The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Matthew Tkachuk 3 years 21 million

SynysterGates

The Calgary Flames and restricted free-agent forward Matthew Tkachuk are closing in on a three-year deal worth an average annual value of $7 million, according to TSN's Bob McKenzie.

Tkachuk will be a restricted free agent when the deal expires.

The 21-year-old will make $9 million in the third season of the contract, according to TSN's Darren Dreger. He'd receive a qualifying offer of at least that amount for a potential fourth year, should the sides fail to agree to a new deal before that time.

Edited by SynysterGates
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

So looks like it's a 3 year deal.

So, with a Year 4 QO of $9M, this could be a four-year, $30M deal that walks Tkachuk to UFA. Obviously, CGY will try to lock him up on long term deal in two years. https://t.co/LJAJ5r59G7

Wonder what the actual terms are...be surprised if they sign him to an AM like deal that takes him to free agency...have to be five years for that no?

Looks to be AV of 7 million...more then Point but not the take home pay...on a 3 year deal.  The bridge deal looks like the preferred choice of the bulk of these RFAs - 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Wonder what the actual terms are...be surprised if they sign him to an AM like deal that takes him to free agency...have to be five years for that no?

The tweet above was from Bob McKenzie (sorry don't know how to embed) and how I understand it is that his qualifying offer after the 3rd year will be $9m and after that he'll be a free agent. I'm taking Bob's word for that. Happy to be corrected. 

14 minutes ago, SynysterGates said:

The Calgary Flames and restricted free-agent forward Matthew Tkachuk are closing in on a three-year deal worth an average annual value of $7 million, according to TSN's Bob McKenzie.

Tkachuk will be a restricted free agent when the deal expires.

The 21-year-old will make $9 million in the third season of the contract, according to TSN's Darren Dreger. He'd receive a qualifying offer of at least that amount for a potential fourth year, should the sides fail to agree to a new deal before that time.

Got the post ahead of another thread ha ha - by one minute ... good signing for both sides.  Bridge contracts are winning out with most of these RFAs, good for both sides.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Fan since 82 said:

The tweet above was from Bob McKenzie (sorry don't know how to embed) and how I understand it is that his qualifying offer after the 3rd year will be $9m and after that he'll be a free agent. I'm taking Bob's word for that. Happy to be corrected. 

No worries - it looks like 3 x 7... and another poster beat you to the thread by one minute...

• Cheers 1

At this rate,  is a future work stoppage inevitable due to spiraling salary and contract demands?

Not blaming either side here - idiot GM'S/owners are equally to blame as greedy agents/players - but I don't see this as a sustainable trend.  If league revenues are also spiraling up then maybe it's sustainable,  but expansion money isn't going to last forever. 

• Upvote 2

I just cannot see him being in Calgary long term.  he just comes across as that plays where he wants to play kind of kid.  Possibly St Louis or Arizona like his dad did but just don't see him staying in Calgary.

Half decent deal, seems these 3 year QO deals are here to stay.  Still not sure how much control teams have over these QOs in their qualifying year if these kids don't live up to them.  Like if Meier becomes a 30 point player for the duration of his contract what does he get?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I'm surprised he received more than Brayden Point. I think he is gone after his 4th year to UFA

Tampa has some significantly lower taxes.  So yeah. Other teams need to pay more for the player to get the same money as Point 

Edited by qwijibo

41 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I just cannot see him being in Calgary long term.  he just comes across as that plays where he wants to play kind of kid.  Possibly St Louis or Arizona like his dad did but just don't see him staying in Calgary.

Half decent deal, seems these 3 year QO deals are here to stay.  Still not sure how much control teams have over these QOs in their qualifying year if these kids don't live up to them.  Like if Meier becomes a 30 point player for the duration of his contract what does he get?

Teams can simply walk away from the QO and inform the league they won't be tendering one. 

A shrewd GM who knows he made a mistake on a RFA would likely be better off unloading the kid in the final year of the bridge deal - even if it's a lowball return it's better than walking away for nothing imo. 

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

At this rate,  is a future work stoppage inevitable due to spiraling salary and contract demands?

Not blaming either side here - idiot GM'S/owners are equally to blame as greedy agents/players - but I don't see this as a sustainable trend.  If league revenues are also spiraling up then maybe it's sustainable,  but expansion money isn't going to last forever. 

:huh:

Tkachuk was 31st in league scoring last year, 25th in goals with 34. Plus he brings a lot of intangibles that most other players don't have. It is not a stretch at all to say that he's a top-40 player (and will likely only get better). Yet even though he's the most recent contract signed, and a lot of top guys are still on ELC's, Tkachuk only has the 57th highest cap hit.

Young impact players aren't getting paid less (percentage of cap wise) than they were in years past. They are just becoming impact players younger than ever, and as such expect to get paid for how they play, not preconceived notions of what they deserve because of their age.

• Upvote 2