The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Jake Hate????

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

Patience is a virtue.

Jake looks like the first rounder we drafted. I’m really glad Green, Benning and everyone involved with the Canucks organization stuck with him through his mistakes and learning curves. The payoff if he continues like this could be the 1st line power forward we were hoping for. Worst case he’s a solid 2nd or 3rd liner who can play up and down the lineup when injuries occur. He’s finally learned that by improving the defensive side of his game it frees him up for more offense at the other end of the ice. Kudos to all involved with Virtanen’s development especially after the WD era seemed to knock his confidence out. And of course cheers to Virtanen himself for continuing to work on it even with lower ice time in games.

He earned this chance to play with the top line and Green’s gambit to split up the lotto line moving Boeser to the 3rd while controversial here so far is paying dividends both offensively and defensively.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay

That was by far his best game. Not because of the two assists or the takeaways but his composure. If seemed he knew what kind of time and space he had the entire game as well as what his options were.

Great game a did not look like a passenger at all

22 hours ago, Provost said:

I never said anywhere that he is on the decline.  I said his improvement has been incremental and modest.   That is not my opinion, that is reality.  I am pointing out that there isn’t some sudden arrival like people are saying where he has proven himself to be a vastly different player than he has been before.  Aside from a very short stretch of games, he has continued on that slow trajectory that you can easily plot out amongst his game to game performance.

You need to take a large enough sample to mean anything or project any trends.   A month or even a few months is not long enough to do that with any degree of confidence.

Look, I'm not going to get into a big, analytical and statistical report on Jake.   I don't feel like doing a bunch of research to prove my point...which is I  believe the investment in Jake has been worth it and we're starting to see the results of that.  No player is a "given" to keep performing (well).  Not sure why Jake should be any different or under that microscope all the time? 

What I know is this....he HAS improved and even his coach identifies that he's connecting dots and starting to flourish.  Some don't catch on as quickly and the fact that TG's been persistent and patient is for a reason.  You don't get too many young guys of his size with his speed and just give up on them.  He's been a bit of a project but to deny his improvement or somehow want to break it down to something else is suspect to me.

If a few months of improvement has been shown, that's reason enough to claim he's "improved".  No player is on and consistent every game so why set the bar there for Jake?  

Here's the "large enough" sample size:

image.png

He's more disciplined, he's more focused, he's more engaged.   His shots are more accurate and selective.

Not sure what more you can ask of him?  Or why some have to stay stuck on their stance that "he's not" when it's starting to show that he is.  If you're a fan of the team you should be happy that he's turning his game on.  Not sad because it's not how you've projected it to be.

image.png

14 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Jake's game all around is getting better. His knowledge of the game, the defensive part of his game. When that happens, a player feels good about himself. And he's playing more, and he deserves to play more. I've obviously had Jake a long time, and I'm happy for him." - Green on Virtanen

On 9/19/2019 at 8:55 PM, Snapshot85 said:

So today I was listening to a popular canucks radio show. The 2 hosts suggested that jake virtanen is one of the 5 canucks being shopped right now. Their view is that if we get offered a second round pick to jump on it. 

Seriously that was their view.

Now this leads me to believe that us as a whole is sour on the kid. 

I like Jake I'll admit, but I'm not in the jake virtanen or bust camp.

But a second round pick is ridiculous... he is at least worth a first. In fact hes worth more than a first round pick. 

I will back this up with facts.

Forwards are drafted to put the puck in the net. 

Out of Jake's draft class 25 forwards were drafted in the first round. I'll use his draft class alone because they are apples to apples in age and development.

Of those 25 forwards drafted in the first round.... only 9 ... count it 9 scored more nhl goals than Jake in 18-19. 15 players found the back of the net less often.  This means hes well above 50% so better than a random first round pick. Also the goals scored and nhl success rate of the second rounders is weak at best.

Adding to Jake's value is.... a few truths... hes improved every year, hes top 3 fastest skaters in the nhl ( subjective I know) and he hits like a moose when he wants to. Hes on a cheap contract !

And to add to his value...he can help a team now... today!!

When he realizes that this is a job.. and hes not just a kid playing a game anymore... he will take it all a bit more serious  and it will all click.  

So to suggest hes worth a second round pick is ludacris. 

I know we all had super high expectations of him when he was picked..... maybe he hasnt lived up to our lofty expectations.... 

But a second round pick. 

Coming from hockey guys like that. 

Shows me ... we should all lighten up on jake a bit.

Let's see what he does in 19/20 before giving him away. 

Thanks all

Your serious??? Put down the joint sir..  or whatever it is your on... LoL

• Wat 1

On 9/19/2019 at 10:05 PM, mpt said:

I agree, they should keep him because he’s worth nothing.  Worth more to keep him then to give him away for nothing.  He’s worth more to us than a 2nd round pick or another young forward needing a change

Uh, ok.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Another quality post by oldman64...

Yeah yeah the media is ALWAYS right, I forgot... My bad... They nailed JT Miller deal perfectly, what a bum! We got fleeced! EP40 is too slight and will never make it in the NHL, Marky was all but washed up with no hope for improvement ever... 

How can you even consider believing the crap, was pretty much my reaction.. media blah blah blah.. according to them, aren't we supposed to be in last place or close to it? Seriously? Lmao!!! 

Edited by iceman64
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1