The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks @ Kings - Sep 21st 2019 - 6PM from Salt Lake City Utah

Rate this topic

xereau

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

He has been on a terrible Buffalo team this entire time. Hardly a reason to hate on him. We won't know how his defensive game would translate outside Buffalo with the right partner. Maybe there is more too it but +/- isn't something to jump too automatically. 

I agree he's been on a terrible team his whole career but +/- is a team thing and the rest of the D on Buffalo don't have anywhere near a -41 rating.  So he obviously lacks defensive awareness and just isn't good in his own end.  Tanev is much better defensively, and with Myers around he won't play as much so it's possible he stays healthy all year.  I'd rather just keep Tanev for the year then give up young assets for Risto.  When Tryamkin comes back we will have a true second giant.  Tryakmin makes Risto look like an average sized defenceman.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree he's been on a terrible team his whole career but +/- is a team thing and the rest of the D on Buffalo don't have anywhere near a -41 rating.  So he obviously lacks defensive awareness and just isn't good in his own end.  Tanev is much better defensively, and with Myers around he won't play as much so it's possible he stays healthy all year.  I'd rather just keep Tanev for the year then give up young assets for Risto.  When Tryamkin comes back we will have a true second giant.  Tryakmin makes Risto look like an average sized defenceman.

Do we know who his D partners have been the last few years? has he had a consistent good partner? Buffalo has kinda been like us with ahl'ers on the backend i think lol. I really like how Tanev and Hughes compliment each other so you would have no complaints from me. I am concerned about Risto's size and speed to be honest. Tryamkin could be back at seasons end which could be what the doctor ordered.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's not a top 4 guy and Jordie Benn is a better 3rd pairing guy with Stecher.

Agree. Benn is an established pro who can play physical. Hutton was just like Goldie and Jake.. full of potential but constantly frustrating. I much prefer Benn. 

He is an analytical darling too which helps have confidence in his ability.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, goaltending was a big part of that, but he still needs a lot of developing, defensively before he's ready to be a legit NHL cman

Impossible to play within a defensive structure when the goalie is not making saves he needs to.  I believe all Green learned from this game was those two goalies are no good, and which players hate to lose, even when it’s clear their goalies are giving them no chance. 

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

They had to qualify him around $4m I think, that's why they let him go

It wasn't qualifying him at $4M.  It was that he would earn that much in arbitration because he averaged 20+min. a night, because of all the injuries we had.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

It wasn't qualifying him at $4M.  It was that he would earn that much in arbitration because he averaged 20+min. a night, because of all the injuries we had.

I loved how the LA announcers last night kept talking about Hutton and his 20 + minutes a night hahahahah

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Viper007 said:

We could have still signed Hutton, after we let him go to free agency.  I think JB said he did try to do just that.  Hutton needs to prove to the league he can be more than a fringe NHL player. 

I'm not one, at all, for conspiracy theories, but it almost feels like they're holding Jake back so they can get a cheap contract out of him on his next deal.  Last season, he was on pace for 18 over 82 games, getting almost exclusively dzone starts with linemates who had very limited offensive capability.  He got almost no pp time, no pk time when he has a skill set for both sets of special teams. 

Had he got top 6 mins, with ozone starts and pp time, he likely would have been on a 25ish pace.  He's done pretty much everything they've asked of him, paid his dues and guys like Goldy and Leivo are gifted top 6 mins and pp time while he languishes away in the bottom 6.  

It's probably a rationalization because I like TG, but if Jake busted out, there's another big contract they'd have to fit into an already tight structure.  If they keep him bridled until his next deal, it makes him much more affordable

• Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

I'm not one, at all, for conspiracy theories, but it almost feels like they're holding Jake back so they can get a cheap contract out of him on his next deal.  Last season, he was on pace for 18 over 82 games, getting almost exclusively dzone starts with linemates who had very limited offensive capability.  He got almost no pp time, no pk time when he has a skill set for both sets of special teams. 

Had he got top 6 mins, with ozone starts and pp time, he likely would have been on a 25ish pace.  He's done pretty much everything they've asked of him, paid his dues and guys like Goldy and Leivo are gifted top 6 mins and pp time while he languishes away in the bottom 6.  

It's probably a rationalization because I like TG, but if Jake busted out, there's another big contract they'd have to fit into an already tight structure.  If they keep him bridled until his next deal, it makes him much more affordable

They did it with Brock last year. Kept him with Horvat to start the season so he wouldn't blow up on Petey's wing. I wouldn't think they would do that to Jake this long tho. His agent will probably just ask for a bridge anyways lol. COuld be tho. I think Green needs to show more love to Jake and really give him positive encourage/lots of guidance on the bench. really get in his ear. tell him to run people over when the team needs energy.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Hutty was playing for pride and had something to prove last night against the team that let him go.  I'm happy for him and hope he does well...just not against us.  :)

Absolutely Deb.  Hutton loved it here.  The unfortunate part of sports is Benning made a mistake when he signed Ben for the amount he did on his first contract.  It made Benning look for other options.  I really hope he makes it in LA.  He is a great guy.

This has turned more into another Training Camp thread than a GDT

So I will take my thought to the appropriate thread (First for everything! LOL)

Gaudette had a good game...…..I thought his negatives would have been covered up with NHL goaltending and a defenseman in position on the 2 and one

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nuck-lifer said:

If all players remain healthy and no trades exist the bottom 6 should play out something like this

Eriksson, Sutter, Pearson, Beagle, with Leivo , JV , and Motte fighting for the 2 remaining spots

Eriksson, Pearson and Sutter have been the top 3 of this bunch IMO  , but all have had their good games so far

Gaudette gets sent down as a first call up because he should be in the lineup

Schaller waived and no one will pick him up

Goldy waived or traded (likely waived) with a 50% chance or so of getting claimed when he's included with everyone else on waiver day .  Unless he has a couple of stand out games his future is definitely in jeopardy.

- if we lose him c'est la vie as he could still be 2nd or 3rd as a call up if he doesn't get claimed 

As per usual we keep 2 extra D's in Fantenburg and Biega, 

Yep.  At this point with playoffs the goal- we will play the best guys we  have that will help us win based on how they are playing now - not what you hope they will do - those days are gone (Goldy getting first line minutes and Leivo first line PP time) as soon as they stop producing they are out.  The only way onto the team and to keep your spot is to prove your value.  At this point even JVs job is in jeopardy - if he wasn’t a top six pick or even a first rounder no way in hell would he have had this much freedom and chances to show his worth.  

Yeah I’ve heard the story - power forwards take more time  - well I hate to break it to anyone but Motte plays with more power in his game - same with  Beiga (they had to scratch and claw for everything so no surprise there).  I’m not convinced at all that Leivo has earned the chances he’s had either - lukewarm on him at best - as a 13th forward AG is a better choice, if he keeps it up a more permanent spot.   Don’t buy that he will take LEs spot on the PK though, not this year at least.  

With some foresight it’s easy to so that what we have right now isn’t going to be close to what the next core has to offer.  LE, Bear, Pearson, Rousell, Leivo, Goldobin, Beagle, Motte and probably JV won’t be on the team when we peak. Reminds me a little of when Luongo first arrived (EP is Luongo in this scenario) or way back in the late eighties very early nineties before Bure came - a lot of change is in our future but what we have right now is still capable of some damage.  Won’t lose any sleep over losing Goldy or JV in a trade considering what’s coming over the next few years that’s for sure. 

Im sure TG is happier then he’s been since he started, a lot of middle six bottom six forwards to choose from, the best goaltending situation, and four  guys that could possibly turn into blue chip stars, plus some blue chip vets in  Miller, Myers, Ferland and Benn all improvements on his first years.   He’s not losing sleep over Goldy getting picked up on waivers or LE proving his worth.   

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

They did it with Brock last year. Kept him with Horvat to start the season so he wouldn't blow up on Petey's wing. I wouldn't think they would do that to Jake this long tho. His agent will probably just ask for a bridge anyways lol. COuld be tho. I think Green needs to show more love to Jake and really give him positive encourage/lots of guidance on the bench. really get in his ear. tell him to run people over when the team needs energy.

I think it is understood that TG has spent quite a bit of time with Jake and invested a lot - on and off the ice.  They have known each since Utica and I think TG understands what Jake needs to stay motivated.  Motivation appears to be the issue - from training, to consistency to playing a specific way - TG has taken Jake on as a project. 

I think he really likes Jake, sees how special he could be and wants him to succeed.  But sometimes it takes some tough love.  I trust what TG is doing and I fear if Jake doesn't respond soon he will not be here if and when he does get it.

Just now, Borvat said:

I think it is understood that TG has spent quite a bit of time with Jake and invested a lot - on and off the ice.  They have known each since Utica and I think TG understands what Jake needs to stay motivated.  Motivation appears to be the issue - from training, to consistency to playing a specific way - TG has taken Jake on as a project. 

I think he really likes Jake, sees how special he could be and wants him to succeed.  But sometimes it takes some tough love.  I trust what TG is doing and I fear if Jake doesn't respond soon he will not be here if and when he does get it.

Maybe we all just need to lower our expectations for Jake. I'm half joking, half serious.

He is extremely frustrating to watch - maybe just lower expectations might ease the process. You just see his speed, size, and shot.. its hard not to think he could be so much better if he just gave it