Canucks Community

Why the Jake Hate????

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

18 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

No they don't.

Virtanen- 47.8%

Laine- 46.2%

And that doesn't take into account the fact that Laine was deployed in the top 6 for most of the season, while Virtanen played up and down the lineup. I don't have the stats in fron of me, but I'm willing to bet Laine got a larger percentage of O-zone starts than Virtanen did as well. 

Don't show this to Jake's agent!

:blink:

• Haha 3

I don't hate Jake, but I just don't think he'll ever be anything more than a bottom 6 forward.  He has a lot of physical attributes, but he lacks on the mental side of the game, he's a very blunt instrument and doesn't process the game at a high enough level to play effectively with our top talent.  Green has spent so much time working with Jake and it's always the same questions that come up year in and year out.  

I think it's time for fans to adjust their expectations for Jake, accept what he won't be and appreciate what he brings to the table.  If he can play with the same tenacity we've seen from Rousell night in and night out, i'll be super happy with him.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Bitter Melon said:

If he were a third rounder and not a 6th overall fans would be over the moon with him. I think they just have to let go of draft position.

Yep that's exactly it, this was clearly a Linden pick, wanting that local boy good story to reinvigorate some excitement and connection with the fanbase.  It's not Jake's fault he couldn't live up to other's expectations of him, so it's time to stop holding him accountable to unreasonable standards.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Not a Jake hater but c'mon! 

Laine averages more goals per year than Virt does total points.

Give me the elite sniper at 9M anyday. 

We have an elite sniper signed for the next 3 years, and someone who has a more well rounded game than Laine as well.  Think about what Green expects from his players in terms of defensive responsibility, he'd be a horrible fit here.

I'm not saying Jake is better than Laine, i'm just pointing out that Laine would be a bad fit on this team.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, snipes2539 said:

I don't hate Jake, but I just don't think he'll ever be anything more than a bottom 6 forward.  He has a lot of physical attributes, but he lacks on the mental side of the game, he's a very blunt instrument and doesn't process the game at a high enough level to play effectively with our top talent.  Green has spent so much time working with Jake and it's always the same questions that come up year in and year out.  

I think it's time for fans to adjust their expectations for Jake, accept what he won't be and appreciate what he brings to the table.  If he can play with the same tenacity we've seen from Rousell night in and night out, i'll be super happy with him.

I'm okay with him being a bottom-6 forward (as there's nothing wrong with that), but it's very telling when he's already been to multiple training camps, knew exactly what was expected of him, and showed up out of shape. The elite tools are there - yes. Do I want him to succeed - yes, I really do. But at this point, he just seems satisfied that he's made the NHL. Nothing more.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

I don't hate Jake. Just the person who decided to pick Jake Virtanen. It's either Linden, Benning, or Aquilini. One of these 3 is the person I hate.

Yeah it's really a shame, we could have had Josh Ho-Sang, Sonny Milano or even Nikolai Goldobin!

(Yes I'm being deliberately obtuse but for reals the 2014 draft wasn't exactly a gold mine)

(Except for the Russian Monster Nikita Tryamkin of course - a steal of steals in the 3rd round lol)

22 minutes ago, brbetts542 said:

Jake needs half a season in the press box.

If after that green is happy with his dedication, maturity and fitness then let him back into the line up. If he still hasn't figured it out, cut your losses - The team is passing him by

Yeah that should really help his conditioning and dedication, not playing for half the season

Edited by BrockBoester
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

A 2nd is debatable, but if someone offers you a 1st for Virtanen, you take it and run. 

LOL if someone where to offer you a 1st... ANY 1st youd trade Virt(who is a 1st and will play meaningful minutes)for another completely random shot at another player? Really?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I really expect to see a break out season for Jake year.  He will start to hit his stride this year as a 23 year old.

Remember as a  22 yr old . Bertuzzi  had 13 goals...

Virt had 15 goals.

Power forwards take more time to develop. 

I agree with all of this but I was talking about his effort and commitment.   He could have been further ahead by now and should be.

3 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

Yeah it's really a shame, we could have had Josh Ho-Sang, Sonny Milano or even Nikolai Goldobin!

(Yes I'm being deliberately obtuse but for reals the 2014 draft wasn't exactly a gold mine)

(Except for the Russian Monster Nikita Tryamkin of course - a steal of steals in the 3rd round lol)

Yeah that should really help his conditioning and dedication, not playing for half the season

3 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

6 hours ago, snipes2539 said:

Yep that's exactly it, this was clearly a Linden pick, wanting that local boy good story to reinvigorate some excitement and connection with the fanbase.  It's not Jake's fault he couldn't live up to other's expectations of him, so it's time to stop holding him accountable to unreasonable standards.

What’s a Linden pick?  He played for Medicine Hat - went second overall (and there was a possibility he’d go first - Quin was relieved when he didn’t as he was their pick from the start) leader - a lot bigger frame then JV and he used it way more too (so far at least - three times put guys through the glass got to be a Canucks record)  good old Canadian boy for sure but that’s about where the similarities start and finish.  Also stepped in right away and accomplished a lot his first five years (not that it was what your suggesting just wanted to point it out) - and was the obvious choice to be our next Captain right from the start - that’s definitely something these guys don’t have in common.   

A Linden pick would be closer to Horvat then anything - he was a clutch guy on a loaded London team that had some ( not nearly as much though) leadership ability coming into the draft.   Still even then not the same Linden was going to be drafted near the top at the time where as Horvat and JV were not.

4 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

LOL if someone where to offer you a 1st... ANY 1st youd trade Virt(who is a 1st and will play meaningful minutes)for another completely random shot at another player? Really?

It’s that chance that gives GMs and fans wet dreams .... maybe we get another Boeser or a Pastrnak....just as likely we get a Schroeder.   There’s a small risk not taking the trade too - what if JV has hit his ceiling now, we have other guys that could get the same production playing the same minutes - too many guys for the roster in fact - flipping JV now while he still has value to someone (I doubt anyone would pay that much anyways but just for the sake of conversation - first rounders are more coveted then they used to be as teams need guys on cheap contracts) is better then keeping him as a serviceable third liner (those guys aren’t hard to find) ...

In the end I want to see him play at least one more year - I’m in the camp that thinks there still is a modest to small possibility he breaks out - he’s good 5 x 5 for his assignments and his linemates -doubt Ferland or Pearson will or can do any better and look at their cost - and think he’d easily score 20 in the top six - maybe 25 even now that our top six is much better then it was two years ago.

• Upvote 2

I don't believe they're giving up on Jake just yet. His conditioning is what he needs to improve. He needs to be able to skate hard for 200ft for at least 30-45s a shift, every shift. But he has all the other tools to be a really good player for us. 

Having said this, it wouldn't surprise me if they shop him, but they'll only let him go if they get a good return. A 2nd is not that. Maybe a 1st. (It must be frustrating for Green et al when Jake comes to camp out of shape.)

• Upvote 1