The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Jake Hate????

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

Trading Jake is such a bad idea. Thankfully, I expect it’s one that only media types really entertain. I doubt management is considering it, barring some outrageous overpayment offer. At this point, the team has invested so much time, energy, and assets (as in the pick itself) in Virtanen, and it’s highly unlikely they can ever really recoup what they put in. Better to just stay the course and keep working with Jake until he realizes his potential. He’s likely never going to be the top-6 scoring winger they hoped they’d drafted. But he can be a really useful and valuable player still, and of a rare variety that can be a significant impact player in a 3rd line role. Maybe not the result you want from a 6th overall pick, but nonetheless a valuable piece on any roster, and one that not every team has (but that most covet). I still see Jake becoming a key role player on a Cup contending (and winning hopefully) team one day. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Trading Jake is such a bad idea. Thankfully, I expect it’s one that only media types really entertain. I doubt management is considering it, barring some outrageous overpayment offer. At this point, the team has invested so much time, energy, and assets (as in the pick itself) in Virtanen, and it’s highly unlikely they can ever really recoup what they put in. Better to just stay the course and keep working with Jake until he realizes his potential. He’s likely never going to be the top-6 scoring winger they hoped they’d drafted. But he can be a really useful and valuable player still, and of a rare variety that can be a significant impact player in a 3rd line role. Maybe not the result you want from a 6th overall pick, but nonetheless a valuable piece on any roster, and one that not every team has (but that most covet). I still see Jake becoming a key role player on a Cup contending (and winning hopefully) team one day. 

I agree, they should keep him because he’s worth nothing.  Worth more to keep him then to give him away for nothing.  He’s worth more to us than a 2nd round pick or another young forward needing a change

Edited by mpt
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 2

24 minutes ago, mpt said:

He’s not worth a 1st rounder, the potential of a pick is worth more.  If he’s traded it’s for another young player falling out of an organization.

With respect,

like I said.... he scored more goals than over 60% of 1st round forwards in his draft year (yes small sample size) Hes defneitly worth a first rounder. Not all picks can be petty boeser or hughes.

I'm just sayin if they move the kid.... get actual value.... we dont need to see a Taylor hall scenario in vancouver.

Edited by Snapshot85
  • Cheers 1

Just now, mpt said:

And Laine easily by far plays better offensively.  Which would you rather have?

For 10 million I don’t want Laine.  I’d much rather have Bess for 6, Jake for 1.5, and have 3.5 left for Beagle.  JB is building a team.  Laine would not be good for the team.  Jake is perfect for our third line.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Snapshot85 said:

With respect,

like I said.... he scored more goals than over 60% of 1st round forwards in his draft year (yes small sample size) Hes defneitly worth a first rounder. Not all picks can be pretty boeser or hughes.

I'm just sayin if they move the kid.... get actual value.... we dont need to see a Taylor hall scenario in vancouver.

I agree, except the potential value of 1st rounders are way over inflated, hence why so many teams over value their first rounders and therefore Virtanen wouldn’t be traded for one.  He’d be traded for another young player instead of a draft pick.  I would t trade him for a 2nd rounder as you said, he’s worth more than a 2nd as most never turn into anything

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

For 10 million I don’t want Laine.  I’d much rather have Bess for 6, Jake for 1.5, and have 3.5 left for Beagle.  JB is building a team.  Laine would not be good for the team.  Jake is perfect for our third line.  

You assume he wants 10 million,  can’t pick numbers out of thin air