The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Matthew Tkachuk 3 years 21 million

SynysterGates

11 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I mean you could compare him to his brother Brady ha

Ya he'd be the closest but Mathew has more nasty to his game..

Really hard to find another guy as comparable..

In cpl yrs Brady might.be even better. love both those players.  Saw their dad get drafed and come into the league.

Apples didn't fall far from the tree that's for sure.

Edited by WHL rocks

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya he'd be the closest but Mathew has more nasty to his game..

Really hard to find another guy as comparable..

In cpl yrs Brady might.be even better. love both those players.  Saw their dad get drafed and come into the league.

Apples didn't fall far from the tree that's for sure.

So true. I love watching players that play that way.....

I hope podz can be our MT but passing on MT is probably the dumbest thing Jim has done.....

guys like him and podz don't go on trees.....picture MT Bo and Brock......drool......

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Oh he definitely got away. 

I remember JB making statements comparing OJs game to Lidstrom.  He was completely sold on OJ and thought he'd be a great top pair dman. He's still very young and hopefully he gets there..

Right now in 2016 draft do over Tkachuk goes 2nd overall after Matthews. 

dont disagree, but I think there was something going on behind the scenes. I don't think Keith wanted his kid in this market. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

dont disagree, but I think there was something going on behind the scenes. I don't think Keith wanted his kid in this market. 

Wouldn't blame Keith, Canucks culture might have ruined him and playing for the flames , he fits into their culture like iggy and flury 

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

How I've come to terms with this is:

1. We haven't seen if Juolevi is gonna turn into that solid Top 4 defenceman yet.  There's still hope there.

2.  If we took Tkachuk, we may not have finished low enough in the standings to have selected EP40. 

I'll take Juolevi 10 times out of 10 if it meant we ended up with EP40.

Too many what ifs.  

What if if we took Tkachuk AND got EP. 

That would be the best duo in hockey. 

Just now, aGENT said:

What if we traded down and got McAvoy PLUS another asset!?!

THAT is how you hindsight properly sir!

Tru dat.   Hahaha

Yeah, I wanted Tkachuk.  Still do.  

Ill be happy if Olli pans out.  

Growing up outside of calgary, and hating the place so so so much, just makes me ultra bitter about them getting what I wanted.  Hahaha

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fanuck said:

At this rate,  is a future work stoppage inevitable due to spiraling salary and contract demands?

Not blaming either side here - idiot GM'S/owners are equally to blame as greedy agents/players - but I don't see this as a sustainable trend.  If league revenues are also spiraling up then maybe it's sustainable,  but expansion money isn't going to last forever. 

But it’s not “spiralling out of control”.  Only TO and debatably ARI has bought into this RFA debacle.   Everyone else (ok maybe not AHO but he’s a real player and he was offer sheeted) has signed their players to reasonable deals.  Heck five-seven years ago all the EDM first rounders got six - and before that Crosby/Ovi/Malkin we’re paid a similar percentage to the cap as McDavid is getting now.   A month ago I would have agreed to this - but MT is only 21 and already a PPGer on the second line.   And Point even more so and also spent most of the last two years on the second line.  This is a fair contract - he brings a lot to the table for less then 10% of the overall cap.  Hope EP and Hughes also sign deals like this when they are up.

Edit: and expansion money is gobbled up by the other owners - it’s not revenue that is shared with the players so yes - the 22 or so million each team gets will be gone as fast as it comes in.  

Edited by IBatch

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

That was  never an issue. 

Tkachuk said he interviewed with Canucks and they didn't seem very interested in him. 

JB was very high on OJ. Like I said he was publicly comparing OJ to Lidstrom. You don't get any higher on a player than that. I mean we're talking Lidstrom.

If WPG CGY OTT is OK for the American Tkachuks I don't know why Vancouver would not be. 

Anyways. Water under the bridge.  Hopefully OJ keeps improving his game and stays healthy. 

He could be a good 2nd pair Dman in 3 or 4 years if things change for the better for him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

At this rate,  is a future work stoppage inevitable due to spiraling salary and contract demands?

Not blaming either side here - idiot GM'S/owners are equally to blame as greedy agents/players - but I don't see this as a sustainable trend.  If league revenues are also spiraling up then maybe it's sustainable,  but expansion money isn't going to last forever. 

Players and teams split hockey related revenue (HRR) 50/50.

instead of paying big money to older UFA players the younger kids are starting to get paid earlier..

But total salary expediture remains 50/50. So no this won't be the cause of a work stopage.

Maybe they'll add a year to ELC from 3 yrs to 4 yrs. Remains to be seen. CBA negotiations are currently under way.  

20 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Tru dat.   Hahaha

Yeah, I wanted Tkachuk.  Still do.  

Ill be happy if Olli pans out.  

Growing up outside of calgary, and hating the place so so so much, just makes me ultra bitter about them getting what I wanted.  Hahaha

Imagine this:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76118b833c3f0050cb8e18

We trade our #5 pick for CAR's 13 and 21 and select McAvoy + one of Rubstov, Borgstrom, Howden, Steel etc. And not only that but CAR takes the d-bag at 5 meaning Calgary doesn't even get him :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Fanuck said:

Point/Kucherov say WUT???????^_^

Obviously in hindsight there are a lot of better picks to be made.  

Im an old school fan who loves the old game.  

Scott Stevens is my fav player.  

Big, strong, mean hockey.   That’s my jam. Lol 

The Tkachuk kids are great in my eyes. 

May not like their attitudes, or their stupid faces in Brady’s case, but that’s a great style of game they play.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

CBA negotiations are currently under way.  

My understanding is that no negotiations are currently happening as both parties opted not to open the current CBA thereby the existing CBA simply stays in effect until 2022.  Is this not the Case? 

10 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

My understanding is that no negotiations are currently happening as both parties opted not to open the current CBA thereby the existing CBA simply stays in effect until 2022.  Is this not the Case? 

Yes they agreed to not opt out. First the NHL followed by NHLPA. And they are currently negotiating an extension. 

They're meeting regularly. Like a couple times a week I read couple weeks ago. 

From reports I've read so far things seem to be progressing pretty well. No big leaks to media which apparently is a good sign. .

21 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

May not like their attitudes, or their stupid faces in Brady’s case, but that’s a great style of game they play.  

Love everything about them. Especially the attitude. That's what makes them special players.  

Canucks still desperately need a couple guys like that..

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

For anyone thinking we could of had Tkachuk over Juolevi, hindsight is 20/20.  Yes Tkachuk is the better player today but who's to say Juolevi can't be a top 4 D in 2-3 years?  If so it wasn't a bad pick.  We will see.

The other thing to think about is if we had picked Tkachuk we would be the ones giving him that $7 million contract.  How would we have gotten him under the cap today?  I know what people are going to say, we wouldn't have signed Loui that summer.  Not sure if we had drafted Tkachuk that it would have made a difference as we wouldn't have even known if Tkachuk would have made the team that year and we were looking for a winger to play with the Sedins, which Loui was a supposed great fit at the time coming off a 30 goal season.

I really hope Juolevi can pan out, but don’t even know if this guy will ever be healthy to play regular mins

2 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

So true. I love watching players that play that way.....

I hope podz can be our MT but passing on MT is probably the dumbest thing Jim has done.....

guys like him and podz don't go on trees.....picture MT Bo and Brock......drool......

True enough... but what if he played for us his first year and scored fifty points?  We might have missed a chance to draft EP...maybe not but it is what it is.   Is EP and OJ better then sat MT and Valardi?  Don’t think so.  Two teams have spoke out and said they’d have drafted EP before 9, if they had the chance (well who knows if that’s just blowing smoke),  Glass would also be gone before we picked ... and also Hughes too.   

Maybe we’d have MT, Valardi and Bouchard instead.    Wouldn’t be a bad thing necessarily, but I like what we have better.   Picking OJ had some ramifications undoubtedly - if he works out JB will come out smelling like roses.

BTW I almost threw the remote when he slipped to us and then we passed on him, thought for sure we were picking PLD but he went third.  Then he slipped to us and for a few minutes I was so excited - it was a gut punch when CLB took PLD but I never dreamed MT would slip to us - even better - then a worse gut punch when we picked OJ who most lists didn’t have in the top ten (but some did, around 8-9).  

JB pulled a rabbit out of a hat the next two- possibly three drafts - and that little extra tanking helped with whom we got, like it or not without OJ and instead MT, we wouldn’t have the last three guys we picked first overall. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, drummerboy said:

They both have stupid faces, Brady’s looks like he’s always constipated - MT just looks like the kid that steals lunch money at recess and is smug about it.  

Yes Stevens was great - wish hitting like that was still legal - what they did to Wilson last season was a disgrace.   

• Upvote 2