The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign F Brock Boeser to 3 year deal with AAV of $5.875 million

Adarsh Sant

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think the agent is “covering his a$$.  The Canucks leaked the 7x7 offer from back in June.  The agent screwed up telling Brock to wait for more money.  Brock’s contract is way less than the other guys from his draft who have scored less than him.  The agent is the only one upset, because he’s embarrassed.  He’s trying to squeeze too much out of the teams for the players he represents.  He’s misread the market.  

In the long term, the deal Boeser got will net him more cash.  

The Canucks first choice was a long term deal.  Most people think that his numbers are worse than they could have been.  A healthy Boeser surely would have had more than 30 goals in each of his first 2 full seasons but we really don't know what his ceiling is.  I think that 7 x 7 would be a bargain for the Canucks and so did Boeser and his agent.

The agent went on to explain how the situation changed as Benning made signings in June and July and how there just wasn't the money available.  I think that at the point Ferland was signed, Benning knew that a long term deal wasn't going to happen.  And in a way, these signings forced the deal to be a shorter term involving no UFA years because there was just no cap space to do that any more.  The agent was explaining that.

I don't know how many times Hankinson was interviewed.  It was at least twice.  Once by Sportsnet and once by TSN.  I don't know whether the interview was just replayed  or there were more.  The cynical side of me says that this was about self promotion but on the other hand, the story is compelling and Hankinson told much more than anyone expected including he and Benning swearing at each other over the phone :lol:.  I can't imagine Benning being that animated.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Never negotiate in public, never.  This message has been repeated by all the best GM's/Agents over and over.  The deal was signed, sealed and delivered - there was  no reason to 'out' the process other than the scavengers (media) wanting to pick the bones of a fading story.  I wouldn't go so far as to say this was an 'unclassy' move by the agent, but definitely not a necessary one. 

On a related note, I think the move by JB to get Ferk was pretty shrewd.  It filled a need on the team and it sent a clear message to Brock and his camp in the sense that there are options out there and the organization is fully prepared to explore said options if/when necessary. 

All this said, here's to Brock hitting the ice running so to speak and being a big part of this team's future success! 

I'm sure Brocks pretty happy to have Ferkie on his line, no doubt.

On 1040 yesterday he said that Benning had already called to say that they wanted to do an 8-year deal next... we are two years from new negotiations and the agent is already disclosing what is happening behind the scenes. 

Kind of ironic because earlier in the broadcast he whined about how earlier negotiation information was leaked. Maybe it is because his mouth moves faster than his brain and he leaked the earlier contract offer without even knowing. 

Image result for william h macy fargo

Edited by Down by the River
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

That thread title tho xD

It's true though, Boester. In general, agents want to make sure that they're penetrating the GM with every tactic they can so that when it comes to the final contract, the thrusting on numbers and term aren't all for nothing.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

True. But if you're an agent confident in your abilities, you don't need to use a local Vancouver radio station to elevate your platform. The agent was trying to get just as much out of this as 650/1040.

thats whats so unprofessional imo about this guy. You never hear agents like Brisson talk this way, ever. 

But I suppose we're very fortunate. Since Brocks agent seems like a tool, we didn't end up with a contract situation like TO has :lol: maybe we need to send Hackinson notes of encouragement for the next contract. 

22 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

On 1040 yesterday he said that Benning had already called to say that they wanted to do an 8-year deal next... we are two years from new negotiations and the agent is already disclosing what is happening behind the scenes. 

Kind of ironic because earlier in the broadcast he whined about how earlier negotiation information was leaked. Maybe it is because his mouth moves faster than his brain and he leaked the earlier contract offer without even knowing. 

Image result for william h macy fargo

The picture perfectly sums up what I was thinking when listening to the movie.  The guy had the accent to go with it.  Perfect.

In the end, it doesn't matter one bit what he said in the interview.  The deal got done and there are things in it for both sides, and also things for each side to not like.  7x7 would also have had plus and minuses for both sides.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

True. But if you're an agent confident in your abilities, you don't need to use a local Vancouver radio station to elevate your platform. The agent was trying to get just as much out of this as 650/1040.

Agreed. 

7 hours ago, Jasin23 said:

I really encourage all of you to listen to the interview on Sportsnet 650 with the Brock's agent. Some really good inside to the whole negotiation and how the management works. I think he revealed litlle bit more, than Jim Benning would like him too.

-Aquaman was involved in the later stages, I would say heavily

-Long term deal was closer than we think

-Both camps gave up something, they met in the middle in the end

-Brock's mentality, wanted the show me contract and is confident in his abilities

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/sportsnets-starting-lineup/brock-boesers-agent-really-close-getting-long-term-deal-done/

PS: TSN1040 did the interview with him too, but didn't listen to it, however below is the link.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/hankinson-vancouver-best-place-for-boeser-will-look-to-sign-long-term-1.1366968

It definitely sounds like there was a impasse going back quite awhile and it took the owner stepping in to negotiate to get the deal done, thank goodness the owner finally got more involved. It sounded like there was bad blood building up.

• Upvote 1