The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Sens @ Nucks Sept 25 2019 - 2 minutes for cross checking edition -

Rate this topic

xereau

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Expectations were too high for Jake. Just plunk him on the 4th line and let him work it out for himself. Open up a spot for MacEwan or Graovac by waiving LE. We need a mucker in the trenches, to hit and drop the mitts.

Teams still target us like 2011 we're not getting easy games - and  make opposing goalies look like Vezina.

I like this idea. I figured Graovac would be cut early, but he's getting quite the look. I though he looked like one of our more engaged players last night, and Jim loves bigger players. He might be a good choice as 13th F and get him into games where we need more physical presence. 

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Green could phrase it better, maybe something like...

"Do I think it was worth more than 2? Hell yeah. And I agree the league should look at it. Those are the types of hits we're trying to take out of the game aren't we?

Does it matter that it was BB? -- "Well aren't we promoting the NHL with our best players? So yeah I think our skill guys in the league deserve some consideration yeah, and also because he was in the middle of making a real hockey play and not trying to injure someone. Tierney could read his name plate".

Should our bench be policing attacks on our top players?--  "We coaches don't tap guys on the shoulder anymore, but it's an emotional game and if someone takes Tierneys hit personal sure someone may call him out on it."  "And Tierney has to back it up doesn't he?"

Sounds like the kind of response a team of lawyers would put together.  Very nice and politically correct.  The problem is, this team does  have a reputation for rolling over when it's players are targeted and liberties are taken.  Much of the hockey world including many ex players were disgusted that the Canucks showed no response to the assaults on Petey last year.  The hit on Brock wasn't predatory but it is the kind of hit, many teammates on other teams would immediately react to and go after the perpetrator. It was refreshing to have SChenn around last year  and see how he stood up for our young players in the moment.  The hockey world respects that and so do the players.  THat kind of "have your back" is a big part of a team's success.  I just don't see the Nucks having that.

2 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Sounds like the kind of response a team of lawyers would put together.  Very nice and politically correct.  The problem is, this team does  have a reputation for rolling over when it's players are targeted and liberties are taken.  Much of the hockey world including many ex players were disgusted that the Canucks showed no response to the assaults on Petey last year.  The hit on Brock wasn't predatory but it is the kind of hit, many teammates on other teams would immediately react to and go after the perpetrator. It was refreshing to have SChenn around last year  and see how he stood up for our young players in the moment.  The hockey world respects that and so do the players.  THat kind of "have your back" is a big part of a team's success.  I just don't see the Nucks having that.

Right I forgot about Schenn, yes he did do that. It's funny how we focus on skill players when we neglect the value of the Schenns and Dorsetts to create a safe working environment. Schenn was a positive that way and a good vet.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 250Integra said:

I was impressed in camp and I am still impressed with Graovac's game. Big guy that can skate well and has some decent hands. He'll be a great call up at some point during the year.

What I like is that he seems to be getting better each game - more confidence.

i think the guy has good IQ and patience.

we will see.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

Demko's play worries me, there's a lot riding on him for our future......Sigh

People get angry when I say he's still a few years away. He's got amazing athleticism, but his technical fundamentals need help, mainly his rebound control. He has improved lots though since he first dawned the jersey however. He'd be great at lower levels because you have to react more at those levels, in the NHL you don't have time to react as much and relies heavily on technique. Goalies like Luongo were super rare because he was way more athletic in net than most, but he also had an extremely good knack for reading the play in front of him which allowed him to succeed. I don't see that ability yet in Demko. Hopefully with experience he'll learn it. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I hate streaming now...I can't watch any hockey and it's so frustrating :(

But....were average in the pre-season?  Middle of the pack?

how terrible...

I remember when the Oilers and Toronto dominated their preseasons a few years back.  Oilers won the draft lottery, then Toronto did.

It's like panicking over a game of shinny.  You don't

Everyone knows that the games do not matter until April. That is what teams are judged by, and only that. Anyone cares that St Louis was in last place overall in early January? Anyone cares that Tampa Bay finished first? Did Calgary have a good season last year, or how about Colorado? 

14 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Ok, Sutter isn't old though. I see your ignorance is in full season form. 

I was training all summer... what can i say..  

Stutter turns 31 this season..... some guys just age quicker than others... He had a solid career but his best hockey is  in the past. 

Had the pleasure of being stuck sitting behind a bunch of kids last night vaping into their jackets, as if nobody noticed the clouds leaking out of them. :rolleyes: Kept doing it even after a parent in our row (who was there with the approx. 5-7 year old son) asked them to stop. Security was... ineffective.

Buffalo chicken tenders were good tho.

27 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I was training all summer... what can i say..  

Stutter turns 31 this season..... some guys just age quicker than others... He had a solid career but his best hockey is  in the past. 

If he was a top 6 C your take would have some relevance. Defensive focused players especially smart ones can be effective until their mid-late 30’s.