The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings sign Ben Hutton

18 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

Hutton was a likeable guy and has some skills, but really never developed a well rounded game here.  I hope he finds his place in LA.

He was actually not bad last year, just not worth more than 2 million. He was horrendous the year before though. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

15 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

He was actually not bad last year, just not worth more than 2 million. He was horrendous the year before though. 

He did have a good season last year. The year before that the entire d-core was brutal. You start from the net out and Marky got it together last year which helped the       d-cores numbers. Better offence takes pressure off d-cores. Bottom line with Hutton was that his development was rushed, no AHL time, and the Canucks were thursting for a d-man who could produce offence. Hutton's rookie season showed such promise but his d-side game was allowed to slide. When defense became important he added weight to allow a better physical challenge on the boards. That worked but he had to adjust. I thought he did that last year. Glad he got a contract but much of his shortcomings I chaulk off to poor development in a struggling franchise.   

On 9/19/2019 at 3:47 PM, theo5789 said:

Seems like they overplayed their hand in thinking they would get a serious deal. Is that strictly the agent's fault? The agent must've brought the offer to Hutton and he madly have said no or to wait for other offers. But certainly doesn't look good now if he did get that offer. Probably fake news considering the source.

Do you really want to play in Montreal? The fans are crazy.

If Hutton was being trashed (albeit lightly by Vancouver fans), Montreal fans would tear him apart. I think he deserves a break, no?

12 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

If Hutton was being trashed (albeit lightly by Vancouver fans), Montreal fans would tear him apart. I think he deserves a break, no?

I don't think he hated his time here. If you perform well, you are adored. It goes both ways. At the end of the day, if you can't tune out the noise and focus on your game, you likely won't last long. Montreal itself is generally regarded as a great city to live in too.

So instead of locking in 9 million guaranteed, he takes a 1 year show me deal on a team that finished near the bottom last season? I can understand a deal like this with a contender. I just don't think Montreal made that offer because it would've been a no brainer. Unless they're banking on a great year in LA and believe they can get more over the next couple of seasons to make up the difference and supposedly more.

• Upvote 1

Just now, theo5789 said:

I don't think he hated his time here. If you perform well, you are adored. It goes both ways. At the end of the day, if you can't tune out the noise and focus on your game, you likely won't last long. Montreal itself is generally regarded as a great city to live in too.

So instead of locking in 9 million guaranteed, he takes a 1 year show me deal on a team that finished near the bottom last season? I can understand a deal like this with a contender. I just don't think Montreal made that offer because it would've been a no brainer. Unless they're banking on a great year in LA and believe they can get more over the next couple of seasons to make up the difference and supposedly more.

There was another player that decided to avoid Montreal too this offseason, and signed with another team. Forgot his name. Will come back to this one.

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think that was a miscalculation by him/his agent thinking there'd be more similar/better deals once more of the RFA dominoes fell. 

There wasn't.

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

There was another player that decided to avoid Montreal too this offseason, and signed with another team. Forgot his name. Will come back to this one.

Benn? :lol:

11 minutes ago, mll said:

Jake Gardiner

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think that was a miscalculation by him/his agent thinking there'd be more similar/better deals once more of the RFA dominoes fell. 

There wasn't.

Benn? :lol:

That's the one - Gardiner.

He had an offer from Montreal but he was from TO formerly - and he was roasted there for years. So I think he was sick of all the media coverage.

Edited by Dazzle

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

That's the one - Gardiner.

He had an offer from Montreal but he was from TO formerly - and he was roasted there for years. So I think he was sick of all the media coverage.

Yeah, Benn got an equal offer to ours to stay and declined as well :lol:

36 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Hutton 'trashed'?

I got the opposite impression - that he was quite well liked here - and probably given considerably more tolerance/forgiveness than most of his peers.   While there has been a fairly steady stream of whipping boys / receptacles of projection on the Van blueline the past number of years, Hutton has generally been relatively fluffed - as a 'legit top 4' - in the midst of a couple fairly poor seasons where he regressed and struggled significantly, particularly two seasons ago.

I personally would rather play in Montreal than a whole lot of other markets - perhaps Hutton will like the relative anonymity in L.A. - and if he repeats his performance of the past few years it might be best that he not be in a market like Montreal (where he'll be held 'accountable' and then some) - but I'd have to wonder about the character/confidence of a player that avoided a hockey market because the attention would be too detrimental.  In that sense, I'd be as inclined to avoid Vancouver as Montreal....

• Upvote 1