The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau apologizes for wearing brownface during 2001 event at school

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I'm surprised he did that in the 2000's.

Even in the 90's a white boy going blackface would get his ass kicked.

Rich kids suck.

He was 29 then.  Not a kid.

Although he also admitted to doing it in High School which would have been late 80's.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JT was an adult and should have known better.  He was smart to immediately apologize.  This event will now disappear.  JT will lead the Liberals to a majority.  Scheer is just too damn weak and pudgy looking to lead anything but the library club.  

This event will now disappear.....Did you wave your magic wand, Alf?

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

It's racist. Trudeau said so himself. Good for him for owning it. If it's not a big deal, then why don't you guys go ahead and wear brownface. No takers? Didn't think so.

Can someone be racist if they are ignorant of the truth?  JT stated he knows now, from what he’s learned over the past 18 years, that his action was racist.  I see racism as being willfully ignorant.  One knows the truth, but chooses to ignore it.  When I was a kid the first brown person I met was a Sikh.  He had a turban, so I thought he was Arabian, like Haji from Johnny Quest.  We are all ignorant.  It’s whether we learn, and accept truth, or choose to live in our ignorance that’s important.  JT said he’s learned.  He should have known better, from our POV, but clearly he didn’t.  

Edited by Alflives

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

He was 29 then.  Not a kid.

Although he also admitted to doing it in High School which would have been late 80's.

Once a rich kid always a rich kid.

They're so totally out of touch with the majority of people.

Don't get me started 

I'm so close to committing my political self to anarchy these day, so close. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Once a rich kid always a rich kid.

They're so totally out of touch with the majority of people.

Don't get me started 

I'm so close to committing my political self to anarchy these day, so close. 

Totally agree.  JT lived a sheltered life.  I believe him when he says that at that time he didn’t understand the racism of wearing a coloured person’s face.  He admitted he was ignorant.  Now he’s learned.  Good for him.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The opposition party of course... :lol:

Honestly, I generally like Scheer, but this rubs me the wrong way. Seems like he and his party just saw an opportunity to advance their campaign and jumped on it rather than actually just thinking for themselves.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

You may want to put on your reading glasses - the article said that he did it when he was a High School teacher. 

I think that’s what Sabre said.  JT did it twice.  Once in high school, and once more as a teacher.  

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly, I generally like Scheer, but this rubs me the wrong way. Seems like he and his party just saw an opportunity to advance their campaign and jumped on it rather than actually just thinking for themselves.

Of course they did.  Canadian politics are becoming more and more like US politics.

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I've no issues with those of you guys who think that this is not a big deal because he apologized for his mistake. But for those of you who imply that putting brownface on regardless of the occasion is not a big deal should really try it so that you can make a more informed decision.

I think it's more a factor of it being 18 years ago than the act itself. If JT was putting on brownface yesterday, it would be a different reaction for sure.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can someone be racist if they are ignorant of the truth?  JT stated he knows now, from what he’s learned over the past 18 years, that his action was racist.  I see racism as being willfully ignorant.  One knows the truth, but chooses to ignore it.  When I was a kid the first brown person I met was a Sikh.  He had a turban, so I thought he was Arabian, like Haji from Johnny Quest.  We are all ignorant.  It’s whether we learn, and accept truth, or choose to live in our ignorance that’s important.  JT said he’s learned.  He should have known better, from our POV, but clearly he didn’t.  

To me, racism is the willful and purposeful degradation of another person based on their physical appearance, primarily skin tone and facial characteristics.

It can also involve nationality, and include open mockery of customs and regional practices. 

If you approximated a Sikh person to an Arabic person, I don’t consider that a racist action, but an uninformed one. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I've no issues with those of you guys who think that this is not a big deal because he apologized for his mistake. But for those of you who imply that putting brownface on regardless of the occasion is not a big deal should really try it so that you can make a more informed decision.

If a young poster painted their Face ID be okay with that.  They are young and still living in ignorance.  They will learn.  If one of us older posters painted our face, I’d say that’s racist.  That person would be choosing to be wilfully ignorant.  It would be like flying the Union Jack.