The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau apologizes for wearing brownface during 2001 event at school

CBH1926

16 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. If someone idolizes someone of another race, how is it insulting?

When I was 12, I idolized Jimi Hendrix and wanted to dress up like him for Halloween one year. I got the clothes and guitar down but didn’t quite look right. I wanted to apply some makeup to pull it off, but my mom advised against it. She understood how much I wanted to be Hendrix and said that it wouldn’t go over. 

At no time did I believe what I was doing was racist because to me Jimi was the man. It was a kid wanting to be like his idol. 

I see your point.  I also see lot of Asians dyeing their hair to red or blonde, wearing color contacts etc. Maybe they want to look like anime character or maybe they want to look white. Whatever.  I don't see it as racists per se. It is the intention that matters. Unintentional racism is something we all can learn from, being more respectful to each other. I see enough of JTs policies and hires that show he is for diversity, multiculturalism and acceptance, quite opposite of the racist in the white house at the moment. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

People want to forgive JT.  They naturally want him, because of his good looks, to lead.  It's either JT, who looks the part, or Scheer.  People will forgive JT and vote in a Liberal majority.  If JT were not so attractive, we would naturally want to vilify him.  That's why Scheer is not so easily forgiven for past transgressions.  We intrinsically don't think he looks the leader. 

well, thats probably true for some voters :lol: we are a shallow species.

In this case I think it has to do more with a sense of authenticity. Scheers take on marriage equality is fundamentally inauthentic. He doesn't like it and the best he can do is say he'll uphold the law, but you know he'd love to see it changed. It doesn't matter if he looked like Rock Hudson, people view that kind of this as being an inauthentic person. 

With Justin, he's very authentic doing something dumb and/or without thinking, but you can also belive him when he says he's sorry, and he also has a decent track record of trying to make things equal. Authentic. 

Its the same reason so many Americans aren't bothered by guys like Trump and Biden, even though theres lots of reasons not to like either guy. But they are authentic. Hillary wasn't. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

A thought in Psychology is that saying sorry is a sign of strength. Not when an individual brings them self to do it, many internally think that is weak. However when we see someone else admit they were wrong it is seen as the responsible thing to do, strength. 

The Con's should have just released and let this simmer...not push the issue.

There's a real chance that this ends up being a good thing for JT.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, HeatSikhing said:

I'm not shocked by this at all, especially after his full clown tour of India a couple of years ago. 

Clearly JT  likes to dress up.....  Well he was a Drama teacher so what do you expect....  I always more thought of him as a "brown noser" more that " brown facer...."

Jokes aside.

Do you want a PM with poor judgment 20 years ago at a costume party.... ...  Or . Scheer who is an intolerant person with moral values that are not alligned with how most Canadians feel....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I was making a reply but I sense you are not asking me in good faith.  That is, I don't think you care what I have to say, since you've already made up your mind. 

If you are genuinely interested in this subject then a simple google search will pull up tons of legit scholar material.  Maybe even YouTube might give you something, especially regarding yellowface.

Not at all would like to know how a kid dressing up as Hendrix is exploitation and appropriation of a culture?  

• Cheers 1

If being accused of being racist cost JT Liberals votes in the lower mainland.....   

Will the accusation result in more liberal votes in Alberta / Sask ?

Just joking.... but seriously......  I don't really care about a guys costume at a costume party 20 years ago when he was in his 20's.

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If being accused of being racist cost JT Liberals votes in the lower mainland.....   

Will the accusation result in more liberal votes in Alberta / Sask ?

Just joking.... but seriously......  I don't really care about a guys costume at a costume party 20 years ago when he was in his 20's.

Then clearly you don't care about the need for complete and total indoctri….I mean, social justice in this country.

• Haha 1