The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Disturbing Lack Of Under 21's In The Development System

ItTakesAnArmy

5 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

You mean NOT in the system yet. Learning the system that the Canucks play now.

So essentially the team has 8 "prospects" learning 8 different systems.

This does not address why are LA's prospects considered so much better and why their system putting so much more into the their team?

So far, Utica has produced ? players for the team, 3 over 6 years?

Ya it sucks JB drafted players from the NCAA and SEL that jumped right into the NHL, you rather they get some grooming in Utica I see?  What about Demko didn't he come from Utica? Gaudette spent some time in Utica?  I don't get your point, unhappy , not satisfied, what is it?

• Upvote 1

Ok we got some luck with our drafting but we could of had JACK HUGHES  or MATHEWS OR MCDAVID OR EVEN according to the internet our very first NUMBER 1 OA pick in FIFTY years in some of those other drafts.

I'm just saying we could have our FIRST OVERALL DRAFT would be a  good start to the rebuild,nothing of course is guaranteed but still a first OA  would be kind of great

• Wat 1

19 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think he'll be a fine player.

The point is that most of our high end prospects have already graduated, or are playing elsewear. The idea that there's a "disturbing lack of under 21s" in our system is laughable, considering that most CHL players arent eligible for the AHL until they're around 20, and most of our high European/Russian prospects are in better leagues than the AHL anyways. And then there's college players as well, who normally stay in college for a few years after being drafted.

This thread is incredibly disingenuous. 

Agreed, except Vilardi is a bustaroo.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, DADDYROCK said:

Ok we got some luck with our drafting but we could of had JACK HUGHES  or MATHEWS OR MCDAVID OR EVEN according to the internet our very first NUMBER 1 OA pick in FIFTY years in some of those other drafts.

I'm just saying we could have our FIRST OVERALL DRAFT would be a  good start to the rebuild,nothing of course is guaranteed but still a first OA  would be kind of great

Is McDavid worth 12.5 on the cap?  Bess and Bo cost less! 

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

They have guys like Vilardi and Clague who can’t crack the nhl yet, we have Pettersson and Hughes who can 

yes- if your prospects stay prospects you accumulate more prospects...funny how that works- genius.

look at the U-24 roster and tell me who is ahead in the rebuild.

Even though The Evil One (Betman) screwed us at the lottery, how lucky are we to get Pettersson, Hughes, and then Podz?  It’s like we actually won the lottery!  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

The prospect pool is very specific and situational.  

If EP and Hughes was playing in the Utica, the Canucks would be ranked #1.  

They're on the big squad and thus they don't count towards the prospect pool list.  

The list is kind of meaningless. 

Always being low can be interpreted as:

1) inability to find good prospects to stock the system

2) constantly streamlining players into the NHL, thus they never stay long in the system to be counted

Being higher up on the list can also mean:

1) team always finding lots good prospects

2) team sucks as transitioning players into the NHL.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I was listening tot he game on Center Ice and the commentators were saying the LA has the #2 ranked prospect pool in the league.

I was curious as to how this could happen as they have consistently finished ahead of the Canucks and picked later.

The Canucks have had 7 drafts with Benning and have less than half the prospects in the system that LA does.

At this time CapFriendly is showing only 8 Canuck draft picks out of 19 skaters and only one 18 or 19 year old on the Utica roster.

LA is showing more than 14 draft picks in the minors and 9 under 20, if under 21 is counted then there are 13 of those. That is quite a difference.

The other item is that there are a lot more undrafted players on the Canuck Utica roster and considering how poorly the Utica team did last year maybe that is one reason the team is suffering, a lower quality of skill in the system.

Take away Woo, DiPietro and Gaudette and there is nothing really standing out, at least not a draft pick.

Maybe that is another reason for poor performance, all these prospects are being taught different systems. It is when a player acts instead of thinking he starts performing better and this comes from playing the same way over and over again.

Why are there not more draft picks in the system?

You kind of remind me of that guy that got banded from here? Who was that again? Hmmmm?

8 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

I was listening tot he game on Center Ice and the commentators were saying the LA has the #2 ranked prospect pool in the league.

I was curious as to how this could happen as they have consistently finished ahead of the Canucks and picked later.

The Canucks have had 7 drafts with Benning and have less than half the prospects in the system that LA does.

At this time CapFriendly is showing only 8 Canuck draft picks out of 19 skaters and only one 18 or 19 year old on the Utica roster.

LA is showing more than 14 draft picks in the minors and 9 under 20, if under 21 is counted then there are 13 of those. That is quite a difference.

The other item is that there are a lot more undrafted players on the Canuck Utica roster and considering how poorly the Utica team did last year maybe that is one reason the team is suffering, a lower quality of skill in the system.

Take away Woo, DiPietro and Gaudette and there is nothing really standing out, at least not a draft pick.

Maybe that is another reason for poor performance, all these prospects are being taught different systems. It is when a player acts instead of thinking he starts performing better and this comes from playing the same way over and over again.

star wars lack of faith GIF

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That article literally says we have one of the top prospects pool in the entire NHL.  SO not sure what the OP is harping about...

Despite the graduation of Elias Pettersson, the Vancouver Canucks have one of the best prospect pools in the league. Padded by a solid draft, the Canucks could very well be on the verge of something great. And it is going to be fun to watch.

Quinn Hughes is arguably the best defensive prospect in the NHL (we’ll get to his main challenger shortly). He displayed his elite skill at the end of the season, exciting British Columbia in the process. He’s an elite skater who is an offensive threat with his creativity, shot, and ability to pass.

Hughes is the obvious top prospect right now, but forward Vasili Podkolzin might be right there with him. He has two years left in Russia, but the prospect has elite talent in his game. He’ll run you over and score while doing it.

Taking an article where JB looks great to try and make JB look terrible... that’s a bold strategy, Cotton...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

^^^^this is hands down the worst analysis of the Canucks' prospects that I have EVER read in the ten+ years that I have been sniffing around CDC.  OP showing complete lack of analytical capabilities resulting in what amounts to some seriously questionable conclusions.  There's being a contrarian, and then there's being clueless.  Gonna guess that analytical thinking is not one of OP's strengths.  Epic failure.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

If proof is in the pudding, well this team has not been out performing too many other teams and the only consistency is not something to be awarded.

Vancouver fans are great, so apologetic and accepting.

Is there not concern that the team NEEDS to trade away draft picks for support players, 2nds, 3rds and now a first overall?

What happens IF this team doesn't perform well, where will the players come from that it might need? How long?

As far as age goes, there are many teams the Canucks are looking up to that have more youth already as key players, the Canucks have 2 maybe 3 out of 6 drafts?

This is only a preseason thread to chat about but if the team feels desperation then who or how many draft picks get dealt, there just is not much depth in Utica.

can you enlighten us as to when or who we traded a first overall for?

Edited by Nucksfollower1983
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

You mean NOT in the system yet. Learning the system that the Canucks play now.

So essentially the team has 8 "prospects" learning 8 different systems.

This does not address why are LA's prospects considered so much better and why their system putting so much more into the their team?

So far, Utica has produced ? players for the team, 3 over 6 years?

It is answered by the fact that last year's rookie of the year and the previous year's runner up are already on the team - and one of this year's premier candidates - Hughes - is already on the team. LA has nothing comparable.