The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks @ Kings - Sep 21st 2019 - 6PM from Salt Lake City Utah

Rate this topic

xereau

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

All with Pettersson. Goldobin can't even produce with anyone not named Elias Pettersson. If Goldie can't produce without a world class talent then what the hell use is he for us? He is due for an extension next summer I believe.. Why would we let him play with pettersson rack up 50 pts then re-sign him if he can only play with 1 player in the lineup. If Pettersson got hurt then Goldobin's production would completely fall out.  On the other hand tho... maybe an extended look with Petey might give goldobin the confidence he needs to become a more versatile player. 

well goldobin  can be traded if he plays well with petey bump up his value

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

well goldobin  can be traded if he plays well with petey bump up his value

He could be. I don't see scouts haven't seen what we have seen tho. Any competent org will see it. Some may gamble on him tho if they are in need of help. 

He reminds of me Ty Rattie from last year. Plays great with McDavid.

Edited by Rush17

4 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

goldobin had better stats than louie in lesser games last yr so i  disagree. especially at his 900k cap hit compared to 6 mill

22 years old vs. 34 years old...

Skill vs. Slowing mind

....I could go on, but losing Goldy for nothing is going to hurt more than most of the rest of the guys we just keep losing year after year...McCann scored a beauty recently...at least he wasn't quite for nothing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I think it is understood that TG has spent quite a bit of time with Jake and invested a lot - on and off the ice.  They have known each since Utica and I think TG understands what Jake needs to stay motivated.  Motivation appears to be the issue - from training, to consistency to playing a specific way - TG has taken Jake on as a project. 

I think he really likes Jake, sees how special he could be and wants him to succeed.  But sometimes it takes some tough love.  I trust what TG is doing and I fear if Jake doesn't respond soon he will not be here if and when he does get it.

Analogy...Jake's a black lab compared to EP40 who is a border collie or blue healer....Jake waits for instruction and needs someone to tell him compared to EP40 just knows what to do because he has been trained well.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I think lowering expectations is dangerous especially with a young player who hasn't peaked - hopefully. I believe TG is telling him what he needs to do to be the best he can be and he isn't there yet.  I expect Jake to be a mid six winger who plays hard consistently, with a physical edge, who is defensively responsible and is willing to go to the net/tough places - 15 - 20 goals and 30 - 40 points.  I don't think that is unreasonable.

Its only unreasonable based on where he was drafted. Podz may make him redundant.

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If we waive Schaller and Goldy we will be cap compliant by around $250,000.  So we don't have to use Roussel's LTIR money.  This is good news as it will allow us more flexibility during the season for callups.

Once we get down to the required 23 man roster we'll be cap compliant without LTIR regardless. It doesn't matter who we waive.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Analogy...Jake's a black lab compared to EP40 who is a border collie or blue healer....Jake waits for instruction and needs someone to tell him compared to EP40 just knows what to do because he has been trained well.

Maybe Jake is more of a pug?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

Eriksson has an added value of being able to waive him (paper him down) to Utica to open up a spot on the crowded roster. No one will pick him up.

We could paper him down as many times as we need to.

His huge contract scares other teams away. He's like a free waiver.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bell said:

Absolutely Deb.  Hutton loved it here.  The unfortunate part of sports is Benning made a mistake when he signed Ben for the amount he did on his first contract.  It made Benning look for other options.  I really hope he makes it in LA.  He is a great guy.

Ben Hutton was not a long term player for this team and there was something off putting about his personality and I'm betting that played a part in the decision.  He clearly was not part of the core group of guys

38 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Eriksson has an added value of being able to waive him (paper him down) to Utica to open up a spot on the crowded roster. No one will pick him up.

We could paper him down as many times as we need to.

His huge contract scares other teams away. He's like a free waiver.

That's true, for sure

• Upvote 1

Saw this today: 

2) Travis Green did not mince words in his post-game address to the media. When asked about Adam Gaudette's eventful first period which included a power play goal to get the Canucks on the board but saw the young forward on the ice for all five goals scored in the opening frame, Green said "What I like about Adam is that he's trying to make the team. Other guys should take notice. There's a lot of competition for spots and time is running out, so guys need to make sure they play well next week.' That seems like a quote aimed directly at Nikolay Goldobin, but could also apply to Jake Virtanen. Goldobin has been nearly invisible in his preseason appearances while Virtanten opened strong in Calgary last Monday, but has had a couple of quiet outings since. He did manage a second assist on Gaudette's second goal of the game with 53 seconds remaining. But second assists in mop-up time won't get a player noticed. Gaudette has scored in back to back games and now leads the Canucks with three goals in the preseason. He also finished up a stretch of four games in the first six nights of exhibition action -- no other Canuck has played more than three games.

Interesting highlighted parts. I didn't realize Gaudette was on the ice for the first 5 against lol. (From tsn / Jeff Paterson)

Edited by Rush17