The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks @ Oilers

Rate this topic

xereau

We have so much depth I wonder if we make a trade. We certainly have the flexibility to do so.  I still feel our top six is set at:

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Miller

Then so many options after that.  Maybe the following:

Pearson Sutter Virtanen 

Eriksson Beagle Gaudette

That would be an extremely solid bottom six.  Leivo, Goldobin, Motte all battle for the 1-2 extra forwards.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe Loui accepts a new role on the team in hopes of earning a spot, so he welcomes a chance to get a beat-down from Peluso?

Loui has been the best player on his line, three games running.

I was not buying Gaudette as 3rd star tonight. Nice that he scored though and he did look better tonight.

Levo is looking like he might find himself in the same position in Van this year as he was last year on TO.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

We have so much depth I wonder if we make a trade. We certainly have the flexibility to do so.  I still feel our top six is set at:

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Miller

Then so many options after that.  Maybe the following:

Pearson Sutter Virtanen 

Eriksson Beagle Gaudette

That would be an extremely solid bottom six.  Leivo, Goldobin, Motte all battle for the 1-2 extra forwards.

Pretty much what the lines would like once regular season begins.

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

6-1 win without Boeser or Pettersson in the lineup.

Just ROFL

This is getting epic

To be fair, the oilers didn't have any of their top 3 players (McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge) or top 2 defensemen (unless Klefbom is supposed to be one of their top 2. I'd consider Larsson and Nurse their top 2). Nice to see us put up a dominant performance on the score sheet though. As John pointed out in the first period though, we were outshot 7-2 to start. I have felt like our team has been out-hustled overall in each of the games in the preseason so far though (we obviously had the better 3rd period in that regard this game though, regardless of score)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

To be fair they didnt have mcdavid or draisaitl.. but the Coilera goaltending is not looking great

4 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

To be fair, the oilers didn't have any of their top 3 players (McDavid, Draisaitl, and Nuge) or top 2 defensemen (unless Klefbom is supposed to be one of their top 2. I'd consider Larsson and Nurse their top 2). Nice to see us put up a dominant performance on the score sheet though. As John pointed out in the first period though, we were outshot 7-2 to start. I have felt like our team has been out-hustled overall in each of the games in the preseason so far though (we obviously had the better 3rd period in that regard this game though, regardless of score)

I'm just saying I haven't seen many Canucks games in the recent past with a 6 on our side of the scoreboard, let alone with our two top offensive forwards in the lineup.

I'm very familiar with how terrible Edmonton is ;)

Good solid game from Marky too. I'm going to just remain extremely optimistic. What's the worst that could bring? Disappointment? God knows I have a high tolerance for that after all these years rooting on the Canucks!

Edited by BrockBoester
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

That is something I noticed too, that the team despite different players and better quality, the starts to our game have been a little sloppy and slow.  Hopefully once we start to narrow down to a cohesive lineup that the pace will pick up. 

I was really annoyed last season when we would start sluggish out the gate for games.

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"That line was really good. I thought they really set the tone tonight. They just play the game really hard. They're good together, they know where their bread is buttered. I thought that line was probably our best line tonight." - Green on Schaller-Beagle-Motte line

hmm, sometimes I wonder about our coach

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Gaudette had a better game. I thought most of our forwards were above average. We just faced a terrible lineup.

Brisebois had his best game and has been the best defenseman out of the AHL group throughout the preseason. He's so smooth he reminds me of Tanev when he first started out.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Ferland Petey Boeser

Pearson Bo Miller

Baer Sutter Virtanen

LE Beagle Motte

Leivo

Eriksson will not be on this team. 

Roussel is an important part of this team and has to be in that top 12, when he is fit to play.  The fact he happens to be injured to start the season doesn't mean he isn't in their keeper forward group.  This bumps somebody down or out.  Roussel and Leivo are locks to go along with Beagle -- and the top-9 we all know is pretty clear.  Schaller was great with Beagle and Motte tonight.  Goldobin, Gaudette, and Motte are all higher in the team's plans than Eriksson. 

If Gaudette continues to show offensive prowess of any kind in the games running up to the final cuts (and continues to kill penalties and improve) he will be the 13th forward.  And if he doesn't, then either of Goldobin or Schaller will do something to assure their spot.  There is no longer room for Eriksson, which is not surprising as this was the plan all along: why else would JB bring in Miller, and Ferland?  

I've read in a number of places that "dumping Loui in the minors would be bad for future UFA signings."  Why?  If he is genuinely not in the top 12 for play (remember Roussel is the twelfth player, 13th is up in the air still), then mgt can send him down with a clear conscience and no issue with any future UFA or his agent.  No potential UFA thinks he'll stink bad enough to be sent down with 2 years left in his contract.  (or is it 3 years, can't remember. lol.)  

Edited by gameburn