The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Sens @ Nucks Sept 25 2019 - 2 minutes for cross checking edition -

Rate this topic

xereau

Just now, Sikhguy23 said:

Jake really needs to show up today. Make some big hits, engage in some scrums, show the team you Care. I’m not expecting him to be a top 6 player anymore, but if he gets his head straight he can be a damn good third liner. Dude needs to show some emotion when he’s out there, ala Sam Bennett 

he already is a damn good 3rd liner.  had he stayed healthy he would have hit 20 goals playing with defensive players, getting overwhelmingly defensive zone starts and no pp time.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

I'm actually sick to my stomach with Greens attitude towards our players getting attacked.  The day Hughes got the high stick....the following period

the same guy that knocked his teeth out gave him a two handed slash to the back of the leg and no one did anything.

We will never get anywhere without any push back.  Listen to your fans Travis...protect your stars.

do you honestly believe TG gives a rats ass what fans think?  His job is to win games and you don't win sitting in the penalty box........I guarantee you that's how he thinks

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I still can't believe Green called that a hockey play. Maybe he doesn't want to come across as a whiner to the NHL, but at least back your star players

How will the Canucks respond? 

What's he gonna do, blow up in the media, giving them many weeks of stuff to beat into the ground?

Nah. He's gonna say as little as possible to those jackasses and I don't blame him. There's a word said, they'll twist it for their own story.

Also, this leaves the door open for a bit more retaliation without extreme oversight; If he says "oh he's gonna get it, it was dirty", then everybody from the league is licking their lips waiting for one of our guys to do anything wrong so they can get another 5 game+ suspension because reasons.

Less oversight, less problem.

I feel like Tierney (if he's playing) is gonna get wrecked tonight.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

do you honestly believe TG gives a rats ass what fans think?  His job is to win games and you don't win sitting in the penalty box........I guarantee you that's how he thinks

When the fans start chanting "fire green"  do think he'll care then?   How many coaches last after the fans turn?

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, Ronning4center said:

When the fans start chanting "fire green"  do think he'll care then?   How many coaches last after the fans turn?

plenty.......as long as JB sees upward projection and the players are still on board, TG isn't going anywhere.  

You think there's actually going to be a "fire green" chant?  Oy vey

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

he already is a damn good 3rd liner.  had he stayed healthy he would have hit 20 goals playing with defensive players, getting overwhelmingly defensive zone starts and no pp time.

Yes, I agree. But his consistency isn’t of a damn good 3rd liner. There are too many shifts heck Entire  games where he is not noticeable. He needs to show up regularly. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

Yes, I agree. But his consistency isn’t of a damn good 3rd liner. There are too many shifts heck Entire  games where he is not noticeable. He needs to show up regularly. 

you can say that about 80% of the league, especially the young playeres.

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

plenty.......as long as JB sees upward projection and the players are still on board, TG isn't going anywhere.  

You think there's actually going to be a "fire green" chant?  Oy vey

I don't, no.  I'm just saying....coaches, GM's are absolutely sensitive to the market that supports them.  If the local sandwich shop stops

serving your favorite turkey on rye are you going to keep going as often?  I feel like you are arguing with me for the sake of the argument lol.

21 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

Im honestly wondering if he's being coached out of that style....I remember when he got that suspension for a shoulder to shoulder hit 

how hard the Sedins were on him...it really seem to change his style.  With Greens attitude i wouldnt doubt hes being miscoached.  

Don't hit too hard Jake....don't mix it up...Play good defence...but also score and break down the wing....but don't get caught out of position.

I'm losing confidence in the coaching staff.

so you're mad because he's being coached to be a good, skilled hockey player?

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

so you're mad because he's being coached to be a good, skilled hockey player?

Oh my goodness Stawns....no!  I'm concerned that Jake isnt being allowed to play to his strengths and that he may have lost confidence.

I'm not the only fella to notice this.  Though it could be just that he's a bad hockey player.  I just refuse to believe that at this stage. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

goons never actually prevented much and during the height of the enforcer era, hockey was also probably at it's dirtiest.

I agree that the role changed - staged fights with guys that had no business playing in the league fighting for team honour wasn’t the best hockey we’ve seen.  However it’s debatable on how dirty thing are - and injuries and man games lost have proven to go up since they left.  Take out the injuries to the actual enforcers/goons even more so.  

For the most part they followed the code - that’s what’s missing in the game now. Guys never used to get slashed in the hands when they were around - at least not nearly as much as it was a bit no no, it got so bad a few years ago that the league had to step in and crack down on it. Players don’t respect the code when they know they won’t have to fight or get targeted for breaking it.

Personally I think there is a role for them - but it’s more like it was before expansion - policeman existed then too - but the biggest difference is that the actual players don’t know how to stick up for themselves and their teammates like they did back then - three decades of enforcers doing that for the team has changed things.

Gretzky talks about how he’d never have gotten the records he did if he wasn’t protected the way he was - both by his teammates and even the league.  If you were a fringe player trying to make a name for yourself and took a run at him you’d likely played your last game.  It did happen - but nothing like Crosby has had to deal with in his career - relentless punishment.   Imagine his records if he was never concussed - at the time he was on pace for 150 points one year.  

Im going with Potvin, Gretzky, Robinson, Gilles, and most of what the actual enforcers have said and the evidence is piling up - that without some protection on the ice to keep things honest man games lost will keep piling up - at least until the point the players themselves figure it out and start to play like their brethren did in the 40-60’s - they are already as far as rolling four lines again - but most of the players don’t play as hard and as tough as those guys did.  Policeman back then led the league wth 4-8 fights per year until Ferguson arrived and even he didn’t get much more - and like a true enforcer could play the game too. 

Cooke was probably the dirtiest player all-time - he made a mockery of Mario Lemieux and the Pens who said they were completely against that style of play and then went out head hunting while playing for them.  He changed the rules around head hits TWICE - ended careers was a total duche bag and nobody including the league could stop although they tried I will give you that.

Samuelsson and his knees got punished by Domi for calling him a dummy - and Neely twice.   Usually that’s what happened if a player stepped out of line - today not so much.  Every player knows they get a freebie.   Without some culture change on our team I fear for Hughes, Boeser and EP...not Horvat because he is a throwback player - guys know if they try something on him he won’t sit back and take it.  But he and the rest of the team need to stop skating to the bench after a cheap shot on a teammate, with their tails between their legs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

Oh my goodness Stawns....no!  I'm concerned that Jake isnt being allowed to play to his strengths and that he may have lost confidence.

I'm not the only fella to notice this.  Though it could be just that he's a bad hockey player.  I just refuse to believe that at this stage. 

That's not how the game is played anymore, plain and simple.  They want jake on the ice, not in the penalty box.  I'm not saying I like it, just that's the reality of the league now.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That's not how the game is played anymore, plain and simple.  They want jake on the ice, not in the penalty box.  I'm not saying I like it, just that's the reality of the league now.

I agree its changing...but damn...remember Ferland in Calgary....his physicality, not always legal....won that series.  Playoffs are

100% a war.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

I agree that the role changed - staged fights with guys that had no business playing in the league fighting for team honour wasn’t the best hockey we’ve seen.  However it’s debatable on how dirty thing are - and injuries and man games lost have proven to go up since they left.  Take out the injuries to the actual enforcers/goons even more so.  

For the most part they followed the code - that’s what’s missing in the game now. Guys never used to get slashed in the hands when they were around - at least not nearly as much as it was a bit no no, it got so bad a few years ago that the league had to step in and crack down on it. Players don’t respect the code when they know they won’t have to fight or get targeted for breaking it.

Personally I think there is a role for them - but it’s more like it was before expansion - policeman existed then too - but the biggest difference is that the actual players don’t know how to stick up for themselves and their teammates like they did back then - three decades of enforcers doing that for the team has changed things.

Gretzky talks about how he’d never have gotten the records he did if he wasn’t protected the way he was - both by his teammates and even the league.  If you were a fringe player trying to make a name for yourself and took a run at him you’d likely played your last game.  It did happen - but nothing like Crosby has had to deal with in his career - relentless punishment.   Imagine his records if he was never concussed - at the time he was on pace for 150 points one year.  

Im going with Potvin, Gretzky, Robinson, Gilles, and most of what the actual enforcers have said and the evidence is piling up - that without some protection on the ice to keep things honest man games lost will keep piling up - at least until the point the players themselves figure it out and start to play like their brethren did in the 40-60’s - they are already as far as rolling four lines again - but most of the players don’t play as hard and as tough as those guys did.  Policeman back then led the league wth 4-8 fights per year until Ferguson arrived and even he didn’t get much more - and like a true enforcer could play the game too. 

Cooke was probably the dirtiest player all-time - he made a mockery of Mario Lemieux and the Pens who said they were completely against that style of play and then went out head hunting while playing for them.  He changed the rules around head hits TWICE - ended careers was a total duche bag and nobody including the league could stop although they tried I will give you that.

Samuelsson and his knees got punished by Domi for calling him a dummy - and Neely twice.   Usually that’s what happened if a player stepped out of line - today not so much.  Every player knows they get a freebie.   Without some culture change on our team I fear for Hughes, Boeser and EP...not Horvat because he is a throwback player - guys know if they try something on him he won’t sit back and take it.  But he and the rest of the team need to stop skating to the bench after a cheap shot on a teammate, with their tails between their legs.

I understand what you're saying, but this idea that players followed a code and never slashed players in the hands is a total and complete myth.  Hockey was never cleaner than it is now and the stick work is a shadow of what it was back in the days of this supposed code.  Don't get me wrong, I would love to see fighting and hitting brought back into the game, but it's gone and not likely to return.

As far as injuries go, I'd say the bulk of can be attributed to better diagnosis, ridiculous equipment that is so hard you could probably kill someone with it, and the fact that players are kept out of the lineup for the slightest injuries.  

• Cheers 1