The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks Vs Senators | 7pm | Stream on Canucks.com

Rate this topic

taskicon

2 hours ago, Viper007 said:

If anybody is gonna play the entire PP, shouldn't it be EP?

Maybe - but Horvats a horse and wouldn’t want to do a Torts to such a young kid.   The point is Leivo shouldn’t be on the number one PP over a guy like Horvat or J.T. Miller - and if balancing the talent out is that important I’d consider playing Horvat on the second line too before I’d send out Leivo.   He’s TG Megna - and the clock must be ticking on whether he’s a top nine player or simply a good depth guy.   

52 minutes ago, BrockBoester said:

I seriously don't get how you can rag on Boeser for being "one-dimensional" and then you're out here white knighting for Jake Virtanen.

I mean I like both players and what they bring to the team but come on.

Agree to disagree, I guess. :emot-parrot:

The only reason I "ragged" on Boeser was salary related.  Nothing more, nothing less.  JB obviously thought the same way I did 

Edited by stawns

4 hours ago, SergioMomesso said:

BB6 needs to work on his positioning when he unloads his one-timers. Stop fading so far back on his backswing will not let the goalie set properly. Or stop the puck an use your best weapon, which is his wrister. 

It's something he'll improve on over time. He's not going to be at Ovechkin's level, but it's definitely something he can improve on. That said I think his wrister is deadlier than his one timer.

3 hours ago, mll said:

Leivo had 1 power play goal (4pts) in close to 130 minutes of powerplay time last season.   Miller is a better scoring option.

Can you send me the link to where you were able to determine this? I'd like to find some advanced stats of my own regarding the PP with Leivo on it.

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Leivo has not displaced Horvats value on the PP - no matter what side he shoots from.  Horvat should be there to take the draws and cause havoc infront of the net.   I get that balancing out the two units has some merit too.  Play him the entire time then - some teams do this.  

That does matter. It matters immensely. If Horvat is replacing anyone, he should replace Miller/Ferland. Having a right shot in the high slot gives Petey 2 options for the one timer, right shot in the middle and Boeser on the left wing. That means PKers have to cheat more towards the player in the high slot because they're in a more dangerous area, and that happens to be Leivo - for good reason, he's a got a heavy, accurate wrister posing a legitimate threat. Plus he's very good at deflecting pucks. This leaves Boeser with more space to find some open ice and Petey can get him the puck. I wouldn't mind having Horvat on the first unit screening the goalie and tipping in pucks, but to me Miller/Ferland do a good enough job, and that frees up Horvat to drive the offense on the second unit. If we move him off the second unit, we don't really have anyone driving the bus there. It's a really good strategy IMO.

And you can't play Horvat the entire time on the PP because he's already getting 20+ mins a night, he's already overplayed imo so that just puts him on an express train to LTIR-ville.

• Upvote 1

That power play last night was deadly and a tasty dish (to quote Sid) however if  we keep allowing our stars to get hit like Brock did. I don’t see it looking that hot while our stars are being out with injuries. We got bigger in the off season, let’s start acting like it and give the dirty to them rather then being the receiver. Hope Brock is alright. I will be attending tomorrow’s game and if Chris Tierney is playing I hope to see some response from our team as blindsiding our stars is NO-K.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rush17 said:

The only thing Jake Virtanen will only go toe to toe with is a hotdog. :lol:

You know the hot dog stand joke? Anyways I'm kidding but if your expecting Jake to drop the gloves I think you're going to be sadly mistaken.

Key word being "expect".  I don't expect players to fight for 99 percent of what fans piss and moan about.  Either in the heat of battle or for dirty plays, the latter often over exaggerated 

On 9/24/2019 at 3:10 PM, BrockBoester said:

I seriously don't get how you can rag on Boeser for being "one-dimensional" and then you're out here white knighting for Jake Virtanen.

I mean I like both players and what they bring to the team but come on.

Agree to disagree, I guess. :emot-parrot:

I don't know where this myth that Boeser is a one way player came from. Travis Green doesn't let one way players play.

Edited by 5Fivehole0