The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign F Brock Boeser to 3 year deal with AAV of $5.875 million

Adarsh Sant

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A 3 year deal may turn out to be the best option.

In 3 years the cap is expected to go way up and we’ll have a bunch of contracts coming off the books.

If in 3 years he’s worth 10 million I think we’ll all be very happy. Means he outperformed his contract big time and developed into an elite player.

More time to really see where he plateaus too.

Welcome back Boes! Let’s start the push for the playoffs!

It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple summers. EP will get paid huge, hopefully next July, hope we sign Quin next summer too. If Brock goes 40g seasons and up the next 3 years he could cost 11-14m to sign which is kind of scary

WOW. SO happy to have Brock tho I have to side with Ossi on this one.!! Is it Oct 2nd yet??

p.s. I think Brock just wanted to miss Greeners bag skates

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

That is cheap. A win for the organization and GMs everywhere. 

Brock should can his agent though. Damn, I never even considered under 6. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This deal is structured very cleverly.  When the three years are up, Boeser is still an RFA, and the QO would have to be at least $7.5.  If he has a bad year or two or just overall underperforms, he either gets the 7.5 or essentially becomes a UFA if no qualifying offer is given.  If he performs well, he can ask for a lot more.  The price he pays isn't huge, with a 5.875 AAV on the contract for just three years. This is a nice compromise for all concerned.  The canucks don't have to shovel money at a very good player with a lot of potential, but not a huge track record and Boeser will get paid one way or another at the end of it if he develops a track record.  Good work by both sides.  Too bad it took a week longer than we'd like, but some times that's what it takes to get the right deal for both sides.

• Upvote 1

This is a contract where the player is not only doing a solid for the team, but is betting on himself.  If he isn't worth the hit, we can trade him, but if he comes in and nails it, he's going to get paid.  And no one here will mind that in the slightest.  

• Upvote 4

Just now, Dr.BRR said:

WOW. SO happy to have Brock tho I have to side with Ossi on this one.!! Is it Oct 2nd yet??

p.s. I think Brock just wanted to miss Greeners bag skates

Its not a cheap deal, he is betting on himself being healthy and producing, plus the cap will go up. He might make 3-5m more per year on his next deal vs just signing for 6-8 years at say 8m per

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bitter Melon said:

But I thought there was no chance Boeser resigns for less than 7 @Elias Pettersson

I don't think he would have signed for anything less than 7 on a 6 year deal, if that was that poster's point. Still for a bridge contract this came under what I thought he would get. I thought he would get closer to ~6.25M on a 3 year deal. This is a great contract and both Benning and Brock get a lot of credit IMO. Lets put all this negativity behind and get behind all of our players.

• Upvote 4