The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau apologizes for wearing brownface during 2001 event at school

CBH1926

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

on the 1st part - and? how would that be different if it was a dude as justice minister?

"is just silly" - is that the best argument you have against it? 

Yea. Because it is absolutely irresponsible to pick a group of leaders based on their race and gender rather than asking the real question. Are you the most qualified? Instead of asking "But are they brown?" 

It's silly, as in, stupid.

Edited by 5Fivehole0
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I know youre not calling him a racist. 

I just wanted to comment on what I thought was a bit of a spin by Fox. I saw Lemons commentary as a slight to leaders than never admit they are wrong.( cough, cough, Trump)

I think we spoke before that Freeland would be an awesome Lib leader. I really like her.

I am completely on the other side about JWR. Do not like or trust her at all. I admit I am swayed by a Crown lawyer friend of ours. When this broke, I expected our friend to be completely on JWR's side. I assumed this as our friend cut her teeth becoming a lawyer while working up North on Fist nations affairs. However, she said that Jody could have gone a bunch of different routes, believed JWR had an agenda, and that this type of pressure from the PM's office is not uncommon. She saw it as politicking.

He didn’t just say he was wrong, he tagged his privilege, assumably his very ancestry, to his apology, or possibly his wealth?

In either sense, it was a crafted apology which should need no introduction, but he gets let off by racist Don Lemonhead because he tagged his “privilege” into it, and by proxy, the white man. Politics, eh?! 

Virtue Signalling Champion of the World. 

I truly despise this clown. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

would there be no need for a conservative right if we made balanced budgets the law? (just using that as an example of what the right claims it is, they spend more than anyone).

Not sure why you're making the entire left about the "non white" thingy, which isn't what most people are talking about. Not sure you can reduce everyone to just that. 

I don’t accept your example, not even in good humour. 

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

He didn’t just say he was wrong, he tagged his privilege, assumably his very ancestry, to his apology, or possibly his wealth?

In either sense, it was a crafted apology which should need no introduction, but he gets let off by racist Don Lemonhead because he tagged his “privilege” into it, and by proxy, the white man. Politics, eh?! 

Virtue Signalling Champion of the World. 

I truly despise this clown. 

That's nice.  You don't like him.  the rest of us don't as well.

Let's talk election.

Why doesn't he deserve to lead over Scheer?  Why does Scheer deserve to lead over him?  Generals lead armies and like it or not we're stuck with these two.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Warhippy said:

That's nice.  You don't like him.  the rest of us don't as well.

Let's talk election.

Why doesn't he deserve to lead over Scheer?  Why does Scheer deserve to lead over him?  Generals lead armies and like it or not we're stuck with these two.

Thanks Hippy. 

I don’t want to vote for either man, but I think the Lib party wants to spend way too many of our resources on showing how inclusive they are, no matter the cost to the tax payer and regardless of whether or not we approve. 

Is there any good reason to think Scheer can lead a country, especially following a drama teacher’s dismal showing at the world stage? 

I defer to those invested in the race.

My contempt for JT knows no limits, I admit. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Thanks Hippy. 

I don’t want to vote for either man, but I think the Lib party wants to spend way too many of our resources on showing how inclusive they are, no matter the cost to the tax payer and regardless of whether or not we approve. 

Is there any good reason to think Scheer can lead a country, especially following a drama teacher’s dismal showing at the world stage? 

I defer to those invested in the race.

My contempt for JT knows no limits, I admit. 

The numbers aren't showing that expenditure though.

I posted some numbers someone had crunched regarding where the spending happened and to be honest it's not nearly as bad as people think.  Keeping in mind it takes no les than 1 full year before spending starts affecting things under a new government and about 18 months on average.  Trudeau committed to continuing a lot of stuff started under the old government and even expanding on some of it. 

1/3 of the accrued debt added was instituting or reopening social programs, such as the veterans affairs offices.

$20 ish billion was procurement and infrastructure projects started before Trudeau took office

$5 billion pipeline

Great Northern highway completion

Increased shipbuilding project and coast guard upgrades as well.

Doubling funding for Alberta in barely 4 years

Close to half of the entire debt accrued under Trudeau has been on projects and procurements started before he took office but continued and expanded by him.  As for dismal presence on the world stage, has it really been that bad?  India stopped caring about 5 days later, Modi and trudeau have been buddy buddy since.  Trump...to be honest I think Trudeau has acquitted himself quite well around that bi-polar turd, far better than Scheer would have IMO.  Bolsonarro?  The guy said he'd murder his own son if he was gay.  China?  Well...let's be honest, Harper was and is 3 times the leader Scheer ever would be and Harper capitulated on China as forcefully as trudeau has.  Unsure exactly what dismal showing people keep repeating 

This is now a race between the least disgusting turds in the pile because of the other 3 May seems like the only viable leader but stands zero chance of winning.  If we're currently between Turd Trudeau and turd Scheer, honestly I am holding my nose and hoping Trudeau wins (not voting liberal or con in my riding) because currently, I have to say economically he has acquitted himself, again quite well.  Near the top in the G20 for debt to gdp, middle of the G8 for growth, solidly placed in the OECD rankings for taxation and while people point to the summer jobs report as "only being part time" they ignore the fact that every year the summer and winter reports show mass "PT hires" and the September/January posting almost always show retractions 

To be totally honest, I love this brown face nonsense.  It forces the Libs to try to accept their idiocy because even they know how blatantly stupid they sound.  it forces the Cons to pretend they actually care about brown people (call the barabaric practices hotline and office of religious freedoms this one's a doozy) and that pathetic Scheer presser after the photos were released.  It is shining a light on the big two party's blatant and stupid hypocrisy and I love it.

But again, we HAVE to pick a turd to lead and if it's between the two.  the numbers solidly support Trudeau currently.  Numbers don't care about political bias.  Lately, neither do I

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not that I'm downplaying Trudeau in blackface (okay, I am) but I think it's rather telling that here we are making a huge scandal out of our PM wearing an offensive Halloween costume almost 2 decades ago.....

Meanwhile the POTUS attempted to blackmail a foreign leader into investigating a political rival in an attempt to better his chances at re-election. The reaction? "Trump being Trump"....

CDC: Where blackface 20 years ago is a bigger deal than blackmail 20 days ago....:rolleyes:

Eh. I think its more to do with the hypocrisy of it all that has people upset. To be honest, I just love watching Liberals devour any of their own that show weakness. They are like piranhas.

What Trudeau did is not racist, nor do I believe him to be. He's entitled and narrow minded, but not racist... But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy watching him squirm. Makes me a feel a little better about the Carbon Tax scam.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not going to argue choice with you. You don't want it, I do, so I think we'll have to leave it there as i don't think we can find common ground.

-

No, I'm not going to get boxed into that "equality of outcome" thing, its a false argument when it comes to how government actually runs. There's no reason at all that you can't pick a cabinet based on that principle and run a good government. 

How is the argument of equal opportunity doesn't mean equal outcome a false argument? It is literally the foundations of life. 

So do we need equal outcome in hockey? Why is it fair that Luongo got to play in the NHL and I didnt? I put in the hard work too. Vicki Sonohara? Why didn't she get to play in the NHL?

Its because we simply weren't good enough. Just like some of the people who Trudeau picked that resigned because they were in over their head and not QUALIFIED or lost confidence in Trudeau and his Globalist agenda.

Edited by 5Fivehole0
  • Upvote 1

I would just like to take a second to say that I don't dislike any of you for disagreeing with me. I think a lot of this conversation is about things people are afraid to speak out about. 

Its okay to have differing opinions. It doesn't make one side inheritantly evil. There are good hearted people on both sides. Its also okay to get offended, its just how you deal with it that matters.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Does it? 

It should. 

I asked an honest question and I think it’s a question framing our era.

You may not like the question or my insinuating your penchant for the rigging of thick via equality of outcome politics, but I’m genuine in my asking you for a perspective on things. You know much more about most of this than I do. 

I'm more than fine wit the question, its an important one to ask. I'm fine with the insinuation too :lol: but I don't think you have an accurate picture of why I support a gender balanced cabinet. I think its a good idea because - in practical terms now not philosophy - we're talking about 15 women instead of 7 or 8 at the decision making table. Why does that matter? Because I believe the more perspectives we have at the decision making table, the better government we'll have for everyone. Its pretty much that simple. I know we can go down philosophical rabbit holes, but I think you can see the logic of having 15 men and 15 women better representing the countries interests than 30 dudes. Is it guaranteed? Nope. But at least theres a better chance of fuller representation.

I don't see the problem with that, particularly because those jobs have no "best person". Thats a fallacy. If our system was designed on a 'best person' basis then why have an election at all? lets just make a system that plucks out the best person from the herd to lead us. Heck, how do we even know an election gives us the 'best person'. Maybe the best person is some independent you never heard of. The real institutional brain power is with people at the level of deputy minister and in the different government departments that don't change with the election cycle. 

His painted face means sweet f-all to me and likely to any serious person.

Agreed.

Is the Right into virtue signalling? I’d say it’s not even close as far as that behaviour goes. 

&^@# yes. They have mastered it. Have you forgotten "family values"? the "war on drugs"? the "tea party"? linking Christianity with right wing policies? 

The Right demanding protection for the majority and the freedoms and values they built the country with, have their issues. Strangely, they may have more in common with China and Islam, major migrant imports actually, than the Left does, when it comes down to preservation of core values. I find that a strange one. 

Our core values are in our laws and Charter. We don't need the CPC to wrap itself in the flag for our rights to be protected. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

How is the argument of equal opportunity doesn't mean equal outcome a false argument? It is literally the foundations of life. 

So do we need equal outcome in hockey? Why is it fair that Luongo got to play in the NHL and I didnt? I put in the hard work too. Vicki Sonohara? Why didn't she get to play in the NHL?

Its because we simply weren't good enough. Just like some of the people who Trudeau picked that resigned because they were in over their head and not QUALIFIED or lost confidence in Trudeau and his Globalist agenda.

189 argues that the Liberal policies are a forced "equality of outcome" and I don't agree. 

Globalism happened long before Trudeau. He's done very little on that front actually, other than some trade deals that we'd be screwed without. 

• Cheers 1

seems that this latest scandal isn't a killer for Trudeau: https://election.ctvnews.ca/no-drop-so-far-in-liberal-support-after-bombshell-revelations-nanos-1.4602168

Although I have my doubts that this tracks the millennial vote which I think he's tanked 

@Warhippy - do you know who gave the yearbook photos to Time? curious if its been leaked by the NDP or the CPC? 

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Scheer leaked some of it as well, he admitted to having it for a while: https://election.ctvnews.ca/trudeau-says-images-of-him-in-blackface-and-brownface-unacceptable-unsure-if-there-are-more-1.4600455

He was waiting for Trudeau to admit or deny if there were any other photos, so lucky for Trudeau he did admit to that on his initial press conference. 

I think Scheer was waiting to use this closer to the election day. I don't know who was the source of the private school yearbook but it was public domain so not sure you can really call it a leak when it was out there for anyone to find who looked.

Yeah I think once Morneau released that 15 year old video of Scheer... I wouldn’t doubt that this was retaliation.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

are you upset by the financial or racial example? 

Not upset, but yes, the financial issue. 

I do know they went over, but those weren’t exactly prosperous times to be in power either. I’d have to go back to see what infrastructure they spent on, I don’t pretend to be up on much of this Jimmy, that’s why I tag you all the time, bud. And thanks. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

seems that this latest scandal isn't a killer for Trudeau: https://election.ctvnews.ca/no-drop-so-far-in-liberal-support-after-bombshell-revelations-nanos-1.4602168

Although I have my doubts that this tracks the millennial vote which I think he's tanked 

@Warhippy - do you know who gave the yearbook photos to Time? curious if its been leaked by the NDP or the CPC? 

Time states a businessman associated with the high school in fact gave them to time magazine.

Scheer states they found and released the video Trudeau admitted existed.

I truly think Scheer was hoping he'd have the ability to drop that bomb at a later date