The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau apologizes for wearing brownface during 2001 event at school

CBH1926

8 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

So you’d be okay going somewhere with a bunch of white folks painting their faces to look like yours and acting normal?

If they did it for a costume party I'd have zero problem with it.

If on Halloween I slapped on a Donald Trump mask, put a pillow under my shirt, wore an ill fitting suit with a red tie that was way too long, would you be offended or think that was racist?

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Trudeau caught blackfacing 3x and his supporters are still defending him :picard:. Dude is clearly racist.  I bet some would still defend him if he showed up at the next debate wearing a Nazi or slave-trader outfit(if he showed up at all)

we're not sure if its 3X or if that pic is the high school admission. But 2-3X, heck maybe more.

No one would defend him if he did that today, thats ridiculous. 

But no excuses, Trudeau has to wear this and take the beating. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

If they did it for a costume party I'd have zero problem with it.

If on Halloween I slapped on a Donald Trump mask, put a pillow under my shirt, wore an ill fitting suit with a red tie that was way too long, would you be offended or think that was racist?

No, it’s not racist to make fun of those white devils or call them names.

33 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Trudeau caught blackfacing 3x and his supporters are still defending him :picard:. Dude is clearly racist.  I bet some would still defend him if he showed up at the next debate wearing a Nazi or slave-trader outfit(if he showed up at all)

Funny thing is, I don't see anyone actually 'defending' him. The costumes (and in particular the skin makeup) were dumb. That makes him dumb for wearing dumb costumes/makeup. It does not however, make him a racist. They're just costumes.

Now if there's videos of him mocking the people who he's dressed up as and implying they're inferior, deserve less rights, a voting history against them etc...THAT would be racist.

Racist actions and statements make you racist, not costumes.

(P.S. I think most of us already thought he was kinda dumb :lol:)

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

So you’d be okay going somewhere with a bunch of white folks painting their faces to look like yours and acting normal?

I am going to assume you're not a Trudeau fan. Don't know where I got that impression from but let's go with it. There are so many other things to hammer him on. Such as his broken promise of electoral reform, his buying the country a pipeline, the handling of the SNC affair, his wacky trip to India.

But you choose to blow a gasket over some silly costumes from decades ago. When there is so much legit ammo to gripe about why you lose your mind over this is vexing. Maybe it's because no one seems to care much about the other things and you're grasping at straws.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

one of the funniest movies ever out of that era. Could not make it today tho, even tho an actor like Jamie Foxx would hit this out of the park. 

There is only one Cleavon Little (rest in peace), only one Gene Wilder (rest in peace), and only one Mel Brooks.

Blazing Saddles is a movie that should never ever be remade. It's one of the greatest comedies to this day, and is perfect.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Funny thing is, I don't see anyone actually 'defending' him. The costumes (and in particular the skin makeup) were dumb. That makes him dumb for wearing dumb costumesmakeup. It does not however, make him a racist. They're just costumes.

Now if there's videos of him mocking the people who he's dressed up as and implying they're inferior, deserve less rights, a voting history against them etc...THAT would be racist.

Racist actions and statements make you racist, not costumes.

(P.S. I think most of us already thought he was kinda dumb :lol:)

He's being judged in the news and on the tweety right now on whether or not he's done enough since then to have any credibility left to be believed that he's really sorry about it. I suspect that he has done enough, but he's going to be on very thin ice going forward.

I fully expect some tears in his afternoon press conference, and they had better be real, not some acting job or he's in even more trouble. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

He's being judged in the news and on the tweety right now on whether or not he's done enough since then to have any credibility left to be believed that he's really sorry about it. I suspect that he has done enough, but he's going to be on very thin ice going forward.

I fully expect some tears in his afternoon press conference, and they had better be real, not some acting job or he's in even more trouble. 

I'd be perfectly fine if he Allen Iverson'd it personally :lol: (I know.... it will never happen :rolleyes:)

I'm so tired of all this empty pandering to dying media clawing to stay relative and the noisy minority fringes who don't speak for the rest of us largely sensible, silent majority.

We're letting the desperate and the moronic rule the conversation.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I'd be perfectly fine if he Allen Iverson'd it personally :lol: (I know.... it will never happen :rolleyes:)

I'm so tired of all this empty pandering to dying media clawing to stay relative and the noisy minority fringes who don't speak for the rest of us largely sensible, silent majority.

giphy.gif

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

"We talkin' 'bout blackface?, blackface? Not the economy, not foreign relations, blackface? blackface?"

• Haha 1