Sign in to follow this  
CBH1926

Justin Trudeau apologizes for wearing brownface during 2001 event at school

24 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Bang on.

As a First Nations member I cannot count how many times I've seen people dressed up as natives absolutely and ridiculouslyy inappropriately 

I asked the following information in the election thread

I want to know how many instances of literally thousands of halloweens that our elected MPs have been through in their lives have resulted in dressing up involving

cultural appropriation

cross dressing or mockery of the lgbtq community

scantily clad costumes resulting in sl*t shaming

Trudeau is a buffoon.  Good on him for flat out apologizing really.  Far better than the "it's the law or it is what it is" excuse we got from the other guy without actually apologizing once for his remarks.

But the amount of cumulative skeletons in the closets of people regarding instances like this must be enormous.  I myself am wildly enjoying the mental hurdles that the left and right are doing to switch proverbial places right now

Great point.

I also wonder how many people who are criticizing JT for this, don't have a problem with the Redskins, Chief Wahoo, or that stupid Tomahawk Chop that Braves fans like to do...

• Upvote 2

This PC stuff is getting totally out of hand, I've been to costume parties where people, some of whom are close friends, have dressed up in many different costumes representing many different nations, races, religions etc.—Those that I know well are definitely NOT racist or xenophobic in any shape or form. It's all done in the spirit of the event for a bit of fun and entertainment. I believe racial hatred is anathema, but dressing up for a party?—c'mon people.

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

Personally I’m sick of all the cultural appropriation of Scottish bagpipes and kilts. Where’s all the outrage and butthurt over this issue? FFS

8 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Your mom sounds very wise. 

I understand where you are coming from.  You loved Hendrix and wanted to emulate him in the best way possible.  But blackface has a long, dark history.  It is appropriation and exploitation.  Today it is extremely offensive and disrespectful to a lot of people because of it.  

I'm fully aware of the history of blackface.

Blackface is mainly in reference to minstrel shows in the US, starting in the 1830, and ending roughly sometime in the early 21st century. They would exaggerate the features of African-Americans through the use of makeup. Well aware

8 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

If you wanted to be Bruce Lee, would you have painted your skin and slanted your eyes?  Would that be giving him the respect he deserves?

There is a world of difference between the blackface minstrel shows that occurred in the US, where the appearance was used to mock them and propagate stereotypes that any African American at the time would have had a very difficult, if not impossible, time protesting against, and a child in the 1980s who legitimately idolizes someone and wants to be them, including in appearance.

One is mockery, the other is emulation. The optics are the same though.

8 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Great point.

I also wonder how many people who are criticizing JT for this, don't have a problem with the Redskins, Chief Wahoo, or that stupid Tomahawk Chop that Braves fans like to do...

I'm more wondering about people and what they would say if Trump did that and would they say it it about Trudeau?

Highschool - whatever - easy to forgive a dumb kid.

30?  In 1930 - whatever.

30 in 2001 - racism.

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I'm more wondering about people and what they would say if Trump did that and would they say it it about Trudeau?

Highschool - whatever - easy to forgive a dumb kid.

30?  In 1930 - whatever.

30 in 2001 - racism.

Honestly, I think Trump has so many things to criticize, that this would be a complete nothingburger. People even downplay the fact that he and his father discriminated against black renters back in the day.

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

If Trump did it, the Democrats would go bananas and Trumps followers wouldn't care.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Bang on.

As a First Nations member I cannot count how many times I've seen people dressed up as natives absolutely and ridiculouslyy inappropriately 

I asked the following information in the election thread

I want to know how many instances of literally thousands of halloweens that our elected MPs have been through in their lives have resulted in dressing up involving

cultural appropriation

cross dressing or mockery of the lgbtq community

scantily clad costumes resulting in sl*t shaming

Trudeau is a buffoon.  Good on him for flat out apologizing really.  Far better than the "it's the law or it is what it is" excuse we got from the other guy without actually apologizing once for his remarks.

But the amount of cumulative skeletons in the closets of people regarding instances like this must be enormous.  I myself am wildly enjoying the mental hurdles that the left and right are doing to switch proverbial places right now

First Nations people still get the shaft on the regular when it comes to being appropriated and disrespected. Most of the subtle racism I've witnessed in recent years has been mainly towards them more so than any other culture. Especially in Canada.

This is a good example of how racism exists out in the world, you can do something stupid like this thinking you're not a racist because society at the time (for the most part, and maybe more so in a private school) lets you off the hook for it. 

I don't think anyone really thinks or believes Trudeau today is a racist. A spoiled brat? Out of touch? Not the sharpest tool in the shed? yeah, he wears that for sure now for many more people.

There's no excuses, people have to simply decide if its a big enough thing to change their vote. Nothing about Scheer has improved overnight. 

I do think if he hadn't lost it already tho the millennial voters will abandon him in droves now. Whatever slim shot Trudeau had at another majority is toasted, I have no doubt about that. But that could also be exactly what we need. If we ended up with a Liberal-Green coalition that might actually focus things where its needed on far more green tech infrastructure and jobs. We might see some good from all this yet. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Honestly, I think Trump has so many things to criticize, that this would be a complete nothingburger. People even downplay the fact that he and his father discriminated against black renters back in the day.

Yeah, I have to agree, and I'm not trying to make racism any less, but the sexual assault allegations on Trump are worse IMHO....

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Meh

much bigger things to criticize about a politician than something like this

if they caught him doing it last week it might be a bigger story

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

See.  Here's what I want to know.

Why now?

All the hate, heat and flak he's gotten and just out of nowhere this stuff is popping up?

Election time is the best time to smear your political opponents. Personally i find it amusing since JT is so PC that he used to do this dumb $&!#.

The US has an unfortunate history of using black face in a horribly racist way. That is why I will never put shoe polish on my face and go out in public because to anyone who knows about it will no doubt conjure that imagery. Its quite similar to the swastika, which was a symbol (of divinity and spirituality) that existed hundreds of years before the Nazis. Yet I won't be tattooing it to my arm knowing what people are most likely going to think when they see it. Its also why when I am pointing at a bird or a plane I make sure that I use one finger and not five. I don't think doing any of these would make me anymore racist but we live in a society where perception matters.

Trudeau showed a complete lack of foresight or judgement, it wasn't like he was a teenager, he was 30 years old. It does make me question how much he has matured from then to now. There was also the incident with the reporter where admittedly I do not know exactly what happened but he clearly misread the situation and crossed some boundaries. It seems to me we have established a pattern of poor decision making/judgement/foresight, not the qualities that I want in the man running my country. I am not quite thrilled about SNC Lavalin either, and its another reason why my vote is up in the air right now. Most of all I am convinced now more than ever that having any faith that Trudeau was going to be the type of visionary who could address the growing wealth disparity, climate change and the coming job crisis due to AI/automation was a mistake. Its really too bad that the conservatives and NDP have given us such uninspiring candidates in Scheer and Singh.

Edited by Toews
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

First Nations people still get the shaft on the regular when it comes to being appropriated and disrespected. Most of the subtle racism I've witnessed in recent years has been mainly towards them more so than any other culture. Especially in Canada.

Agree 100%!

Here by me, most hatred is directed towards blacks, hispanics and jews. But in Canada my experience is that most of it is directed towards First Nations. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

now for the rest of the story.....

http://www.newstandardpress.com/did-trump-not-rent-to-black-people/

https://www.politico.com/blogs/under-the-radar/2017/02/trump-fbi-files-discrimination-case-235067

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Its like finding out that Dahmer had parking tickets, pales in comparison to his other crimes.

• Hydration 1

While we all have our opinions on the matters at hand, I have to say that the discourse on these boards is a breath of fresh air. There's a real balance and willingness to discuss things here that I don't think I could find outside of here.

Thanks to you all for your ideas and opinions.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Great point.

I dont know about Canada, but here media still uses term scalpers. I am far from being pc, but that is offensive.