The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Justin Trudeau apologizes for wearing brownface during 2001 event at school

CBH1926

1 minute ago, SabreFan1 said:

Of course they did.  Canadian politics are becoming more and more like US politics.

It's not just North American politics. It's politics globally - especially now. The last time I saw a campaign go clean (or as clean as it gets) was the NDP with Adrian Dix, and he got obliterated by the Liberals despite leading the polls quite handily. Bad (fake or not) news in a world full of people trained on quick soundbites are effective.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If a young poster painted their Face ID be okay with that.  They are young and still living in ignorance.  They will learn.  If one of us older posters painted our face, I’d say that’s racist.  That person would be choosing to be wilfully ignorant.  It would be like flying the Union Jack.  

Guy was in his 20's and wore an inappropriate costume to a costume party....

Hopefully JT has grown up alot since this incident

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

To me, racism is the willful and purposeful degradation of another person based on their physical appearance, primarily skin tone and facial characteristics.

It can also involve nationality, and include open mockery of customs and regional practices. 

If you approximated a Sikh person to an Arabic person, I don’t consider that a racist  action, but an uninformed one. 

I totally agree.  To be uninformed is to be ignorant.  However, when the information is present, and we choose to ignore it, that is willful ignorance.  That refusing to accept and learn from the information presented, and still continuing to wear a painted face is racist.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

It's not just North American politics. It's politics globally - especially now. The last time I saw a campaign go clean (or as clean as it gets) was the NDP with Adrian Dix, and he got obliterated by the Liberals despite leading the polls quite handily. Bad (fake or not) news in a world full of people trained on quick soundbites are effective.

It's just sad to see Canada's politics also racing to the sewer.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

He said he has, and I believe him.  I can certainly believe that a guy who grew up spoiled rich, and then got a job teaching in a private school surrounded by a lot of other spoiled rich people would be ignorant of the reality that wearing a coloured mask to represent another people’s isn’t racist.  He likely thought he was being cute and funny.  He said he’s grown (learned) a lot since then.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I totally agree.  To be uninformed is to be ignorant.  However, when the information is present, and we choose to ignore it, that is willful ignorance.  That refusing to accept and learn from the information presented, and still continuing to wear a painted face is racist.  

Certainly. Not having information or knowledge about something is the textbook definition of ignorance. However, the term has taken on more negative connotations recently that don’t quite jibe with the real definition. 

Not knowing is much different than knowing and still acting as if you don’t  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Russ said:

Both Cons and NDP are trying to make political statements.

It was almost 20 bloody years ago, who freaking cares now.  Its like how they dug up some old anti-LGBTQ stuff some Cons said 20 years ago, thats a long time and people change, I hate this pettiness going around during elections, can't wait till all this crap is over in another month.

Welcome to 2019 

46 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. If someone idolizes someone of another race, how is it insulting?

When I was 12, I idolized Jimi Hendrix and wanted to dress up like him for Halloween one year. I got the clothes and guitar down but didn’t quite look right. I wanted to apply some makeup to pull it off, but my mom advised against it. She understood how much I wanted to be Hendrix and said that it wouldn’t go over. 

At no time did I believe what I was doing was racist because to me Jimi was the man. It was a kid wanting to be like his idol. 

I suppose you could have just taken acid and set your guitar on fire.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Certainly. Not having information or knowledge about something is the textbook definition of ignorance. However, the term has taken on more negative connotations recently that don’t quite jibe with the real definition. 

Not knowing is much different than knowing and still acting as if you don’t  

With a given truth, like wearing a black face as a white person is racist, it’s easy to accept.  However, there are a lot of subjects where we might see someone as being willfully ignorant, but that’s because our perception of what is true is different from theirs.  I think this is why politics becomes so heated.  

This whole situation is ridiculous.  Just because one wears a costume to a costume party, doesn't make them racist. Christ, what is the world coming to?  I once went to a costume party dressed as a viking, and wore a blonde wig.  Does that make me a racist against Scandinavians or blondes?  Quite the opposite really, as I married a Scandinavian, and both of my kids are basically vikings.  Trudeau is not perfect, but this is really reaching.

Edited by Agoork

44 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

He was 29 I am sorry but if you can't see that there was something wrong with that at that age something is really wrong with him

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can someone be racist if they are ignorant of the truth?  JT stated he knows now, from what he’s learned over the past 18 years, that his action was racist.  I see racism as being willfully ignorant.  One knows the truth, but chooses to ignore it.  When I was a kid the first brown person I met was a Sikh.  He had a turban, so I thought he was Arabian, like Haji from Johnny Quest.  We are all ignorant.  It’s whether we learn, and accept truth, or choose to live in our ignorance that’s important.  JT said he’s learned.  He should have known better, from our POV, but clearly he didn’t.  

I still subscribe to racism being a purposefully held belief, and comes with intent. Ignorance, such as you as a kid, I do not see as racism, as there was no harmful intention. It was a very innocent misconception. Any friends I have of minority decent could give a $&!# about that sorta thing. People need to get their heads outta their asses, PC culture is going overboard. Does this political pandering on either side really convince anyone anymore?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VanNucks1 said:

He was 29 I am sorry but if you can't see that there was something wrong with that at that age something is really wrong with him

JT was 29 in 2001.  It’s not today.  He said what he did was clearly racist, but he didn’t understand that in 2001.  He could be lying (as all political types are big liars in my view) but I don’t think he is here.  He was ignorant.  

2 minutes ago, VanIsleNuckFan said:

I still subscribe to racism being a purposefully held belief, and comes with intent. Ignorance, such as you as a kid, I do not see as racism, as there was no harmful intention. It was a very innocent misconception. Any friends I have of minority decent could give a $&!# about that sorta thing. People need to get their heads outta their asses, PC culture is going overboard. Does this political pandering on either side really convince anyone anymore?

I agree.  When JT wore his coloured face he was ignorant of the reality that many people would find this in bad taste, and even racist.  He thought it was cute and funny to dress up like an Arabian Knight.  At that party his costume was cute and funny.  Now though it’s not.  Maybe someday we won’t care so much about appearances, and we won’t even think about racism?  People will just dress and express themselves however they choose, and no one will take exception, because we see everyone as equally valued.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  When JT wore his coloured face he was ignorant of the reality that many people would find this in bad taste, and even racist.  He thought it was cute and funny to dress up like an Arabian Knight.  At that party his costume was cute and funny.  Now though it’s not.  Maybe someday we won’t care so much about appearances, and we won’t even think about racism?  People will just dress and express themselves however they choose, and no one will take exception, because we see everyone as equally valued.  

Id even go so far as to replace racism in this instance with "could be offensive and could be interpreted as racist" for the reasons we agree on here. The funny part to me is that JT is such a virtue signaler that he is stuck having to play his own game. And I thought it was pathetic the way Scheer jumped on this one too. Can no one act like an adult about these things and take the high road??

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2