The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat Podcast - Great Insight

Rate this topic

DownGoesMcdavid

On 9/19/2019 at 11:13 AM, NucksinNorway said:

I've got a funny story about him not being focused. A few years ago I took my wife to her first game (she's Norwegian), against the Kings. 

We had first row seats and got there early to watch the pregame skate. 

As he was skating by he eye f@#ked the $hit out of her, then turned to look at me as if to say; how did you get her? 

They went on to lose 6-0. 

Humble brag. I think so 

11 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

God I love Horvat. I really enjoyed that podcast. My absolute favourite player, got my Horvat jersey signed when they were at camp in Vic and I was shaking for half an hour. This kid has winner written all over him. Hearing how he handled his first few years or what he taught himself. He is so mature and has this aura about him that he’s determined and destined to win. He’s a natural born leader.

He has great qualities as a player/leader and its just a matter of days before he is named Captain. Well brought up kid who comes across very mature for his age, props to his parents!

While there may be an age gap from rookies to vets who have kids, wives etc. It has to be tough when a guy goes across the country at a young age to first start playing pro, or in some cases across the world. Is it the Captain's job to watch these young kids 24/7, not at all. But I am sure the Sedin's had him over for dinner or told Bo he could call if he needed to talk etc. The bonus to this for Bo at least was he worked very hard at improving his game at a young age and we have all seen the improvements. If that quality could only be put into all our younger players...that is a defining trait to have.

I think Bo will be a GREAT Captain for the Canucks and maybe from his experience of loneliness when he first arrived will make him step up and take younger players under his way or even under his roof going forward (lemieux/Crosby-esque)

Wonder if Bo would ever consider moving to Vancouver year round like Trevor Linden did. He can still go back to visit family. He can always get away from the coast and move to the beautiful Okanagan and have dozens of NHL players to train with during the summer.

15 hours ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

you must be new to podcasts.... they're equal human beings just having a conversation, ofc he has questions but overall its a podcast not your typical hockey interview (which I find %90 of hockey interviews boring)

Well I have to admit that I was being a bit over-critical and I could have held my tongue.  But the guy talked like he was typing with no spaces between the words and I found that annoying.  However I suppose I didn't need to say anything about it.  I wish I could retract it now, but it's kind of hard now that you've brought attention to my indiscretion (and now I have too).  I guess I just have to live with a little egg on my face.  Go Canucks Go!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, IBatch said:

Well that’s the way it’s always been - up to the players and especially the leadership within the team and to a certain degree maybe the coaching staff - to make players feel welcome and part of the team.   How hard is it to take a guy around town for a couple nights?

Players come and go mostly based on their production - it’s also up to the players themselves to make the transition go smoothly - it’s not like they can’t afford guidance counseling or English tutoring even on a league minimum salary.   Again it’s part of a captains toolbox to engage these guys and make sure they are assimilating - they are often the first to call and welcome a new teammate after a trade, and the best ones invite them out for dinner when they arrive  and make an effort to support them outside of the rink.

What’s the GM supposed to do, hire some teenagers to take them around town and be their buddies?  Crosby lived with Lemuiex when he first joined the league - he had a family too and was a similar age as Horvat was to the Sedins.   So yes I stand by what I said - the best leaders  in the history of the game always made a lot of their time available for both the rookies and vets that were traded, it’s not supposed to be a dis on the Sedins, they were good too - but if Horvat wasn’t happy and had a hard time when he got here because he didn’t know anyone that’s definitely pairtly on them and the other teammates especially the leadership group. 

The way it has always been, sure, but they used to plow fields with oxen too. If social media was around in the 70's, 80's or even 90's life would have been much harder on rookies.

In the new era hiring a "concierge" or person to help acclimatize players to new expectations should only be the new way. Horvat didn't live with the Sedins and apparently this is still the status quo for THIS team.

With millions at stake every thing should be done to insure the players are settled and only have one thing to concern themselves. Today a player could get hooked on video games just for something to do, playing all night. Sleep patterns do matter and affect performance.

So hiring a professional "guide" might be a cheap investment, at least for awhile and periodically after.

On 9/23/2019 at 1:01 AM, nux_win said:

Well I have to admit that I was being a bit over-critical and I could have held my tongue.  But the guy talked like he was typing with no spaces between the words and I found that annoying.  However I suppose I didn't need to say anything about it.  I wish I could retract it now, but it's kind of hard now that you've brought attention to my indiscretion (and now I have too).  I guess I just have to live with a little egg on my face.  Go Canucks Go!

Its cool, I live in australia so I'm use to people talking fast, I do it myself now aswell, so this is nothing :) I sometimes forget, but yeah I can see your view, all good dude

• Cheers 1

On 9/19/2019 at 11:13 AM, NucksinNorway said:

I've got a funny story about him not being focused. A few years ago I took my wife to her first game (she's Norwegian), against the Kings. 

We had first row seats and got there early to watch the pregame skate. 

As he was skating by he eye f@#ked the $hit out of her, then turned to look at me as if to say; how did you get her? 

They went on to lose 6-0. 

Anytime you're back in Canada, you're invited to my home, with your wife of course. :frantic:

• Haha 1