The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks @ Kings - Sep 21st 2019 - 6PM from Salt Lake City Utah

Rate this topic

xereau

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

They weird throughout in general. Spoke about anything else than the game most of it.... worst pile of verbal diarrhoea in a long time... 

He played well offensively, but I lost track of how many goals against he was on the ice for, at least two of them directly tied to.him.  let him be the top dog in Utica and develop his defensive game.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

He played well offensively, but I lost track of how many goals against he was on the ice for, at least two of them directly tied to.him.  let him be the top dog in Utica and develop his defensive game.

When the goaltending is "sketchy", it impacts the rest of the guys and their stats.  Would they even BE goals if the goaltender was on point?

He was giving his all out there and, yes, has to work on that end of things.   But we need scoring and he contributed to that.  The defensive guys and goaltender are mostly responsible for the defensive side of things...I'd focus there before pinning it on Gaudette.

I'm all for him staying in Utica, however, I feel he's worked hard to earn a spot.  It's just that the logistics might not lend themselves to him actually getting one.  Gotta be a bit deflating when that's the case.

I want offensive guys who hustle, work hard, never say die (even when we're down multiple goals) and can score...the rest can be tweaked.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

Not really interested in giving up a bunch of stuff for risto then have to protect him in the ED at the expense of another good player. 

This is true.  Right now we can protect Myers, Stecher and Juolevi.  Hughes, Woo and Tryamkin are exempt.  If we trade for Risto we'd have to expose Stecher most likely and he would probably get picked up.  I'd rather just go with Tanev the rest of the year and see what happens next year with Tryamkin, Woo and Juolevi.  I'm hoping Tryamkin comes back and takes up Tanev's spot and then we will have two real giants on the back end who can actually play together as needed.  Risto is also a big minus player so I'm not sure he'd fit into Green's system.  

• Upvote 1

I will say on that Kings goal where the whistle obviously should have been blown because there's no chance in hell the ref had sight of the puck...also could have been GI as the player who scored was practically IN the net reaching in to the goalie from behind with his stick.  Not sure that goal should have been.

Gaud was positioned fairly well but focused more on the puck as it appeared to be covered at that point and play probably should have been whistled down.  But he angled the player out of things fairly well...except when he went right into the net during the chaos and scored.  I think the refs blew that one - or..didn't.    Meh w/e.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

When the goaltending is "sketchy", it impacts the rest of the guys and their stats.  Would they even BE goals if the goaltender was on point?

He was giving his all out there and, yes, has to work on that end of things.   But we need scoring and he contributed to that.  The defensive guys and goaltender are mostly responsible for the defensive side of things...I'd focus there before pinning it on Gaudette.

I'm all for him staying in Utica, however, I feel he's worked hard to earn a spot.  It's just that the logistics might not lend themselves to him actually getting one.  Gotta be a bit deflating when that's the case.

I want offensive guys who hustle, work hard, never say die (even when we're down multiple goals) and can score...the rest can be tweaked.

I agree, goaltending was a big part of that, but he still needs a lot of developing, defensively before he's ready to be a legit NHL cman

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

+/- isn't a good indicator of anything. Buffalo has been a terrible team for years. Aside from their win streak last year they haven't been a very productive team.

Rasmus Dahlin was -18 last season as well and he's one of the best young defenders in the game. Put either of them in a different situation and that +/- stat would drastically change.

+/- is a team stat if anything and it hardly gives us a full picture. Hell Edler was -39 one year under torts. It's most likely situational.

Risto has been a minus player his whole career, it's not a situational thing.  424 NHL games played, -143 total, 194 points.  Edler was a -39 under Torts but that was a one year deal, the rest of his career shows differently.  Dahlin was only a -13 last year and played all 82 games on the same team as Risto.  That's a big difference.  Comparing him to the rest of the Buffalo D Bogosian was a -5, McCabe was a -4, Scandella a -13, Montour a -4, Beaulieu a +1, Pilut -8, Nelson +1.  So Dahlin was the second worst at -13 and then you jump to Risto at -41.  That's pretty odd to have someone be so much worse than everyone else.  Was Risto playing 30 minutes a night?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Gaudette has played well and earned a spot on the team IMO.  However we have several players under guaranteed contracts who are waiver eligible and most likely won't pass waivers.  So it is not prudent of the team to waive a guy who will get picked up just to keep Gaudette on the opening night roster as you are losing an asset for nothing.  Gaudette will have plenty of opportunity to play on the big club this year and he can be better evaluated playing 20 minutes a night in Utica playing in all game situations.  And he still needs to improve on his faceoffs and just playing in the centre position.

Eriksson, Schaller, Leivo, Motte and Goldobin right now are the bubble guys.  We need to protect three and the other two need to get waived.  Motte and Leivo can play on the bottom two lines and provide energy and grit so they will most likely stay.  So that leaves Eriksson, Schaller and Goldobin.  If the Canucks want Loui on the team to kill penalties and show him off to possibly move him during the season then I could see them waiving Goldy.  I don't think he has a lot of trade value right now.  Perhaps you try and flip him for a draft pick before opening night.  Schaller I think gets sent down due to the numbers.  And Roussel starts the year on LTIR.  When Roussel comes back another decision will have to be made.  Most likely either Loui gets waived or we have an injury and it doesn't matter.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Hutton looked solid. We might regret that one. 

Hutton knows how to look good and compete for 1 game stints. He did that here when called out by Green. Ben had something to prove against us. Let's see how he does down the stretch here. Maybe the fresh start in a quiet market will help him. We all know how hard this market is to play in.

7 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I am saying the exact opposite. Spots on the Canucks are not necessarily going to be given out to the best players. We have seen this before many times. The GM will take into account other things such as waiver eligibility when deciding who will stay on the team. Gaud probably has earned a spot but it would make sense to waive him anyway to keep another player who would get claimed.

Exactly. There are three perspectives to consider: who are the best players we can put out on the ice (most deserving); who do we have to waive because we will not lose them on waivers; and who should be available for trading to improve our cap problem. Sending folks down only saves $1 million max in cap (give or take). Gaudette will be going to Utica until Sutter is traded (or hurt). We need to trade a few $3 to $6 million players to make future improvements and other teams may not like our leftovers. JV has some trade value but no cap saving value; same with  Goldy. Sutter has trade and cap saving value, LE has no trade value but lots of cap value.

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Risto has been a minus player his whole career, it's not a situational thing.  424 NHL games played, -143 total, 194 points.  Edler was a -39 under Torts but that was a one year deal, the rest of his career shows differently.  Dahlin was only a -13 last year and played all 82 games on the same team as Risto.  That's a big difference.  Comparing him to the rest of the Buffalo D Bogosian was a -5, McCabe was a -4, Scandella a -13, Montour a -4, Beaulieu a +1, Pilut -8, Nelson +1.  So Dahlin was the second worst at -13 and then you jump to Risto at -41.  That's pretty odd to have someone be so much worse than everyone else.  Was Risto playing 30 minutes a night?

He has been on a terrible Buffalo team this entire time. Hardly a reason to hate on him. We won't know how his defensive game would translate outside Buffalo with the right partner. Maybe there is more too it but +/- isn't something to jump too automatically. 

8 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Hutton looked solid. We might regret that one. 

No because we would have had to pay him $4 million.  So much better to release him.  If he shows well this year then he is a UFA and then the market will be open to him next year.  If he really likes Vancouver we can always make him an offer in the summer.  But I doubt that will happen as we have lots of young draft picks that will be looking to make the team next year and Jordie Benn is a better 3rd pairing guy than Hutton.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No because we would have had to pay him $4 million.  So much better to release him.  If he shows well this year then he is a UFA and then the market will be open to him next year.  If he really likes Vancouver we can always make him an offer in the summer.  But I doubt that will happen as we have lots of young draft picks that will be looking to make the team next year and Jordie Benn is a better 3rd pairing guy than Hutton.

We could easily turn around and re-sign him next off-season if we wanted too. I'm sure Hutton would relish the opportunity to come back.