The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Matthew Tkachuk 3 years 21 million

SynysterGates

3 hours ago, Monty said:

Uh, hate to break it to you, but Brock is NOT the player Tkachuk is. Tkachuk is worth every bit this contract.

I'm pissed if i'm a Toronto fan.  How can Matthews, Marner, JT, and Nylander be making the cap they are when guys like Point and Tkatcuk are getting so much less?  TO fans should be after Dubass.  Hate Tkatchuk, which means he's really good.  I think he deserves more than Marner.  Better player.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

I’m still fine with the Juolevi pick. You can’t foresee injuries, and with the high emphasis on character this management group has I’m not surprised they passed over Tkachuk.

I’m kinda fine with it too.  

But this character thing thing has been our downfall for years. 

Passing up on a much better player because the other player is a nice guy.  

Give me a break.  

Ill take a guy willing to do anything to win over class anyday.  

We we have been getting beat up for years.  

I’d love to be the ones doing the smashing and winning for a change. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Give me a break.  

Ask Winnipeg how important character is.  

• Cheers 2

For anyone thinking we could of had Tkachuk over Juolevi, hindsight is 20/20.  Yes Tkachuk is the better player today but who's to say Juolevi can't be a top 4 D in 2-3 years?  If so it wasn't a bad pick.  We will see.

The other thing to think about is if we had picked Tkachuk we would be the ones giving him that $7 million contract.  How would we have gotten him under the cap today?  I know what people are going to say, we wouldn't have signed Loui that summer.  Not sure if we had drafted Tkachuk that it would have made a difference as we wouldn't have even known if Tkachuk would have made the team that year and we were looking for a winger to play with the Sedins, which Loui was a supposed great fit at the time coming off a 30 goal season.

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Give me a break.  

There's a difference. Its not that Benning and co. place character above every other trait and will always opt for the kid with the best personality, its that they're not going to draft someone who is a little $&!#head, as it can't be good for the team down the road.

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

Give me a break.  

Interesting take, and got me thinking. Canucks have been drafting good boys the last few years, until this past year. I think Podkolzin was such an excellent pick for this team. I thought, like a lot of others, that Jake was going to provide snarl, but he's a pussycat. It takes a bit of evil to hurt people, and I think Jake is afraid to hurt someone. He's a good boy. Looking back at the 2016 Draft, heck yeah, Tkachuk was the better pick, but the Canucks D depth was hurting real bad. They selected the highest ranked Dman instead of the snarly forward with pedigree. I wonder how Tkachuk would be doing under Green. Would Tkachuk have been in Utica the last couple of years until he learns self-control? lol  Would Green rip on him for not being good enough defensively? Would Green put him on the 4th line because that's where he thinks Tkachuk deserves to play? Would Tkachuk be asking for a trade? lol

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'm pissed if i'm a Toronto fan.  How can Matthews, Marner, JT, and Nylander be making the cap they are when guys like Point and Tkatcuk are getting so much less?  TO fans should be after Dubass.  Hate Tkatchuk, which means he's really good.  I think he deserves more than Marner.  Better player.  

I blame the Toronto media and Shanahan. He should have picked hunter or kept Lou.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

All I can say is that this deal shows how well GMJB did on the deal for Brock. 

You mean how well Treliving did with the Tkachuk deal..

Brock is good and all but he's no Mathew Tkachuk.  This kid is a level higher. 

No other guy in NHL brings what Tkachuk does..right now there really is no comparison to Tkachuk.

He's a true power forward

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The one that got away....:blush:

he didn't get away, he just turned into a younger Russian version. Podkolzin will bring what MT does, and we'll have Juolevi too. 

Benning isn't an idiot. There was a reason he passed over Tkachuk, the kid probably didn't want to be here either. 

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

You mean how well Treliving did with the Tkachuk deal..

Brock is good and all but he's no Mathew Tkachuk.  This kid is a level higher. 

No other guy in NHL brings what Tkachuk does..right now there really is no comparison to Tkachuk.

He's a true power forward

I mean you could compare him to his brother Brady ha

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he didn't get away, he just turned into a younger Russian version. Podkolzin will bring what MT does, and we'll have Juolevi too. 

Benning isn't an idiot. There was a reason he passed over Tkachuk, the kid probably didn't want to be here either. 

There is not much difference between Calgary and Vancouver city wise, most would prefer VAN. Podkolzin is great but I dont think he has the offensive upside of Tkachuk, he stacked up points at every level.  

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

There is not much difference between Calgary and Vancouver city wise, most would prefer VAN. Podkolzin is great but I dont think he has the offensive upside of Tkachuk, he stacked up points at every level.  

No probably not, but he looks to be physically dominant and a better skater. But we'll see, he's so young at the moment but already has signs of being a power forward. Kids just barley 18. If he can refine his scoring as well we'll have something special. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Oh he definitely got away. 

I remember JB making statements comparing OJs game to Lidstrom.  He was completely sold on OJ and thought he'd be a great top pair dman. He's still very young and hopefully he gets there..

Right now in 2016 draft do over Tkachuk goes 2nd overall after Matthews. 

• Upvote 2