The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Jake Hate????

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

V for the Church guy...everyone on here that said take a second and run repent.   I've repented (although at least I said take a first and run with it) ...

JV's coming out - can't really blame fans given where he was drafted and the expetations - but it looks like we've got a winner after all.  Good time to break out for sure.   TG...and his tough love is working out great - bet he's been in his corner for a long time and just waiting to lay the hammer down - which in this case is first line deployment.   Props to all those believers...remember when we should have picked Nischuckin or whatever his name was?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Like to see him take his game to the next level, he's making some skilled plays out there now and to be honest deserves to be on the top line over Boeser.

I'm still certainly on the "should have drafted Nylander" camp, was from the get-go and probably always will be, and as he's scoring at a point-per-game pace there's no denying he's the more prolific scorer, but I'm hoping Jake can ramp his game up in the playoffs. We haven't seen much physicality from Jake to be honest, I think mainly because he's ao focussed on scoring and contributing to our top line rather than being caught out of position, but I'd like to see him learn a thing or two from Miller about winning puck battles and using his physicality smartly. Miller is the perfect mould for Virtanen so playing together will hopefully rub off on Jake.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2020 at 9:29 PM, Wanless said:

@Provost

Blip?

Yes apparently so.

5 point in 18 games since the beginning of Feb.

He has had three different seasons this year.

Oct-early Dec he played poorly

Dec-Jan he played well

Feb-Mar he has played poorly 

He keeps showing he is the player he has been all along.  I think he is improved overall year over year, but has already been surpassed production wise by Gaudette who has a higher PPG rate than Virtanen with fewer minutes player per game and not getting chances in the top six premium minutes.

I still say Virtanen is expendable and if we can get a good return for him, we take it.  MacEwan can take that 3rd line roster spot well enough, and Podkolzin comes a season after that to push Jake further down the lineup.

If trading Jake lets us sign Toffoli for example, we are way ahead of the game.

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yes apparently so.

5 point in 18 games since the beginning of Feb.

He has had three different seasons this year.

Oct-early Dec he played poorly

Dec-Jan he played well

Feb-Mar he has played poorly 

He keeps showing he is the player he has been all along.  I think he is improved overall year over year, but has already been surpassed production wise by Gaudette who has a higher PPG rate than Virtanen with fewer minutes player per game and not getting chances in the top six premium minutes.

I still say Virtanen is expendable and if we can get a good return for him, we take it.  MacEwan can take that 3rd line roster spot well enough, and Podkolzin comes a season after that to push Jake further down the lineup.

If trading Jake lets us sign Toffoli for example, we are way ahead of the game.

If it comes down to Jake or Toffoli Id go with Toffoli. MacEwan has shown that he is also effective as third line RW.

I still think Jake is better then his numbers suggest, he's been victim to greens blender bouncing from line to line and role to role.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Wanless said:

If it comes down to Jake or Toffoli Id go with Toffoli. MacEwan has shown that he is also effective as third line RW.

I still think Jake is better then his numbers suggest, he's been victim to greens blender bouncing from line to line and role to role.

I think he has benefited from the line bouncing actually.  He has been put in the top six a lot.  He was left on the third line for a long stretch when Roussel came back and sparked that line to produce for a few weeks.

If you can package Jake up with a bad contract or two and use that money to sign Toffoli, you end up ahead.

Jake is club controlled and Toffoli can leave for free, that makes it an easy answer from my point of view.  
Toffoli > Virtanen and only one of them can return you assets/cap space.

MacEwan already brings close what we have always wanted from Virtanen in terms of physical play and power forward ability... and will be way cheaper. Podkolzin is only a year away as another power forward... and is fairly quickly going to push even MacEwan down the lineup.

We would have our Right Wing position taken care of for years:

Toffoli

Boeser

Podkolzin

MacEwan

I think there is a decent chance Virtanen is a player who thrives more in the playoffs, and that raises his trade value (Toffoli has already shown himself to be a playoff performer).

This is likely peak value for Virtanen.  He will likely still get better, but the return we can get for him now will help us out a lot more than even a slightly better return down the road.

Edited by Provost

On 1/19/2020 at 1:51 AM, CptCanuck16 said:

The year is 2029 and Virtanen tallies his 1,000th career point.

Provost: Its just an anomaly guys. Look at his corsi! He's playing sheltered minutes! The data sample isn't big enough to say he's turned the corner yet. Trade him for picks before it's too late!:gocan:

The year is still 2020... Virtanen has reverted to form (well actually below his normal form) and since the short sample size of success, he is ice cold at 5 points in 18 games (under a 23 point pace over a season).

CptCanuck16:  Virtanen is going to break out any year now!  

The good news is that the worry about his contract value in an arbitration case has abated.

Edited by Provost