The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Jake Hate????

Rate this topic

Snapshot85

Jake will have a great season this year. 

I hope Green gives him more responsibility and gives him looks on the second line as a reward for his play. 

Hes big and Talented and we will see him rise this season. Prime years ahead. Like many of our players. 

I would be upset to say the least if they traded him. 

Edited by Bertorama
  • Upvote 1

I wasn't able to watch the LA game but from what I saw on the highlights, Jake made three good passes and I don't get how some people are bashing him.....he does the lil things right and that's what green wants and he took a hit to make a play....the pass to Hughes and then Guad scores and there's two other plays too. 

Jake is never going to show up every game , heck I cant think of one power player that does even ovie takes nights off..... This season will be big for him and I can't wait....

Jake is facing a problem a lot of pwfs go through.....he can play in the bottom six and all he needs is a chance to be on the second line and then leave him there for 15-20 games and watch out. 

Bert came and we gave him a chance and look what he did....

• Upvote 1

On 9/19/2019 at 8:55 PM, Snapshot85 said:

So today I was listening to a popular canucks radio show. The 2 hosts suggested that jake virtanen is one of the 5 canucks being shopped right now. Their view is that if we get offered a second round pick to jump on it.

This has been a common theme for quite some time (or at least seems to be a consistent undercurrent in certain parts of the Van media).

But is this a 'rumour', where these guys claim to have a source - or is this what seems to be more common - the suggestion - of those media?  This stuff gets inserted fairly freely in media - somewhat important distinction - and a reason quotes - accurate representation of what is being said - always helps.

I doubt the Canucks are 'shopping' Virtanen - not going to pretend to 'know' that, but I rarely take this kind of Vancouver media noise seriously - at least not in the absence of a clear claim where someone 'reputable' puts some accountancy behind their claim.  The team might have some relative wealth on the wings - and particularly young right wings (/right handed forwards = a possibility a guy like Gaudette winds up on the wing, at least early in his career at the NHL level?).  But selling Virtanen - imo would be selling early and low - while there are a handful of forwards in the mix I would move (and/or waive in a few cases) before 'shopping' him (Eriksson, Schaller,  Goldobin, Leivo probably Baertschi and Pearson as well).  With Virtanen - (and maybe Goldobin) - we haven't seen what they become at this level - not necessarily reason in itself to retain a player, but Virtanen has too rare a toolbox to undersell too early in the process imo.  Not buying this rumour - don't really think it makes sense. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

This has been a common theme for quite some time (or at least seems to be a consistent undercurrent in certain parts of the Van media).

But is this a 'rumour', where these guys claim to have a source - or is this what seems to be more common - the suggestion - of those media?  This stuff gets inserted fairly freely in media - somewhat important distinction - and a reason quotes - accurate representation of what is being said - always helps.

I doubt the Canucks are 'shopping' Virtanen - not going to pretend to 'know' that, but I rarely take this kind of Vancouver media noise seriously - at least not in the absence of a clear claim where someone 'reputable' puts some accountancy behind their claim.  The team might have some relative wealth on the wings - and particularly young right wings (/right handed forwards = a possibility a guy like Gaudette winds up on the wing, at least early in his career at the NHL level?).  But selling Virtanen - imo would be selling early and low - while there are a handful of forwards in the mix I would move (and/or waive in a few cases) before 'shopping' him (Eriksson, Schaller,  Goldobin, Leivo probably Baertschi and Pearson as well).  With Virtanen - (and maybe Goldobin) - we haven't seen what they become at this level - not necessarily reason in itself to retain a player, but Virtanen has too rare a toolbox to undersell too early in the process imo.  Not buying this rumour - don't really think it makes sense. 

Probably just rumors coming out of their behinds. Not likely substantial sources to really indicate that Virtanen is being shopped. 

13 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I wasn't able to watch the LA game but from what I saw on the highlights, Jake made three good passes and I don't get how some people are bashing him.....he does the lil things right and that's what green wants and he took a hit to make a play....the pass to Hughes and then Guad scores and there's two other plays too. 

Jake is never going to show up every game , heck I cant think of one power player that does even ovie takes nights off..... This season will be big for him and I can't wait....

Jake is facing a problem a lot of pwfs go through.....he can play in the bottom six and all he needs is a chance to be on the second line and then leave him there for 15-20 games and watch out. 

Bert came and we gave him a chance and look what he did....

I'm not convinced that Jake will ever amount to a top six forward. He has tantalizing set of skills, but similar but not completely the same - as Goldobin, where the growing sense is that he may never actually put everything together to become an effective, point producing NHL player. He will get his points, but I get the feeling that Virtanen's biggest threat to his career will be his consistency. He just doesn't show up every game. I hope, again, that I am wrong, because I absolutely like Jake as a player. I believe in him, which is why often times when he's disappointed, it really isn't just disappointing, but it's really disappointing. He has all the skills in the world to make a difference in the best league in the world, and at least up until now, he's not quite there yet. This season is a big one for him, because after this season, I get the sense that the fanbase is pretty much going to see him for what he is. If he doesn't score 20 goals this year, he's going to be seen as a disappointment unfortunately. I'm still willing to give him probably another 2-3 years after this year, and see if he's the classic "powerforwards take longer to develop' - I mean, how much more disappointed can we be at that time

13 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

And micheal del colle and Sam bennet are just ripping it up ha that draft was something......

No kidding eh? 

Bennett not even a top six forward and he was taken so early in the draft. 

Del Colle seems to be a bust at this point. If the Canucks had taken him, he would be absolutely been crucified, and so would Benning. 

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm not convinced that Jake will ever amount to a top six forward. He has tantalizing set of skills, but similar but not completely the same - as Goldobin, where the growing sense is that he may never actually put everything together to become an effective, point producing NHL player. He will get his points, but I get the feeling that Virtanen's biggest threat to his career will be his consistency. He just doesn't show up every game. I hope, again, that I am wrong, because I absolutely like Jake as a player. I believe in him, which is why often times when he's disappointed, it really isn't just disappointing, but it's really disappointing. He has all the skills in the world to make a difference in the best league in the world, and at least up until now, he's not quite there yet. This season is a big one for him, because after this season, I get the sense that the fanbase is pretty much going to see him for what he is. If he doesn't score 20 goals this year, he's going to be seen as a disappointment unfortunately. I'm still willing to give him probably another 2-3 years after this year, and see if he's the classic "powerforwards take longer to develop' - I mean, how much more disappointed can we be at that time

I think if Jake shows up in 60 games that's not bad and that's the usual for pwfs , 60 to 70 games. Green said Jake had around 40 good games last year and I can see him building off that. 

If you look at his whl days Connor rankin was his center and Bo plays a similar style and I don't see Jake carrying a line by him self for 80 games and last season that's kinda what green wanted so the fact he did it for 40 games isn't to bad, in my books. 

I think his biggest problem is he needs a mean streak or needs to get get hit ever game to wake him up.....I don't think Jake realizes he could bull guys over just like he did in jr.....

the team also hasn't given him the Goldy treatment either.....Jake is a simple player that has looked good on Bo's wing. 

Last season Jake had a ten game stretch were he looked good but green still didn't bump him up cause he needed Jake on the third line, we lacked depth,we got that now. 

You say your not convinced his a top six player....I think with Bo , he is cause bo plays a simple game. 

The canucks haven't put Jake in a position to put up points and I'm not talking about oh one game played with Petey, if he was going to play with Petey he would have to spend years developing chemistry like burrows did with the Sedins. 

So until I see him by Bo for say 10 games in not sure we know what we have just yet.....

51 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

No kidding eh? 

Bennett not even a top six forward and he was taken so early in the draft. 

Del Colle seems to be a bust at this point. If the Canucks had taken him, he would be absolutely been crucified, and so would Benning. 

Or if Jim took Richie ha Jake may not be lighting it up but his has an elite skating and when his on watch out ha 

• Cheers 1

On 9/19/2019 at 8:59 PM, kingofsurrey said:

No way Canucks trade shotgun Jake.

He has the rare skills set of . size and speed and shot.

No way we trade him. 

What it the point in having those skills if he never uses them? What value is someone who only taps into his potential 1 in every 5 games? How can a coach rely on that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Or if Jim took Richie ha Jake may not be lighting it up but his has an elite skating and when his on watch out ha 

Very different skillset, but both are 3rd line Ws.  Richie is a very tough customer and puts up similar #s to Jake.  He would look pretty good in a Canuck jersey.

On 9/19/2019 at 8:55 PM, Snapshot85 said:

So today I was listening to a popular canucks radio show. The 2 hosts suggested that jake virtanen is one of the 5 canucks being shopped right now. Their view is that if we get offered a second round pick to jump on it. 

Seriously that was their view.

Now this leads me to believe that us as a whole is sour on the kid. 

I like Jake I'll admit, but I'm not in the jake virtanen or bust camp.

But a second round pick is ridiculous... he is at least worth a first. In fact hes worth more than a first round pick. 

I will back this up with facts.

Forwards are drafted to put the puck in the net. 

Out of Jake's draft class 25 forwards were drafted in the first round. I'll use his draft class alone because they are apples to apples in age and development.

Of those 25 forwards drafted in the first round.... only 9 ... count it 9 scored more nhl goals than Jake in 18-19. 15 players found the back of the net less often.  This means hes well above 50% so better than a random first round pick. Also the goals scored and nhl success rate of the second rounders is weak at best.

Adding to Jake's value is.... a few truths... hes improved every year, hes top 3 fastest skaters in the nhl ( subjective I know) and he hits like a moose when he wants to. Hes on a cheap contract !

And to add to his value...he can help a team now... today!!

When he realizes that this is a job.. and hes not just a kid playing a game anymore... he will take it all a bit more serious  and it will all click.  

So to suggest hes worth a second round pick is ludacris. 

I know we all had super high expectations of him when he was picked..... maybe he hasnt lived up to our lofty expectations.... 

But a second round pick. 

Coming from hockey guys like that. 

Shows me ... we should all lighten up on jake a bit.

Let's see what he does in 19/20 before giving him away. 

Thanks all

He didn't magically turn into a 40 - 50 point player the year after he was drafted and he has struggled for consistency, same as happens with a lot of power forwards who make the jump from Junior to NHL too early.

Now, people can't see past that and don't like to give him the time needed to develop and grow into his potential.

If we give the kid a break, he might just surprise us.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Very different skillset, but both are 3rd line Ws.  Richie is a very tough customer and puts up similar #s to Jake.  He would look pretty good in a Canuck jersey.

Iirc Richie hasn't been all smooth sailing either with his fitness and I'm sure neither team wanted a 3 line player in the top ten of the draft. 

On 9/20/2019 at 1:02 PM, Alflives said:

10 million for Laine?  No thanks.  I’d much rather have Jake, who is clearly already a solid third line guy, and keep our room and cap structure in good shape.  

Agreed.  

Laine won’t be getting 10 million anytime soon.......especially in light of the recent “bridge” deals that have been offered to comparables  such as Boeser and Point.  

Laine is looking at a bridge deal.  

• Upvote 1

I’m not sure what to think about Jake.

He clearly has the tools, but he’s a mental midget.  He doesn’t think the game well, and his off ice work ethic is clearly questionable.   He’s still young enough to “get it,” but I’m not really sure if he’s going to.   I was very disappointed by his first day at Camp this season.   Jake is and was in a position where he absolutely needed to come to camp guns ablazing, and he showed up like this instead.

Jake needs to step up.   I still want to hold onto Jake, given his potential, but I do believe that the tough love being thrown his way is completely justified.

• Upvote 1