The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat Podcast - Great Insight

Rate this topic

DownGoesMcdavid

I tried to listen to this but I couldn't stand the interviewer.  He speaks too much, he speaks too fast, and doesn't enunciate.  It's just a blur of words from someone who I don't want to listen to anyway.  I wanted to hear what Bo had to say but this other guy wouldn't shut up.  Go Canucks Go!

Edited by nux_win
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

I remember seeing him walking outside the American Airlines Center a couple hours before a game. He looked very focused and was very polite as I told him howdy. Then again I did not harrass him or ask for a photo or autograph.  From what I remember, he went on to have a pretty good game.

Edited by jmfaminoff

A revealing part was the lack of off ice support. He was just left to himself. Management should have helped in this regard.

Gilis's trade, one for one, may be the best ever trade in the NHL of a goalie for single player. At the time it was certainly a win, win deal and now it is growing.

Didn't watch it all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nux_win said:

I tried to listen to this but I couldn't stand the interviewer.  He speaks too much, he speaks too fast, and doesn't enunciate.  It's just a blur of words from someone who I don't want to listen to anyway.  I wanted to hear what Bo had to say but this other guy wouldn't shut up.  Go Canucks Go!

Ya no fer sher

In the long term it was probably a blessing that Bo felt the way he did, I bet it made him work harder and more considerate. As the Captian he will know the challenges of the younger players, which is clutch in terms of there the team is at in its rebuild and the impending influx of young players. Also Bo will be able to speak to the new guys in a way that reflects experience having been through it already.

17 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

A revealing part was the lack of off ice support. He was just left to himself. Management should have helped in this regard.

Gilis's trade, one for one, may be the best ever trade in the NHL of a goalie for single player. At the time it was certainly a win, win deal and now it is growing.

Didn't watch it all.

No - Leadership should have helped in this regard - it’s the responsibility of the Captain and his to make sure everyone is welcomed and that guys are having team meals on a regular basis/other mates take him under his wing etc.  It’s not up to management to hold their hands and get them a buddy.   I’ve mentioned this before the best leaders ever created a team culture by getting the players together - regular team meals and extra curricular activities etc.  

When players know and like guys outside of work they will play that much harder for each other and be there right away if something happens on the ice.   It’s telling that he had his London mates at his wedding aside from Bear - and not a bunch of guys on the Canucks... there’s a joke in babseball after a game a cab is called for each player - sounds like maybe that could be applying to hockey a little too nowadays.   No wonder the Flyers were such a tight group under Clark - they went to the same bar/restaurant after every practice and home games.   Potvin also applied this philosophy - when Trottier was a rookie after his first game “Dad” said - your French and coming with us and took him out to a francophone bar (even though he couldn’t speak a word barely) ...and he says he’s like his paternal brother.. those sort of bonds only happen doing more then skating together.   Hopefully Bo figures this out and helps the next crop of rookies coming in. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for posting @DownGoesMcdavid

Found it really interesting to hear. Horvat sounds so considerate and definitely far 'older' that he really is.

I liked, what he said about social media, and the advise to younger players to stay off it as far as possible.

Did find it surprising, that when he joined the organisation, there were nobody looking after him, bearing in mind he was at least 5 years younger than the other players, and they all had families. It's a big gamble not to form the right environment for a young player like Horvat, bearing in mind he represents a huge investment.

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

No - Leadership should have helped in this regard - it’s the responsibility of the Captain and his to make sure everyone is welcomed and that guys are having team meals on a regular basis/other mates take him under his wing etc.  It’s not up to management to hold their hands and get them a buddy.   I’ve mentioned this before the best leaders ever created a team culture by getting the players together - regular team meals and extra curricular activities etc.  

When players know and like guys outside of work they will play that much harder for each other and be there right away if something happens on the ice.   It’s telling that he had his London mates at his wedding aside from Bear - and not a bunch of guys on the Canucks... there’s a joke in babseball after a game a cab is called for each player - sounds like maybe that could be applying to hockey a little too nowadays.   No wonder the Flyers were such a tight group under Clark - they went to the same bar/restaurant after every practice and home games.   Potvin also applied this philosophy - when Trottier was a rookie after his first game “Dad” said - your French and coming with us and took him out to a francophone bar (even though he couldn’t speak a word barely) ...and he says he’s like his paternal brother.. those sort of bonds only happen doing more then skating together.   Hopefully Bo figures this out and helps the next crop of rookies coming in. 

I totally agree, and it really doesn't take much...

But do think the management should ensure the team (leaders in particular) looks after their asset... Its not always easy to move to a different environment as a young person.

In saying that its also part of the toughning up process, and possibly one of the reasons he sound like a 30+ year old man and not a 24 year old.

• Upvote 1

On 9/20/2019 at 11:10 AM, IBatch said:

I disagree totally.

Management pays millions for a player, they should make sure he isn't visiting the Roxie every night because that has been all he was shown.

A 36 year old father of two is not going to have a lot in common with a 18 yr old, he could have a 14 yr old son that would be closer, how is that helping?

Just imagine if the player doesn't speak english hardly at all and is just dropped into Vancouver or put yourself in that picture, you just are parachuted into Russia or some other country where your language is hardly spoken. Now have a good life. done.

The club spends millions for players they should make sure everything is okay on and OFF the ice. Even if it is just to check up otherwise it is not taking care of their investment.

And the Sedins taught the boys how to be professional in losing, how to not say the wrong things, to get used to the losing and not to feel guilty cashing the big pay check after all they don't get paid to play in the playoffs by the teams, enjoy the long hot summers and golf courses.

On 9/20/2019 at 1:43 AM, nux_win said:

you must be new to podcasts.... they're equal human beings just having a conversation, ofc he has questions but overall its a podcast not your typical hockey interview (which I find %90 of hockey interviews boring)

35 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I disagree totally.

Management pays millions for a player, they should make sure he isn't visiting the Roxie every night because that has been all he was shown.

A 36 year old father of two is not going to have a lot in common with a 18 yr old, he could have a 14 yr old son that would be closer, how is that helping?

Just imagine if the player doesn't speak english hardly at all and is just dropped into Vancouver or put yourself in that picture, you just are parachuted into Russia or some other country where your language is hardly spoken. Now have a good life. done.

The club spends millions for players they should make sure everything is okay on and OFF the ice. Even if it is just to check up otherwise it is not taking care of their investment.

And the Sedins taught the boys how to be professional in losing, how to not say the wrong things, to get used to the losing and not to feel guilty cashing the big pay check after all they don't get paid to play in the playoffs by the teams, enjoy the long hot summers and golf courses.

Well that’s the way it’s always been - up to the players and especially the leadership within the team and to a certain degree maybe the coaching staff - to make players feel welcome and part of the team.   How hard is it to take a guy around town for a couple nights?

Players come and go mostly based on their production - it’s also up to the players themselves to make the transition go smoothly - it’s not like they can’t afford guidance counseling or English tutoring even on a league minimum salary.   Again it’s part of a captains toolbox to engage these guys and make sure they are assimilating - they are often the first to call and welcome a new teammate after a trade, and the best ones invite them out for dinner when they arrive  and make an effort to support them outside of the rink.

What’s the GM supposed to do, hire some teenagers to take them around town and be their buddies?  Crosby lived with Lemuiex when he first joined the league - he had a family too and was a similar age as Horvat was to the Sedins.   So yes I stand by what I said - the best leaders  in the history of the game always made a lot of their time available for both the rookies and vets that were traded, it’s not supposed to be a dis on the Sedins, they were good too - but if Horvat wasn’t happy and had a hard time when he got here because he didn’t know anyone that’s definitely pairtly on them and the other teammates especially the leadership group. 

God I love Horvat. I really enjoyed that podcast. My absolute favourite player, got my Horvat jersey signed when they were at camp in Vic and I was shaking for half an hour. This kid has winner written all over him. Hearing how he handled his first few years or what he taught himself. He is so mature and has this aura about him that he’s determined and destined to win. He’s a natural born leader.