The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Matthew Tkachuk 3 years 21 million

SynysterGates

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I just cannot see him being in Calgary long term.  he just comes across as that plays where he wants to play kind of kid.  Possibly St Louis or Arizona like his dad did but just don't see him staying in Calgary.

Half decent deal, seems these 3 year QO deals are here to stay.  Still not sure how much control teams have over these QOs in their qualifying year if these kids don't live up to them.  Like if Meier becomes a 30 point player for the duration of his contract what does he get?

I completely agree, he and Gudreau seem like the players with the least amount of loyalty to that franchise.

37 minutes ago, Monty said:

Uh, hate to break it to you, but Brock is NOT the player Tkachuk is. Tkachuk is worth every bit this contract.

We'll see...

Tkachuk's first 2 full seasons compared to Brock's first 2 full seasons shows that Brock is not far off... I'll give Tkachuk a slight edge due to age and toughness on the ice, but put Brock on a line with Johnny and Sean in their prime, and we'd probably see even a bigger gap offensively from Brock. 

Anyways, I just don't think Tkachuk is $1M+ per season difference in a bridge contract.  Especially with a $9M QO final season on the contract as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

At this rate,  is a future work stoppage inevitable due to spiraling salary and contract demands?

Not blaming either side here - idiot GM'S/owners are equally to blame as greedy agents/players - but I don't see this as a sustainable trend.  If league revenues are also spiraling up then maybe it's sustainable,  but expansion money isn't going to last forever. 

It is just a recognition by the agents that players don't get to cash in when they are in their 30's like they used to.  They have to make most of their money in their early to mid twenties.

The salary cap isn't changing dramatically, the way it is split up is just changing fast.  You can get a 32 year old veteran who still produces for pennies on the dollar now and those used to be the expensive guys.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

All I can say is that this deal shows how well GMJB did on the deal for Brock. 

The best part is Boeser has two RFA years left after his deal expires. He can't just take the high QO, play the year out and walk like Tkachuk will do.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Teams can simply walk away from the QO and inform the league they won't be tendering one. 

A shrewd GM who knows he made a mistake on a RFA would likely be better off unloading the kid in the final year of the bridge deal - even if it's a lowball return it's better than walking away for nothing imo. 

Thanks for the heads up.  So they do have an out, outside of arbitration of course

28 minutes ago, Boone Jenner said:

I completely agree, he and Gudreau seem like the players with the least amount of loyalty to that franchise.

Qu'est-ce que c'est? Gaudreau has been with the team since he was drafted. He didn't sign any offer sheet. He stayed.

27 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Young impact players aren't getting paid less (percentage of cap wise) than they were in years past. They are just becoming impact players younger than ever, and as

such expect to get paid for how they play, not preconceived notions of what they deserve because of their age.

I didn't mention anything about this player's age.  To me it's irrelevant what their age is - I was more commenting on the fact that the average salary in the league is escalating at a rate not comparable to league revenues.  GM's/Owners/Agents/Players will not have access to the kind of money that comes along with expansion indefinitely and there's absolutely no guarantee that the next US TV contract will be the Holy Grail of revenue that some think it will be. 

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

The salary cap isn't changing dramatically, the way it is split up is just changing fast.  You can get a 32 year old veteran who still produces for pennies on the dollar now and those used to be the expensive guys.

I agree with this.  The league is trending towards a have/have not type of roster situation where you will be able to have 4-5 guys on your team earning huge percentages of your team's cap and the rest will be low-end/league minimum earners.  

If we look at our own team for example - it doesn't take much, the way things are trending, to envision a situation where we can afford to pay EP/BoHo/Brock/Hughes/Goalie and then have a bunch of plugs surrounding them because there's nothing left for the mid-priced players.  Can you imagine what things would be like if entry level contracts weren't already written into the CBA - there's a realistic chance we wouldn't have EP or Brock on the team - they'd already be priced out of our budget/salary cap.   

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Thanks for the heads up.  So they do have an out, outside of arbitration of course

Yes, there are 'outs' built into the system.

To my knowledge, GM's can even walk away from arbitration rulings - but the player immediately becomes a UFA is my understanding. 

19 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Qu'est-ce que c'est? Gaudreau has been with the team since he was drafted. He didn't sign any offer sheet. He stayed.

I'm aware of that, his desire to play in Philly hasn't changed though. 2.5 years left on that deal.. They'll have him and Tkachuk to resign.by the end of this. 9 mil qualifying for Tkachuk, Gaudreau due for a huge raise and a free agent, pick your poison.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/johnny-gaudreau-would-love-play-flyers-career-ends 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I’m still hopeful that Olli turns out. 

But I’ll always hate that we picked him over Tkachuk. 

Even if Olli turns out great, it’s super doubtful he will be as valuable as Matt.

I’m still fine with the Juolevi pick. You can’t foresee injuries, and with the high emphasis on character this management group has I’m not surprised they passed over Tkachuk.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I’m still hopeful that Olli turns out. 

But I’ll always hate that we picked him over Tkachuk. 

Even if Olli turns out great, it’s super doubtful he will be as valuable as Matt.

How I've come to terms with this is:

1. We haven't seen if Juolevi is gonna turn into that solid Top 4 defenceman yet.  There's still hope there.

2.  If we took Tkachuk, we may not have finished low enough in the standings to have selected EP40. 

I'll take Juolevi 10 times out of 10 if it meant we ended up with EP40.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

We'll see...

Tkachuk's first 2 full seasons compared to Brock's first 2 full seasons shows that Brock is not far off... I'll give Tkachuk a slight edge due to age and toughness on the ice, but put Brock on a line with Johnny and Sean in their prime, and we'd probably see even a bigger gap offensively from Brock. 

Anyways, I just don't think Tkachuk is $1M+ per season difference in a bridge contract.  Especially with a $9M QO final season on the contract as well.

Tkachuk doesnt play with either of those players. He originally started on the 3rd line and worked his way up to the 2nd line.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

We'll see...

If I recall correctly Tkachuk played with Backlund and Frolik. Stick him with Petey and, well. Doesn’t matter now.

I don’t think drafting Tkachuk would have meant we don’t get Petey either. But what’s done is done. 

• Upvote 2