The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is the best city to play in in the NHL?

Rate this topic

hockeygod77

Well, since the question is based around best city and not building/fan atmosphere, I’d base my decision on education quality for my kids. So, in that regard, it would be in this order for top 5:

1. Washington

2. Denver (Avs)

3. Columbus

4. Detroit

5. Chicago

Those are the cities with NHL teams that have the highest rating in the US for education quality. Considering I’d be away from home constantly during the season, I’d want to make sure my kids are getting the best education they can get. And when I retire, they’re already plugged into the best education possible. That’s huge.

When you’re a multi millionaire, safety isn’t an issue, as you’re living in the best neighbourhoods already, so Detroit wouldn’t concern me.

The actual answer is that it depends entirely on the individual player. Some love the spotlight, some hate being recognized. Some love hot weather, others hate it. Some love places with a bunch of things to do, others want a quiet place to raise a family.

There is no universally best city to play in.

I see a few have picked Florida,right in HURRICANE season and I don't mean the Carolina Hurricanes.It doesn't matter if you are a millionaire or not HURRICANES aren't fussy, they will level everything you have.

I pick the fifth most beautiful city in the world VANCOUVER(home town boy),does anyone remember when Sidney Crosby shot that golden goal at the Olympics,what a great atmosphere we had for a few days after that beauty.

Edited by DADDYROCK

If I was a superstar it'd have to be one of the original 6—let's make that 5—I don't think the centre of the universe would sit well with me. However if I was an average bread-and-butter lunch pail player earning a measly 2-3 million a year, put me somewhere where relatively speaking, there's no winter and nobody knows or cares who I am.

7 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Nashville or Columbus for me Columbus is just a nice city and Nashville obviously the more fun city. 

Have you been to Columbus? Do you really think Columbus is nice???

Not trying to be rude, just thought was an interesting take!

Edited by Grape

1 minute ago, Grape said:

Interesting take!

Isn’t Columbus a top ten city in the US or something?  I think all US cities suck socks, but I thought Columbus was a bit better than most? 

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Well, since the question is based around best city and not building/fan atmosphere, I’d base my decision on education quality for my kids. So, in that regard, it would be in this order for top 5:

1. Washington

2. Denver (Avs)

3. Columbus

4. Detroit

5. Chicago

Those are the cities with NHL teams that have the highest rating in the US for education quality. Considering I’d be away from home constantly during the season, I’d want to make sure my kids are getting the best education they can get. And when I retire, they’re already plugged into the best education possible. That’s huge.

When you’re a multi millionaire, safety isn’t an issue, as you’re living in the best neighbourhoods already, so Detroit wouldn’t concern me.

When you're a multimillionaire, you can pretty much choose what top end prep school to go to, so no need to tie yourself to cities like Detroit and Cbus IMO.

Not knocking on these cities exactly, I live 40 mins outside of Detroit as of now and it's violent crimes are all pretty centralized in specific locations, so it's not as much of a problem as some think.

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t Columbus a top ten city in the US or something?  I think all US cities suck socks, but I thought Columbus was a bit better than most? 

Top ten? I've genuinely never heard Columbus being anywhere close to top 10. Just with so many cities to choose from in the NHL, there isn't exactly an area Columbus is great at or better than others at. I mean I guess it is up and coming, but there's just nothing spectacular about it to me. I believe I saw a stat that Columbus is literally where the most average person lives, in the sense that if you were to test a new product for the American market, Columbus is the best spot to choose given that its demographic is almost exactly like the overall US demographic. Its downtown is nice, but any large American city is going to have a nice downtown, hell the first time I went to downtown Detroit which is supposedly one of the worst American cities, I was pretty blown away.

At least with Nashville, there's something unique and spectacular about it (music). With Columbus I just thought it was an interesting city to pick given it's spectacular averageness.

However, I'm heavily biased against Columbus as one may be able to infer from my sig or location, so maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

Edited by Grape

17 minutes ago, Grape said:

Not trying to be rude, just thought was an interesting take!

I like smaller cities to begin with and Columbus is a good size and a nice looking city I haven't been yet but would like to go. Might package up a trip there with a trip to see the Browns as well. 

5D309DBC-771A-4D91-964E-D1A71E293F7F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Grape said:

When you're a multimillionaire, you can pretty much choose what top end prep school to go to, so no need to tie yourself to cities like Detroit and Cbus IMO.

Not knocking on these cities exactly, I live 40 mins outside of Detroit as of now and it's violent crimes are all pretty centralized in specific locations, so it's not as much of a problem as some think.

Cool. 

I’d still pick those cities for education and family.

• Upvote 2

I would have to go with Boston.  I love the New England area, and from my understanding Boston is a beautiful city.  The fan support is good in Boston as well.  You would get to participate in many outdoor games.  A Boston sports team always seems to be contending for a title, which creates excitement around the city.  The Garden is a staple around the league.  Short commute to many cities.  By playing in Boston you also get to be apart of some of the NHLs oldest and most exciting rivalries.  Overall, Boston would be the ideal city for me.  With all that being said, I absolutely hate the Bruins.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1