Sign in to follow this  
xereau

[GDT/PGT] Canucks @ Oilers

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

When I look at Eriksson I cannot help but think of last year and how he checked out on the team. Combine that with his comments to Swedish sports writers. I can understand that he might not think that Green was using him to his strengths but that is open to interpretation. 

 

So far in this pre-season Eriksson has played some decent hockey. The question becomes whether he can maintain it. Does he get the nod over a younger player who could use the TOI to develop his game to the point that he would contribute more than Eriksson might. If JB could have moved him he likely would be gone. If he is kept on the roster can his improved play garner any interest from other clubs? If his play slides does it hurt the overall team chemistry? 

 

IMHO the Canucks have a real shot at playoffs this year. I suspect JB keeps LE in an attempt to showcase him. Eriksson is no longer in the long term plans, he burnt his bridges. If possible they will deal him. The more critical concern is what the roster will be in 2 years not in Oct/Nov.  

I'm no huge fan of LE, but I don't really get the "checked out" label that's been put on him and the numbers (aside from offense) don't really bear that out.  He was pretty solid, defensively all year and to pinpoint one player who faltered down the stretch is a bit of a false flag because they all crapped out down the stretch, Petey included.  That said, I agree they give him some decent ice and opportunity before Xmas in an attempt to showcase him for a deal.

Edited by stawns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Let's not get too crazy on Loui just yet, so far it's been mostly AHL competition and he hasnt gotten any faster. We'll see how he does when the speed & talent level picks up. 

it's been the same competition for all the players, so it's a level field.  

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Canucks will waive Loui to Utica, but only after giving the (impression) they gave Loui a fair shot.  Loui is done.  He's old, slow, and weak.  He's hands are gone.  He should and will soon retire.    

I'm not sure that Loui gets waived, but if he does, I think JB tries to work it out for him to go to the Stars in Dallas (I think Loui's family is in Dallas).

 

More likely, we will see an injury or trade before season opening (this is the Canuckian way) and they will carry 14 forwards until Roussel returns.

 

Pete, Bo, Brock, Miller, Baer, Ferland

Sutter, Beagle, Virt, Pearson, Motte, Leivo

Eriksson, Schaller, Goldy  (One of these players will be waived before season opening if there are no injuries or a trade)

By the time Roussel returns, I expect Schaller and Goldy will be elsewhere.

 

Edler, Tanev, Myers, Benn, Hughes, Stecher, Biega (7 defence)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stawns said:

some kind of move is going to have to be made when Rous gets back, for sure.  Ideally, LE plays well and they can work out some kind of hockey deal with him involved.

Pretty much.  I hope he plays well enough that someone will take a chance on him.  We should all hope he plays well.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Rush17 said:

No Greener presser? I guess he wants to get out of edmonton ASAP LOL

Can hardly blame him.. I've been there, was nice in the 80's but now? Just ewwwww! RUN!!!

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stawns said:

For all peoples whining, Loui had been quietly solid and contributing offensively this pre-season.  Last night he out up two points and was excellent on both PP and PK.  WTF do you people want him to do?  I thought it was all about "earning a spot"?  Or does that apply to everyone but LE?

 

Personally, if he earns a spot I just don't see FA wanting to pay him $6m to play in Utica, especially when it barely saves the team cap space.  If he's outplayed,then fine, but to this point he hasn't been.

Again: outplayed relative to whom?

We have 11 players, maybe 12 who are locks:

 Bo, Pearson, Baer

 Pettersson, Boes, Miller

 Sutter, Virtanen, Ferland

 Beagle, (Roussel/ Leivo), Motte

Gaudette.

  with Leivo to take Roussel's place til he comes back.  And there is still Goldobin to work in, or not.

 

Sutter, Virtanen, Ferland, Beagle and Gaudette have all outplayed Eriksson or are guaranteed spots. (Gaudette crushed again the other night, while Loui continues to do "the little things.")

So, imo, it comes down to Leivo and Motte vs. LE. If LE were Motte's age and had a similar  contract, it would be a tough choice imo, even Leivo.  But Loui looks slower and even less impactful than last year, and sending him down saves about a million in cap space, plus gives younger more deserving players ice time. I suspect that sending him down is good for team culture as well.

 

The only way Loui makes this team/plays opening night is if one of two happen: (a) an as yet unseen injury to a forward, preferably 2 forwards, because there is still that pesky Goldobin problem); or (b) the team decides to play it safe with development and they send  a pile of young guys down to Utica, led by Gaudette and Motte.  And we are to believe that Goldobin would also need to be waived, asset possibly lost.  All to keep Loui on the main team, when he could more profitably dumped in Utica? 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Fantenberg isn't noticeable. And not in a good way. I would side with Rafferty or Teves at this point. 

Yes, this may be one of the stories of this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Again: outplayed relative to whom?

We have 11 players, maybe 12 who are locks:

 Bo, Pearson, Baer

 Pettersson, Boes, Miller

 Sutter, Virtanen, Ferland

 Beagle, (Roussel/ Leivo), Motte

Gaudette.

  with Leivo to take Roussel's place til he comes back.  And there is still Goldobin to work in, or not.

 

Sutter, Virtanen, Ferland, Beagle and Gaudette have all outplayed Eriksson or are guaranteed spots. (Gaudette crushed again the other night, while Loui continues to do "the little things.")

So, imo, it comes down to Leivo and Motte vs. LE. If LE were Motte's age and had a similar  contract, it would be a tough choice imo, even Leivo.  But Loui looks slower and even less impactful than last year, and sending him down saves about a million in cap space, plus gives younger more deserving players ice time. I suspect that sending him down is good for team culture as well.

 

The only way Loui makes this team/plays opening night is if one of two happen: (a) an as yet unseen injury to a forward, preferably 2 forwards, because there is still that pesky Goldobin problem); or (b) the team decides to play it safe with development and they send  a pile of young guys down to Utica, led by Gaudette and Motte.  And we are to believe that Goldobin would also need to be waived, asset possibly lost.  All to keep Loui on the main team, when he could more profitably dumped in Utica? 

 

No way Gaudette is in van in October and he hasn't outplayed LE, and Motte definitely hasn't.  As I said, I'm no LE cheerleader, but I am pretty objective and he's produced in pre-season, he's been solid on special teams and 5v5.  I just don't see than anyone he's competing with has overly outplayed him yet and I'm prettty sure FA isn't going to want to pay him $6m to play in Utica.  I think they'll play him more, showcase a bit more and try to move him before Rous comes back.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

People have their mind preset for LE. It won't matter what he does at this point as there is always an excuse. Just imagine if he goes a game without a point.

 

Not saying that he's going to carry forward his play into the regular season and there's still some preseason left, but it's hard to criticize LE right now unless you're nitpicking.

 

He has 3 points in 2 games (yes I know against "AHL" competition). He has been sound on the PK which he's been noted for, so he's consistent here. His assist on Gaudette's goal was off a good read in the neutral zone for a turnover and finds a rushing Gaudette. Of course Gaudette gets the praise, but it wouldn't have happened had LE not made the play.

 

Goldy has been given plenty of top 6 looks so far and what has he done? Baertschi got a goal for a nice feed from Bo, but what else has he done? Leivo has generated chances, but what else? There's no reason to believe LE isn't in the mix still amongst this group.

 

Things can change over the rest of the preseason, but LE is doing what it takes to stick so far.

Dude,

 

Eriksson has gone far longer than a game without a point.  

 

As for a preset mind.  I am always open to new evidence.  I haven't seen what I need from him to show me to be redeemed.  I would be happy to be wrong.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loui’s caphit is 6m, I’m sure he was paid a lot up front in the form of signing bonus meaning his actual owed dollars are probably not that high, which means it wouldn’t be as unjustified to send him to Utica.

that being said Loui deserves to be on the roster he’s played quite well so far 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stawns said:

it's been the same competition for all the players, so it's a level field.  

 

Sure, but compared to other players he doesn't get around as well anymore. Speed picking up is less of a concern for other regulars.

 

I value what Loui can bring in a 4 line PK role, but a little pre-season production won't fool me into thinking he's turned a corner.

 

Agree he's good enough to legitimately make this team, we'll see what he can do in a lesser role. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Dude,

 

Eriksson has gone far longer than a game without a point.  

 

As for a preset mind.  I am always open to new evidence.  I haven't seen what I need from him to show me to be redeemed.  I would be happy to be wrong.  

Ignore the past and look at the present. How has he fared amongst his competition so far? Not saying he's a lock as there's still a lot of preseason left, but at this point, there's absolutely no reason to think he's not in the mix to make the team amongst the rest of the bubble players.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say keep him up as long as we can fit him under the cap. 

I want the best 12 forwards every night and if he is one of the 12, he belongs here. 

If he has a resurgence this year, i bet a lot of people will eat crow. 

Then again, if he does well amd a good trade comes along, ship him out. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Oilers v Flames right now.  McDavid isn’t playing, but I think they have the rest of their top players out there.  Are they really this bad? 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

 

Sure, but compared to other players he doesn't get around as well anymore. Speed picking up is less of a concern for other regulars.

 

I value what Loui can bring in a 4 line PK role, but a little pre-season production won't fool me into thinking he's turned a corner.

 

Agree he's good enough to legitimately make this team, we'll see what he can do in a lesser role. 

I don't think anyone is thinking that, just that he's legitimately earning a spot on the roster.  If it were any other player, people would be thrilled with a 4th liner putting up numbers and playing well 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Maybe here is where you and I might be in disagreement.  To you, Loui has to be outplayed by someone to loses his spot.  Too me, if a younger player and Eriksson are neck and neck, Eriksson has lost.  

 

Just being good enough to stay on the roster as a 30 plus year old declining player with an odorous contract vs a young player on an upward trend with potential to get better, hungry to stay in the line up.  

 

If that's a tie, heck even if it's close, bye bye Loui.  

 

10 out of 10

I get what you're saying, but I don't think FA and JB see it that way and that's one of the benefits to being a vet.......you've earned the benefit of the doubt by paying your dues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Pettersson the goat said:

Have to stay where the money is and wife’s family is all here so I’m screwed

So you value money and your wife's family more than your true happiness? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Watching Oilers v Flames right now.  McDavid isn’t playing, but I think they have the rest of their top players out there.  Are they really this bad? 

Maybe it's the mood in the team. Mc David is a great player, but making him captain so young was perhaps a big mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.