasn't just Boston's top end - guys like Kuraly, Acciari, Heinen destroyed Toronto.

I don't think anyone disputes that Toronto has some high end scoring talent - but it's hard to look at the present lineup and consider it 'better' than it was.  I have lower expectations of them this coming year than last - you never know - maybe that actually serves them if the pressure/expectation eases off a bit - but depth matters, and theirs has a lot to prove.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, KanNuck said:

6×7M or 7×7M doesn't matter. 49M definitely is a secure number and provides stability for BB based on his freak injury however if (knock on wood and God forbid) if anything happens BB still has 17.5M GUARANTEED dollars.

Bottom line is this is good for the team and I prefer it to a long term deal. We really aren't sure and can't 100% say for sure what we have in BB. It looks like he's a 30-40G guy but there are or at least should be concerns given his injury history in not only the NHL but the NCAA. 

If BB performs as I and the majority of the fan base hopes then perfect! We resign him to a long term deal and it's all peachy. If not... We have options to not Qualify or to trade him etc... This is good asset management.

As a fan who really hated Benning he started to sway me the last two years via his drafting, the start of this summer with excellent UFA signings and now this deal. I am for the first time 100% confident and happy with our GM. 

Now let's watch the media spin it how were all screwed and couldn't sign him to more based on cap constraints yet they praise the Laffs who are paying 4 (soft) players 40M.

Toronto is paying 3 of those guys 11M and none of them have ever hit 100 PTS, 

Mathews career high is 73 

Tavares career high 88 

Marner career high 94

None of them are worth near the 11M, can't win a playoff serious to sad their lives and this is praised by the media yet Benning is knocked on... Blows my mind.

The Laffs are 10M + over the cap. I thought even with LTIR that a team cannot exceed the cap by more than 10% in the off-season. I have a feeling if Vancouver's did this there would be serious recapture or penalties involved. I am so sick of Toronto being hailed and praised when it's a bloody tire fire. 

Vancouver wins a playoff series long before Toronto. I'd bet everything I have on it 

Does that mean we win a few games before they do ?.... because they have a better team this year by quite a margin.   

I’m a bit of a homer but can admit to that.   Kapanen and Johnsson are both not far away or on part with Nylander... in other words about the same as Horvat and Miller as far as production goes.   Tavares, Mathews and Marner are all ahead of EP at this point ... and BB too.  

Barrie and OReilly far ahead of Hughes, Myers and Edler. 

We will be struggling to make the wild card spot likely. - but think we will make it - while they will breeze into the playoffs

2 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

Oh I must have misread capfriendly, it was after a night shift lol.

Thanks for the correction.

Even at 7.5 that is still going to look good, I agree.

I would have thought, on a 7 or 8 year deal, we would already be paying him $7.5 mill. That qualifying figure is fine!

I'm jacked. I love the three year term.  Gone are the days when you can pressure RFA's on bridge deals. See PK Subban, 2012 $2.9Mill by memory.  $5.875 sounds like a lot on a bridge for Brock.  But its the market. Konecny just goy $5.5mill for 3 years & Boeser >> Konecny.

The three year term expires at 25 & we can sign him for another 5 or 7 years.  It means we have, for example, so much more ooportunity to see Brock Boeser in a Canuck uni. Compared to say Tavares leaving the Island at 27. NYI's paid for having him on a cheap 6 year deal. Matthews can walk from TO, who wouldn't want that? At age 26. This sorta bridge, even for more money, would have served them so much better!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Does that mean we win a few games before they do ?.... because they have a better team this year by quite a margin.   

I’m a bit of a homer but can admit to that.   Kapanen and Johnsson are both not far away or on part with Nylander... in other words about the same as Horvat and Miller as far as production goes.   Tavares, Mathews and Marner are all ahead of EP at this point ... and BB too.  

We will be struggling to make the wild card spot likely. - but think we will make it - while they will breeze into the playoffs

They made the playoffs by 3 points last year.  There’s so much parity in the league that I think there is a 20-30% chance they miss this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning is genius here on the contract.  Getting Brock for 3 years was already a great deal, but if he can lock him up for 8 years after that then Brock won't see free agency until he is 33 years old.  Brock Boeser, Forever a Canuck... 

I prefer bridge deals - and this is one of the reasons.  They enable you to re-sign your RFAs to long term deals when they expire, and you're able to buy more of their UFA years.

Boeser may prove in the course of this bridge that he's worth more than the 7ish million he may have gotten on a 7 year deal at this point - however, that is a risk you take - and hope he does just that.  It may cost you a couple more million/year through those 4 to 7 years, but there is also another upside.

When you re-up Boeser after this 3 year deal, you are signing a long term deal with a player entering his prime.

When you sign a player like Boeser at this point to a long term deal, he's a UFA in his latter 20s.   At that point you face two relatively uncomfortable options = 1) he could walk in his prime as a UFA, much like Tavares did, or 2) he commands another long term deal taking him from his late 20s through to his mid 30s or beyond.  That may look relatively inconsequential at this point, but it might not be inconsequential in 7 years time, when it will matter - and this way, at that point, you have him on those terms for a relatively ideal 3 additional years, as opposed to potentially 7....  The NYI might not have cared much when they inked Tavares to his original long term deal, feeling it gave them lots of window to be successful, but in the end his UFA status wound up falling right in the sweet spot of their window. 

I think all in all, the risk/benefit favours the bridge, even if it costs you a few more million of cap in the 4 to 7 year range - and moreover, there is less risk if the player does not in fact live up to projections/potential.   With a bridge there remains that incentive to excel through those key, young formative years - and I think that might create more ideal conditions for that player to excel, as well as gives them the opportunity to revisit market value after those 3 years (and fair enough if he exceeds that 7.5 million value).   In the meantime, if the Canucks rise faster than anticipated, they also have that slight cap savings to use in the shorter term. 

And then there is the additional, fundamental question of having earned it.  Have players that produce for a year or two at the NHL level earned 50ish million contracts?  Not in my opinion - I think those should be rare exceptions - generational and franchise players that might command long terms coming off their ELC - but the emerging norm of signing every Nylander, Keller, etc to 7 year deals as 21/22 year olds - I hope that comes to a swift end - and I'm relieved that Boeser is and was willling to be an exception to that trend.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

They made the playoffs by 3 points last year.  There’s so much parity in the league that I think there is a 20-30% chance they miss this year.

i can tell your diet is severely lacking

you need some blue koolaid

though your post is accurate

it does not align with the message coming out of the centre of the universe

(that shanaplan is working and is the perfect model for all)

you clearly need the mind alteration that the blueness is surely to bring

drink copious amounts

you are severely dehydrated

:P

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Some bold statements here...I might have to revisit this later on down the road....   I've heard this every year and it doesn't mean it'll happen that way.

And EP's just getting going.  I wouldn't "compare" based on limited sample size.  Ahead how?

45 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I think we are far more likely to do damage if we do make the playoffs. Look at St Louis and LA. Toronto is likely going to breeze into the post season where as we will have to scratch and claw our way in.

Who plays a tough physical brand of hockey in that group in Toronto? Zach Hyman? Who else? We have guys like Ferland, Miller, Pearson, Rousell then add in Virtanan and Horvat I just see us tougher on the body to handle in a 7 game series and coming in fighting down the stretch.

Agree to disagree and I respect my fellow posters opinions I would bet just about anything tho on the Canucks going further then the Leafs. Again just my opinion. 

Edit- I wouldn't call Mathews ahead, the guys career high is 73pts and Marner had a breakout year his other seasons are right along the same lines as EP BB and BH.

Had EP not been hit by Matheson or had he had the PP exposure to guys of the same calibre I'd say he's at least on par. Same goes for BB.

Is it unrealistic to see EP at 80+ (Tavares numbers)? Or BB at 73 PTS (Mathews career best) if he remains healthy? I don't think so at all. I do see your point but I don't think they're that much better than us and they're a regular season built team IMO.

Edited by KanNuck
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Why don’t we worry about that when the time comes.  If this contract had told us anything BB is willing to be reasonable and jf he commands 9.8 later it will only be because he’s challenged for the Rocket Richard a few times and really deserves it.    I also wanted him long term but this was a close second favourite scenario.   We should have loads of cap space then and even better if we can lock him in for 8 years then we will have him for his entire prime and then some.  A 5-6 year deal would have been worse ... a 2 year deal terrible .. one would have been ok...7-8 great because we would not have to worry about him for a long time .... technically we can have BB for 13 years now ... not much not to like about this nobody should be complaining at all. 

And if anything JB has shown us now with virtually EVERY RFA deal he’s fair but won’t budge into a player friendly deal at all. 

Im not worried. I have kids bills work business ... many things to worry about. I don't worry about hockey players or foot ball player salaries.  I have an opinion on it and that's about all. 

It's entertainment for me. Like some ppl watch movies or reality TV.  I watch sports. 

I don't think mngmt made the right deal here. That's my view. Konecky is a heck of a player in Philly  he signed 6 yrs 5.5 mill that's a good deal. 

If your gonna pay Boeser close to 6 you gotta get him longer term. 

The idea is to use the cba to your advantage.  

Canucks paid market value now and will pay market value when this deal expires. Would be better to get him 6 plus yrs. Pay more than market value first 3 yrs but lower last few yrs. That way you have more cap space when it's time to contend for a cup and add a piece or two at the tdl. 

Edit typo

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Im not worried. I have kids bills work business ... many things to worry about. I don't worry about hockey players or foodball player salaries.  I have an opinion on it and that's about all.

though i appreciate it is a typo

that seems like a sport i could really support

maybe you should consider starting a league

Edited by coastal.view
  • Haha 2

Character players want to win - sometimes as much as adding 500k to their cap hit per year in years 3, 4 or whatever.

This team was fortunate enough to have Sedins, Hamhuis, Burrows, Hansen, Edler, etc - players that never really milked market value out of the franchise, recognizing that leaving a bit on the table went to their team-mates a bit below them on the 'food-chain' / depth chart.

It's what enabled the team to add guys like Malhotra, or Higgins, etc in the key, competitive window years.

I wonder if any of them look back and regret not having another millino in their bank account - or whether in the end it doesn't really matter to them - what is, really, the difference (in terms of security, quality of life, etc) between a 50 million contract, or 45?   Can't say I know the answer to that, but it would appear that the team benefitted to some extent from a 'team' culture - one where 'hometown' players enabled the team's contention to some extent by leaving a bit of cap space on the table for the Gillis' to work with when it mattered.

It might just evolve that players like Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes et al = could be another generation of not-quite me-first players.

Horvat certainly did not sign a me-first deal when he inked his longer term deal - and hopefully that doesn't come back to bite when he becomes a UFA (maybe a bit earlier than for comfort).

Boeser here looks to have signed a pretty team-friendly deal imo (it might be a higher end bridge, but it's still a bridge)  and he did so in a timely way that won't interfere with the coming season or the team's competitiveness (imo they need all their young talent in the lineup to be competitive).

Do EP, Hughes et al follow suit?  Who knows - but at this stage, it looks like a character group that is not simply focused on their personal bottom line alone.

I'm not sure what the team itself would have preferred (maybe management leaned towards long term for their reasons) but from my perspective, I think this was a character signing by Boeser.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

What happened on 650 apparently Hakinson (whoever tf that guy is) spilled the tea on the Boeser deal

I think he’s Bess’s agent?  He said that the Canucks offered 7x7 back in June, and he advised Brock to pass on it.  He was pissed that offer was recently leaked.  It makes him look foolish to have given such poor advice.  

27 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Character players want to win - sometimes as much as adding 500k to their cap hit per year in years 3, 4 or whatever.

This team was fortunate enough to have Sedins, Hamhuis, Burrows, Hansen, Edler, etc - players that never really milked market value out of the franchise, recognizing that leaving a bit on the table went to their team-mates a bit below them on the 'food-chain' / depth chart.

It's what enabled the team to add guys like Malhotra, or Higgins, etc in the key, competitive window years.

I wonder if any of them look back and regret not having another millino in their bank account - or whether in the end it doesn't really matter to them - what is, really, the difference (in terms of security, quality of life, etc) between a 50 million contract, or 45?   Can't say I know the answer to that, but it would appear that the team benefitted to some extent from a 'team' culture - one where 'hometown' players enabled the team's contention to some extent by leaving a bit of cap space on the table for the Gillis' to work with when it mattered.

It might just evolve that players like Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes et al = could be another generation of not-quite me-first players.

Horvat certainly did not sign a me-first deal when he inked his longer term deal - and hopefully that doesn't come back to bite when he becomes a UFA (maybe a bit earlier than for comfort).

Boeser here looks to have signed a pretty team-friendly deal imo (it might be a higher end bridge, but it's still a bridge)  and he did so in a timely way that won't interfere with the coming season or the team's competitiveness (imo they need all their young talent in the lineup to be competitive).

Do EP, Hughes et al follow suit?  Who knows - but at this stage, it looks like a character group that is not simply focused on their personal bottom line alone.

I'm not sure what the team itself would have preferred (maybe management leaned towards long term for their reasons) but from my perspective, I think this was a character signing by Boeser.

Like you say, these guys are super competitive.  Their salaries have to make sense within the team.  The Leafs got into big trouble paying way too much to Matthews.  Marner, deservedly so, wanted similar dollars.

Its good Petey and Hughes come up before Brock’s contract is finished.  Then they can each get a fair number, but nothing crazy like the Leafs.  What are the Leafs going to pay Reilly?  

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, canucksnihilist said:

Great contract!

the Canucks are in a cap crunch now - this is the best option for them.  The cap hit is reasonable as well

long term they might lose a bit of cap space....  but it is still fair 

no crunch whatsoever.We're $1.7m over the cap right now, but we have to send down 3 players off the main roster to get to 23. 825k is the lowest figure, so that's at least $2.4m+ off our cap hit. Didn't include Roussel's LTIR relief if we somehow need it.

• Like 1