The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks @ Oilers

Rate this topic

xereau

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

his contract is completely irrelevant to anyone but FA and JB.  He is a bottom 6 player and he's a pretty good one and those are the only players he has to outplay, which he is for the most part.

If his contract is irrelevant, his play is decent on a half squad.  His is older, not getting better and not hungry.  I see no drive or passion from Eriksson to win.  

He played Okay tonight.  That's it.  Eriksson has something to prove this year and I see nothing that shows that he is hungry.  In his case, hungry for redemption.  

The rest of this team is hungry.  They want to win, every time Ep40 hits the ice, he wants to win.  

His energy and confidence is contagious.  Bo has compete, but he has played on some bad teams, teams where guys like Eriksson could get 1st line minutes with that effort.   

If our young guys see the last remnant of the country club that existed here prior to Green, then look no further than Eriksson, exhibit a.  Is Eriksson playing his best out there.  Do we want guys who just want the status quo vs giving it their best.  

I don't want a guy on this team that isn't hungry.  We've misses the playoffs for how many years?  

I would rather have a guy hungry, either to earn a spot, earn a new contract next year.  They will give it their all, every night.  If not then some else will who is one step below them on the depth chart.  

Jasek looks good so far, McEwan looks good.  Not as regulars but as a 13th forward, why not.  They aren't even in the mix.  

Bottom six players are replaceable.  Other than Beagle and Sutter, the rest still are likely to get better as getting worse.  Eriksson is only declining. 

Our bottom six mix of candidates consists of Virtannen, Pearson, Goldy, Gaudette, Motte, Leivo, Beagle, Rousell, Schaller, McEwan, Sutter and Eriksson.  

Based solely on that, Eriksson certainly can be in the mix for a bottom six spot.  But where to you rate him.  

Above Jake?  Beagle? Pearson? Sutter? Rousell (injured, but still a 3rd line lock when he comes back) Goldy? Motte? Leivo?  Gaudette?

I rank him above Schaller and McEwan, but they both have something he lacks, pushback size.  

Eriksson is not playing above enough depth players atm to stay on the NHL club IMO.

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Upvote 1

Look at Bo.  Dominant.  That's where Eriksson should want to be.  Pushing to get better.  

If anyone on this roster should be motivated this year, it should be the guy getting the most motivation.  

He is a decent player, playing like a guy who is okay with being a decent player.  

Nothing to prove.  Walking is a as good as running as long as you get the finish line.  

I want guys who want to win the race, not just cross the finish line.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, stawns said:

well, his play has been good and he's produced some offense.  What have the "hungry" guys done.  The big push against him is he doesn't produce, so he shouldn't be in the lineup.......well, he's producing in pre-season, so shoiuldn't he be in the lineup?

This is pretty much it.  On an improved team Loui is going to get a few more chances playing bottom 6 - better line mates and d.

He might even crack a responsible, two-way 10+ goal 30+ point season in the bottom 6, which would actually be fantastic if it wasn’t for his contract.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ur a Towel said:

But why should his contract matter whether he stays as the 11-13th forward? It doesn't matter to Green what he's making. If he's good enough to be the 11-13th forward then play him as the 11th-13th forward regardless of what he's making.

Gaudette is better....Goldy is more valuable, so i wouldn't try to waive him...someone has to go we have 15-16 forwards that are as good or better...

We either trade someone or some 2 players or Eriksson should be sent down until we can work a trade or he decides to retire.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I think that's the main thinking here. Is it better someone sits in the pressbox or getting more minutes to develop. Brisebois would benefit from playing more. Same with Rafferty who needs more pro experience. I think if I was going to pick a press box/practice squad guy, it would be Sautner. He's put in his dues and is a solid fill in for a bottom pairing and he's at the age where you're pretty much seeing what you'll be getting.

Expecting Brisebois and Juolevi to be given top-pairing-like minutes in Utica, to get them to play significant roles and see how they do.  Sautner could be in that camp as well although he does requires waivers, but not sure if he'd be claimed.  If there is a risk, then keep him and send down Biega, who would be a great veteran presence amongst all the youngsters.  Rafferty, Teves, and Chatfield would then battle for middle-pairing minutes.

30 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Gaudette is better....Goldy is more valuable, so i wouldn't try to waive him...someone has to go we have 15-16 forwards that are as good or better...

We either trade someone or some 2 players or Eriksson should be sent down until we can work a trade or he decides to retire.

I think you should probably prepare yourself for being disappointed

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

If his contract is irrelevant, his play is decent on a half squad.  His is older, not getting better and not hungry.  I see no drive or passion from Eriksson to win.  

He played Okay tonight.  That's it.  Eriksson has something to prove this year and I see nothing that shows that he is hungry.  In his case, hungry for redemption.  

The rest of this team is hungry.  They want to win, every time Ep40 hits the ice, he wants to win.  

His energy and confidence is contagious.  Bo has compete, but he has played on some bad teams, teams where guys like Eriksson could get 1st line minutes with that effort.   

If our young guys see the last remnant of the country club that existed here prior to Green, then look no further than Eriksson, exhibit a.  Is Eriksson playing his best out there.  Do we want guys who just want the status quo vs giving it their best.  

I don't want a guy on this team that isn't hungry.  We've misses the playoffs for how many years?  

I would rather have a guy hungry, either to earn a spot, earn a new contract next year.  They will give it their all, every night.  If not then some else will who is one step below them on the depth chart.  

Jasek looks good so far, McEwan looks good.  Not as regulars but as a 13th forward, why not.  They aren't even in the mix.  

Bottom six players are replaceable.  Other than Beagle and Sutter, the rest still are likely to get better as getting worse.  Eriksson is only declining. 

Our bottom six mix of candidates consists of Virtannen, Pearson, Goldy, Gaudette, Motte, Leivo, Beagle, Rousell, Schaller, McEwan, Sutter and Eriksson.  

Based solely on that, Eriksson certainly can be in the mix for a bottom six spot.  But where to you rate him.  

Above Jake?  Beagle? Pearson? Sutter? Rousell (injured, but still a 3rd line lock when he comes back) Goldy? Motte? Leivo?  Gaudette?

I rank him above Schaller and McEwan, but they both have something he lacks, pushback size.  

Eriksson is not playing above enough depth players atm to stay on the NHL club IMO.

It’s pretty presumptuous that you say LE doesn’t want to win too.   Why don’t we just wait and see how things unfold - if the coach wants him in the lineup it’s because he thinks we have a better chance of winning.  I agree passion and hard working players are the best.   Yes he’s a disappointment - but he’s not the 13th forward (yet) one or two guys have to step up before that happens. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Barring further injuries or trades, I presently (just as before :lol:) have Eriksson as 13thF until Roussel's back (though I could see him rotating in/out with any of Motte, Leivo and Virtanen).

Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer/Pearson, Horvat, Miller

Baer/Pearson, Sutter, Virtanen/Leivo

Motte, Beagle, Virtanen/Leivo

Eriksson

But again, barring trades or further injuries, things are going to get REALLY interesting when Roussel's back. Benning's going to need to have a trade up his sleeve (which would fit with rumours) and/or we'll need to have more injuries because I don't see us waiving (and losing) any of those three above guys who are all younger, cheaper and still improving, to keep Eriksson on the roster (who would almost certainly clear).

Edited by aGENT

12 hours ago, gameburn said:

The problem is numbers.  I think you quite rightly noticed that Rafferty and Gaudette had good games, very good perhaps. 

I don't see how Eriksson makes this team.  Horvat, Miller, Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser, and now Baertschi: locks obviously. That's 6.  Pearson isn't going to Utica, neither are Beagle, Sutter and Roussel (when he gets back.)  They traded for some of these guys, hell.  That's 10 forwards.  Only room for 3 more, right?  Motte was ferocious, Gaudette keeps getting better and is as good at killing penalties as anyone.  That's 12 forwards.  Leivo and Schaller are available for that last spot,  Oh, and Virtanen, forgot about him.  Oh, and Goldobin, forgot about him too.  If Schaller is released/sent down that still leaves no room for Eriksson.  You going to risk waiving Leivo?  You really want to choose Eriksson over Motte?  

Horvat, Miller, Baertschi;

Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser;

Sutter, Virtanen, Pearson

Beagle, Leivo, Motte

Gaudette/Goldobin

14 forwards, and that doesn't even include Roussel who is certain to return to the big club.   

Eriksson in Utica is the inevitable outcome imo. The better Motte and Gaudette play, the more obvious it is that Eriksson is in Utica, waiting for an injury to show himself off for a possible trade -- much like Gagner did.  Goldobin has more upside than LE, obviously, so even he has to be higher in this team's depth chart. 

Even if Sutter is injured for the year again, there is no space for Loui -- Goldobin, Gaudette, and Motte (and even Schaller) are looking like better options. Gaudette in particular is useful because of his versatility and natural position at center.

You pretty much cut to the chase. I think Leivo and Mott stick if for no other reason than their play last year. But the depth will keep knocking. If JB has a sniff on Eriksson he might stay for more looks but otherwise he gets the Gagner treatment. Schaller gets waived. IMHO Gaudette goes to Uitca to get TOI and a 1st line assignment. Also goes because he can without fear of loss. Same with Rafferty and Teves who need some AHL TOI. Brisbois likely down as well even with his excellent play. Would not be surprised to see Sautner stay. Reliable if needed and he is ready. Biega likely waived especially since teams won't claim him right now where they might if injuries were hitting their rosters. 

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Barring further injuries or trades, I presently (just as before :lol:) have Eriksson as 13thF until Roussel's back (though I could see him rotating in/out with any of Motte, Leivo and Virtanen).

Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser

Baer/Pearson, Horvat, Miller

Baer/Pearson, Sutter, Virtanen/Leivo

Motte, Beagle, Virtanen/Leivo

Eriksson

But again, barring trades or further injuries, things are going to get REALLY interesting when Roussel's back. Benning's going to need to have a trade up his sleeve (which would fit with rumours) and/or we'll need to have more injuries because I don't see us waiving (and losing) any of those three above guys who are all younger, cheaper and still improving, to keep Eriksson on the roster (who would almost certainly clear).

some kind of move is going to have to be made when Rous gets back, for sure.  Ideally, LE plays well and they can work out some kind of hockey deal with him involved.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

while I understand the visceral reaction to his contract, it's actually got zero relevance on fans, other than to fuel unwarranted hatred of a decent player.  He is a solid bottom 6 who can fill in anywhere in the lineup and is very good o the pk........can't we just be happy about that?  He's doing exactly what people wanted him to do, earn his way onto the team.

When I look at Eriksson I cannot help but think of last year and how he checked out on the team. Combine that with his comments to Swedish sports writers. I can understand that he might not think that Green was using him to his strengths but that is open to interpretation. 

So far in this pre-season Eriksson has played some decent hockey. The question becomes whether he can maintain it. Does he get the nod over a younger player who could use the TOI to develop his game to the point that he would contribute more than Eriksson might. If JB could have moved him he likely would be gone. If he is kept on the roster can his improved play garner any interest from other clubs? If his play slides does it hurt the overall team chemistry? 

IMHO the Canucks have a real shot at playoffs this year. I suspect JB keeps LE in an attempt to showcase him. Eriksson is no longer in the long term plans, he burnt his bridges. If possible they will deal him. The more critical concern is what the roster will be in 2 years not in Oct/Nov.  

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

When I look at Eriksson I cannot help but think of last year and how he checked out on the team. Combine that with his comments to Swedish sports writers. I can understand that he might not think that Green was using him to his strengths but that is open to interpretation. 

So far in this pre-season Eriksson has played some decent hockey. The question becomes whether he can maintain it. Does he get the nod over a younger player who could use the TOI to develop his game to the point that he would contribute more than Eriksson might. If JB could have moved him he likely would be gone. If he is kept on the roster can his improved play garner any interest from other clubs? If his play slides does it hurt the overall team chemistry? 

IMHO the Canucks have a real shot at playoffs this year. I suspect JB keeps LE in an attempt to showcase him. Eriksson is no longer in the long term plans, he burnt his bridges. If possible they will deal him. The more critical concern is what the roster will be in 2 years not in Oct/Nov.  

Of course they'll try to deal him, he's not worth 6m/year. That doesn't mean he still isn't an effective bottom 6 player. If we need a young player to be playing more to develop his game, we have Utica for that. They can play down there and earn their way up. 
His comments were way over blown. If his play slides then we have a 13th forward up with us that will take his spot. Loui knows this, he's a vet. He'll want to continue playing well or he'll be sitting out. As of right now though, I think he's done everything that's been asked of him to earn his spot on our team however and I think it's unlikely he'll start the year anywhere but with the Canucks.

1 minute ago, Ur a Towel said:

Of course they'll try to deal him, he's not worth 6m/year. That doesn't mean he still isn't an effective bottom 6 player. If we need a young player to be playing more to develop his game, we have Utica for that. They can play down there and earn their way up. 
His comments were way over blown. If his play slides then we have a 13th forward up with us that will take his spot. Loui knows this, he's a vet. He'll want to continue playing well or he'll be sitting out. As of right now though, I think he's done everything that's been asked of him to earn his spot on our team however and I think it's unlikely he'll start the year anywhere but with the Canucks.

You could be right. I think he will start the year in Vancouver. I also do not think that 2 pre-season games make a comeback. Yes, he is playing better than game 82 last year. Whether LE is playing hungry or desperate the question is whether it is worth the TOI to keep him. Obviously if there was a market he would be gone. It does come down to choices and Green and JB have to make those choices. I suspect they keep him for at least a month and if there is no offers he is sent down if his play drops off. I don't think he can crack the 3rd line which means the 4th with some PK.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Let's not get too crazy on Loui just yet, so far it's been mostly AHL competition and he hasnt gotten any faster. We'll see how he does when the speed & talent level picks up. 

The Canucks will waive Loui to Utica, but only after giving the (impression) they gave Loui a fair shot.  Loui is done.  He's old, slow, and weak.  He's hands are gone.  He should and will soon retire.    

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Everyone says Loui checked out last season, but I'm pretty sure when he was playing with Pearson and Bo he actually started scoring. And somehow after the trade deadline he checked out, when he did his most damage. If that's the case then what happened to the rest of the team last year? 

• Upvote 2