The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 30 players - Sept. 23, 2019

How TF do people have time to watch enough Charlotte Checkers games to know that McKeown is an upgrade on Biega? I mean, at the same age, in the AHL, Biega's numbers were just as good. The only difference is that Biega has proven he can be a depth defenceman. McKeown has played 10 NHL games. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

How TF do people have time to watch enough Charlotte Checkers games to know that McKeown is an upgrade on Biega? I mean, at the same age, in the AHL, Biega's numbers were just as good. The only difference is that Biega has proven he can be a depth defenceman. McKeown has played 10 NHL games. 

The only reason I mentioned it was he is 8 years younger than Biega. Biega likely clears, he has before for us who wants a 31 yr old fringe at best nhl D who is considered undersized.

I like Biega, he has carved out a nice pro hockey career but if he couldn't crack our depleted D core for the last few years on a nightly basis he ain't a everyday NHL D

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

The only reason I mentioned it was he is 8 years younger than Biega. Biega likely clears, he has before for us who wants a 31 yr old fringe at best nhl D who is considered undersized.

I like Biega, he has carved out a nice pro hockey career but if he couldn't crack our depleted D core for the last few years on a nightly basis he ain't a everyday NHL D

The point of Biega is that he's a great 7/8 dman that shows up for practices and is ready to step in a give his all in a moment's notice. He doesn't complain about his situation because he's glad he's simply collecting an NHL paycheck and not bouncing around the league.

Can't say the same for McKeown just yet. He needs the minutes to continue to develop rather than be a pressbox guy. Just cause he's younger doesn't mean he's going to be more useful. Perhaps we should've kept Pouliot instead of Biega because he's younger too?

Biega likely would clear, but that doesn't make him not valuable to us. Biega also adds RD depth while McKeown just adds to the log jam on the left side and I rather give our own "homegrown" talent a shot. They are as likely to succeed as McKeown at this point. McKeown is redundant and would be a waste of a NHL roster spot at this point (which Carolina would seem to agree).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

If he wasn't associated with the Vey trade, no one would even know who he is. But because he was the pick we gave up, people want him because he's supposedly the proof that keeping our picks was more valuable.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

No love for Markus Hannikainen?!

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Lots of decent depth dmen. If they all clear, most likely Biega clears.

Frk might be close to Goldy, so if he clears, likely Goldy would as well.

Hannikainen is a decent 4th liner. I think if he clears, Leivo has a decent chance of clearing, but Leivo is a step above. Schaller should clear though.

Of course it's all about timing because if a team gets an unfortunate injury or what not, then suddenly a waiver pick up could become more valuable.

Only name I would kick the tires on there if we needed the depth (which we don't at this point) is Claesson or Hannikainen.

^_^

15 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Doesn't everyone watch Charlotte Checkers games?  I think I've already watched them twice this year.  McKeown is a stud, too bad the GM's haven't figured it out yet...  ^_^