The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: Who stays and who goes?

1 minute ago, gameburn said:

Age matters.  Sports is cruel that way.  If LE were 23, he'd be an upgrade on the Granlund, all around type.  But with the new emphasis on speed and a sort of shared play style, he doesn't fit anymore.  I keep remembering how Carolina absolutely schooled us last year.  Team speed and a consistency: they might have been the best team we saw last year.  I think the Canucks want a team that is more like that.

Agree all around but mostly I think his attitude is just bad for the team, he needs to be gone

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Agree all around but mostly I think his attitude is just bad for the team, he needs to be gone

I feel sorry for him in a way.  Not about the money, of course lol.  His comments in the summer were incredible: gave the impression he needed more chances to succeed, better linemates? (He ain't Laine.)  Problems with the coach?  If he carried that attitude into camp -- or had it last year -- no way he plays here this year.  He was actually in the pressbox at one point last year... 

I don't envy the decisions they have to make.

1. Horvat and Miller look really good together.  Baertschi won't hurt them either.

2. Pettersson and Boeser are looking good, of course, Boeser especially.  Pettersson is pacing himself.  No idea who should play with them, does it matter?

3. Sutter and Virtanen actually look pretty good together, which surprises me.  

4. 4th line needs two guys who can take faceoffs (new faceoff rules) so... Beagle and almost certainly Gaudette fits in here.  

To me, it looks like they have four lines with purpose.  Pearson and Ferland will be added to this mix of course. (Which would make 11 forwards.) 

With Leivo and Motte to add, I'm not sure where Goldobin and Eriksson fit in.  I suppose Leivo could be sent to Utica? And Motte too?  I don't know, I like Motte killing penalties more than Eriksson.

I wouldn't have said this 2 weeks ago, but I think there's a good chance that Gaudette makes this team.  And Beagle looks like the ideal linemate and mentor for him. 

Edited by gameburn
  • Upvote 2

Feels healthy and all round good to be able to have this discussion.

Of course, it's up to Travis and whoever else makes such decisions, though. 

There will be those of us who will be happy no matter what they decide and there will be those who will not be happy.

But if we're guessing. I'm going to guess the guys who have been performing in the preseason like they want a job get to stay with the possible exception of Gaudette because he can slip through waivers. So he's the most likely to go to Utica - unless he just  can't stop scoring. Then what do you do? Aren't you allowed to keep somebody like that around for 9 games in the regular season before you have to decide if you want to send him down? Seems to me I heard something like that somewhere.

After AG though, I'll guess Goldy and, or Biega are the most likely to, hopefully, be pushed through waivers.  

But I don't even have a guess as to where a trade might be lurking. Wouldn't be surprised if there was one though.

Edited by John_Guest

2 hours ago, gameburn said:

4. 4th line needs two guys who can take faceoffs (new faceoff rules) so... Beagle and almost certainly Gaudette fits in here.  

I'm almost certain I heard Travis Green praising the  Beagle, Tim Schaller and Tyler Motte line he had for the Edmonton game.

On 9/22/2019 at 11:38 AM, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Goldy is not making the roster based on his preseason so you lose him on waivers or try a trade.

He played one game and stopped a 2 on 0, pretty hard to say he was bad this preseason when even announcers were commenting on his solid defensive plays in both ends.

Gaudette, Baertschi, Goldobin, Virtanen, Eriksson, and Sutter:  .   Trade Goldobin.

As of this writing, this is how I would handle things:   (Keep in mind, I haven’t checked the cap and so I don’t know if these moves of mine would help us be cap compliant).

Gaudette = send to the AHL + give him top 6 minutes + call him up to the NHL and make him the 2nd line C if there are injuries to Petey or Boho.   Although Gaudette has done enough to make the team, his lack of faceoff skills and defensive play doesn’t make him an ideal candidate for the 3rd line C.   The coaches need to make it clear to Gaudette that they want to give him lots of ice-time down in Utica because they are grooming him to be a Top 6 Center.   That way, Gaudette’s motivation will remain high when he gets sent down.   

Baertschi - Keep.   Rotate him and Pearson with Horvat until one guy shows better chemistry.  The other guy plays with Sutter.  Either way, the Canucks will have more guys that can play on the top 6 if need be.

Goldobin:  trade for a low-end pick to clear cap space.

Eriksson:   I was originally in favor of sending Eriksson down, but he’s looked pretty good in pre-season.  Eriksson might be grossly overpaid, but he’s still one of our best defensive players and meshes well with Sutter.    Eriksson has never been a driver of play, but has the ability to play well with better linemates.  With Eriksson’s career on the line, I  can see Eriksson putting forth much stronger efforts this year (I sense the same with Schaller).

Sutter:   Keep until Gaudette grows his game even further in Utica and shows a stronger ability to play defensively and win face-offs.

Virtanen:   This should serve as a stern wake up call to JV.   Either work hard and beat someone off the roster, or you’re done.  When inevitable injuries occur, get in there and make a difference.   The Canucks are clearly serious about setting a culture of accountability here.  Hence, why “easy going party boy Hutton” wasn’t qualified.   

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Miller

Pearson-Sutter-Eriksson

Schaller-Beagle-Motte

Virtanen

When Roussel comes back, Schaller, Virtanen, or Baertschi can be moved.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

This is what I would do, but i'm no expert so....

Trade Beagle for a 5th or 6th round pick to any team looking for bottom 6 center depth. Move Sutter down to the 4th line.

Trade Schaller for a 7th to whoever wants him

Goldobin down to the minors. Let him get some decent minutes, develop some confidence and further develop his game away from the puck. He does seem to have a better work ethic this year and has shown some flashes of a NHL caliber mainstay. Hopefully he can crack the lineup later this year.

We save just over 7million in cap space with these moves.

I just don't see how Baertschi loses his spot with Horvat. He is healthy, has been decent in pre-season and thinks the game better than anyone outside Pettersson, and Horvat in our forward group. He has been on pace for 40-50 points for the last 3 seasons. He just needs to stay healthy.

When Roussel returns, I put him with Gaudette and Virtanen and move Pearson to another team. Pearson just hasn't looked good. Playing disinterested and too casual for my tastes. We have time to see how Pearson does and if in the next 12-18 games he isn't showing anything, then time to move on and have Roussel slot into the 3rd line.

Ferland Pettersson Boeser

Baertschi Horvat Miller

Roussel/Pearson Gaudette Virtanen

Eriksson Sutter Leivo

On 9/22/2019 at 9:24 PM, Sbriggs said:

I think if Tanev has a good season without injuries he's moved at TDL because OJ will be ready by then. Love Tanev and what he's done for our team but his time is up for him and we need to move on and get younger and more durable

Didn't OJ get sent down fairly quick ?

16 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Gaudette, Baertschi, Goldobin, Virtanen, Eriksson, and Sutter:  .   Trade Goldobin.

As of this writing, this is how I would handle things:   (Keep in mind, I haven’t checked the cap and so I don’t know if these moves of mine would help us be cap compliant).

Gaudette = send to the AHL + give him top 6 minutes + call him up to the NHL and make him the 2nd line C if there are injuries to Petey or Boho.   Although Gaudette has done enough to make the team, his lack of faceoff skills and defensive play doesn’t make him an ideal candidate for the 3rd line C.   The coaches need to make it clear to Gaudette that they want to give him lots of ice-time down in Utica because they are grooming him to be a Top 6 Center.   That way, Gaudette’s motivation will remain high when he gets sent down.   

Baertschi - Keep.   Rotate him and Pearson with Horvat until one guy shows better chemistry.  The other guy plays with Sutter.  Either way, the Canucks will have more guys that can play on the top 6 if need be.

Goldobin:  trade for a low-end pick to clear cap space.

Eriksson:   I was originally in favor of sending Eriksson down, but he’s looked pretty good in pre-season.  Eriksson might be grossly overpaid, but he’s still one of our best defensive players and meshes well with Sutter.    Eriksson has never been a driver of play, but has the ability to play well with better linemates.  With Eriksson’s career on the line, I  can see Eriksson putting forth much stronger efforts this year (I sense the same with Schaller).

Sutter:   Keep until Gaudette grows his game even further in Utica and shows a stronger ability to play defensively and win face-offs.

Virtanen:   This should serve as a stern wake up call to JV.   Either work hard and beat someone off the roster, or you’re done.  When inevitable injuries occur, get in there and make a difference.   The Canucks are clearly serious about setting a culture of accountability here.  Hence, why “easy going party boy Hutton” wasn’t qualified.   

Baertschi-Horvat-Miller

Pearson-Sutter-Eriksson

Schaller-Beagle-Motte

Virtanen

When Roussel comes back, Schaller, Virtanen, or Baertschi can be moved.

I’ve changed my mind about Gaudette.   He has done everything in his power to prove that he belongs here, and his efforts deserve to be rewarded.

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Baertschi-Gaudette-Sutter

Schaller-Beagle-Motte

Leivo

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Fantenberg

Markstrom

Demko

Eriksson, Virtanen, and Goldobin get the ol’ heave ho.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

He did, but he was destined to go to Utica, that was the plan last season and that is the plan this season so how quickly he was sent down I think is irrelevant

This is correct.

That, and also the fact that the Canucks are taking precautionary measures with OJ (he felt some knee pain after the bag skate).

• Upvote 1

The Gaudette situation could get ugly if he doesn’t make the team.  

Gaudette has some holes in his game, but he’s done pretty much everything that has been asked of him.

-Full effort at all times

-Has played almost every game

-Has produced

-Developed chemistry with Baertschi

Sending Gaudette down would be an injustice at this point.

Having said all that, is Gaudette an upgrade over Brandon Sutter at this stage?   I’m not so sure.    Also - Gaudette’s face-off ability still needs a lot of work.   Is this the type of guy that you want on your 3rd line Center?

I’m not exactly sure how things are going to play out, but I can’t see either of Gaudette or Sutter being sent to the AHL or traded.  Sutter needs to be kept just Incase Gaudette’s growing pains are too much, while Gaudette needs to be here based on merit.  I think it would send a terrible message to both Gaudette and the boys if Gaudette doesn’t make the team at this point.......especially if someone like Virtanen is.

I think Baertschi-Gaudette-Sutter is going to be a line.

Baertschi and Gaudette have developed good on-ice chemistry, while Sutter can serve as an on-ice mentor and defensive conscience for Gaudette.

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Baertechi-Gaudette-Sutter

???-Beagle-???

The question now is who gets those last two spots?    A few weeks ago, Eriksson wouldn’t have been a competitive candidate, but he’s had a solid camp and deserves to be here based on merit.

While Motte has given his all and has worked hard, I’m just not sure if the talent level is there to justify him occupying a roster spot at this point.  Ditto for Schaller.     Goldobin fits into the same category in my opinion.   The effort is there, but I don’t think he’s good enough to occupy a top 6 position.  Goldobin isn’t the type of guy that you want on your bottom 6, while Motte and Schaller aren’t the type of guys that you’d want on your top 6.  Due to this inflexibility, I think all three of these guys need to go to clear cap space.

That leaves Leivo and Virtanen.   Leivo is a decent bottom 6 guy that wouldn’t look horrible out of place on a second line (like Motte and Schaller would), while also having a solid work ethic.  Leivo makes my team.

While Virtanen hasn’t had the greatest camp and hasn’t had the greatest work ethic, You simply can’t deny his talent.  He’s still young enough to figure it out.  Moving Virtanen would be foolish at this point because not only would the ROI be low, but you also risk seeing him flourish elsewhere.   Keep him on the team, but humble him.  Start him as the 13th forward and let it be known that if he doesn’t take advantage of his opportunity when the inevitable injury occurs, he will be moved when Roussel returns. 

The action plan of the Hindustan

1) Have the following lines on opening night

Pearson-Horvat-Miller

Baertschi-Gaudette-Leivo (or Sutter)

Eriksson-Beagle-Sutter (or Leivo)

Virtanen

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Stecher

Brisebois (or Taves)

Markstrom

Demko

2) Trade Goldobin and Schaller to clear cap space (2.8 million?).

3) Motte to Utica.  Called up when necessary (if he’s subject to waivers however, then try and move him).

4) When Roussel returns, one of Leivo, Sutter, or Virtanen gets moved (Gaudette’s development would also obviously be used to determine if Sutter can be moved).

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

4 minutes ago, WestCoastDave said:

What about Goldy for Ho Sang?  They were both drafted back to back in the same year and a change of scenery might help them. 

Has Ho Sang cleated waivers yet?  I think both players would need to clear before any trade.  

I would sit tight for now, we need the depth. What I'd like to do:

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Miller - Horvat - Baertschi

Pearson - Sutter - Leivo

Gaudette - Beagle - Virtanen

Schaller/Motte/Eriksson/Goldobin (send LE and Schaller or Motte down to Utica).

However I think they'll dress Eriksson on the 3rd line and probably lose Goldy or someone on waivers.