The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Matthew Tkachuk 3 years 21 million

SynysterGates

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

True enough... but what if he played for us his first year and scored fifty points?  We might have missed a chance to draft EP...maybe not but it is what it is.   Is EP and OJ better then sat MT and Valardi?  Don’t think so.  Two teams have spoke out and said they’d have drafted EP before 9, if they had the chance (well who knows if that’s just blowing smoke),  Glass would also be gone before we picked ... and also Hughes too.   

Maybe we’d have MT, Valardi and Bouchard instead.    Wouldn’t be a bad thing necessarily, but I like what we have better.   Picking OJ had some ramifications undoubtedly - if he works out JB will come out smelling like roses.

BTW I almost threw the remote when he slipped to us and then we passed on him, thought for sure we were picking PLD but he went third.  Then he slipped to us and for a few minutes I was so excited - it was a gut punch when CLB took PLD but I never dreamed MT would slip to us - even better - then a worse gut punch when we picked OJ who most lists didn’t have in the top ten (but some did, around 8-9).  

JB pulled a rabbit out of a hat the next two- possibly three drafts - and that little extra tanking helped with whom we got, like it or not without OJ and instead MT, we wouldn’t have the last three guys we picked first overall. 

Only thing is didn't MT go back to jr for one more aeason? I'm too lazy to look it up....

so we could have got Petey still and Hughes is great but we could have like you stated Bouchard or Noah D.....which I don't think either would be a bad thing....also picking MT we might have used our seconds on D man instead of forwards....a lot of different routes we could have taken.....

we could have trade Sven for picks , the list goes on.  

I can live with passing on MT since I remember the Nonis and Gilles days.......that's what makes the pill a lil easier to swallow.....

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Ya he'd be the closest but Mathew has more nasty to his game..

Really hard to find another guy as comparable..

In cpl yrs Brady might.be even better. love both those players.  Saw their dad get drafed and come into the league.

Apples didn't fall far from the tree that's for sure.

FWIW, Matthew says Brady is tougher and meaner and won most of their scraps growing up. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

FWIW, Matthew says Brady is tougher and meaner and won most of their scraps growing up. 

And PK Subban said Jordan was the best of the three of them. It's almost like the older brother is pumping the other one up.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Only thing is didn't MT go back to jr for one more aeason? I'm too lazy to look it up....

so we could have got Petey still and Hughes is great but we could have like you stated Bouchard or Noah D.....which I don't think either would be a bad thing....also picking MT we might have used our seconds on D man instead of forwards....a lot of different routes we could have taken.....

we could have trade Sven for picks , the list goes on.  

I can live with passing on MT since I remember the Nonis and Gilles days.......that's what makes the pill a lil easier to swallow.....

Nope he went directly to the NHL scoring 48 points on mostly the third, and then the second line....with out lineup he’d probably have moved up even faster.    Those points would have helped us in the standings, and we could definitely expect the same lottery balls... that said yes maybe we’d still have EP, but I’d still rather have EP and Hughes for sure then MT, x and x players.   And like I said I hated that we passed on him. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Correct.   He’s bigger too.  And uglier but that ones close.  THN Ken Campbell wrote a great article just before the draft suggesting that a lot of teams would possibly sleep on him and regret passing him later - called him a 6’3” Claude Lemieux with more scoring - and that it’s possible outside of Dahlin that he’d end his career as the next best player of that loaded draft.  Turns out OTT felt the same way.   Four points last night - not too shabby - sure it’s preseason but he made the best of his chances, and he’s playing without much support at all outside of PMD Chabot, no slight on Conner and White, but they are definitely out of their depth, second liners at best asked to play on the top line.   By the time OTTs prospects come in and make a difference he will be Horvats age and likely their captain too. 

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Nope he went directly to the NHL scoring 48 points on mostly the third, and then the second line....with out lineup he’d probably have moved up even faster.    Those points would have helped us in the standings, and we could definitely expect the same lottery balls... that said yes maybe we’d still have EP, but I’d still rather have EP and Hughes for sure then MT, x and x players.   And like I said I hated that we passed on him. 

I don’t think you can play that game. It’s not as simple as if we had tkachuk we would have had more points = better results.

There’s no saying that if canucks had tkachuk perhaps granlund doesn’t get the same opportunity to score 19 goals. Or baertschi doesn’t get the pp time to put up 35 points. It’s not just a simple addition. That move subtracts else where in realistically balances itself out.

Canucks didn’t finish that low simply because we were missing a 48 point rookie. Canucks finished that low because our goaltending was poor and we were annihilated with injuries. Tkachuk doesn’t change that. 

Every move has a ripple effect that is impossible to predict. So trying to add hindsight doesn’t work in this situation. There’s no saying that canucks would have been better. Canucks could have just as easily been worse and ended up drafting Dahlin in 2018. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don’t think you can play that game. It’s not as simple as if we had tkachuk we would have had more points = better results.

There’s no saying that if canucks had tkachuk perhaps granlund doesn’t get the same opportunity to score 19 goals. Or baertschi doesn’t get the pp time to put up 35 points. It’s not just a simple addition. That move subtracts else where in realistically balances itself out.

Canucks didn’t finish that low simply because we were missing a 48 point rookie. Canucks finished that low because our goaltending was poor and we were annihilated with injuries. Tkachuk doesn’t change that. 

Every move has a ripple effect that is impossible to predict. So trying to add hindsight doesn’t work in this situation. There’s no saying that canucks would have been better. Canucks could have just as easily been worse and ended up drafting Dahlin in 2018. 

Your saying the same thing - as in everything has a ripple effect.  The only point I was trying to make it’s not for certain  we’d also have EP and Hughes if we drafted MT instead of OJ, probably unlikely.   Maybe Granlund and Bear would have scored more with MT in the lineup, not less.  Maybe we’d have Valardi and Bouchard - or Glass and Dobson, or like you said we win the lottery and picked Hirscheir or Patrick - the consensus one and two EPs draft year too.

3 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

not to mention EP may not have been on anyone's radar. There were some serious concerns about his size. I believe Bob Mckenzie had him ranked 11th overall

Treliving came out today saying that one of the reasons it was a shorter deal and for less money than expected was because Tkachuk " could not and would not " allow his contract to be the reason one of his teamates was traded off. There were lots of stories that Brodie or Frolik would have to be moved when Tkachuk signed but he made sure that wouldnt happen.  With stories like that, its easy to see why he was given an A so quickly and is a well respected in the locker room

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TheAce said:

Treliving came out today saying that one of the reasons it was a shorter deal and for less money than expected was because Tkachuk " could not and would not " allow his contract to be the reason one of his teamates was traded off. There were lots of stories that Brodie or Frolik would have to be moved when Tkachuk signed but he made sure that wouldnt happen.  With stories like that, its easy to see why he was given an A so quickly and is a well respected in the locker room

Yeah I listened to the treliving and tkachuk interviews last night on my way home from work and it makes you wonder where this “bad” character rumors come from. The kid is a real team player and oozes leadership. His gm loves him, his coaches love him. And most of all his teammates love him. 

• Upvote 3

On 9/26/2019 at 11:01 AM, TheAce said:

Shame so many hate on him inherently. I’m a fan. He carried his line. Guy has loads of talent and will be a problem for us for a long time.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/26/2019 at 11:09 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yeah I listened to the treliving and tkachuk interviews last night on my way home from work and it makes you wonder where this “bad” character rumors come from. The kid is a real team player and oozes leadership. His gm loves him, his coaches love him. And most of all his teammates love him. 

From the poster Rob Zepp... the only guy who claimed all those issues, anyone involved in hockey raves about him.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/25/2019 at 6:28 PM, Chris12345 said:

Exactly. What if we took Tkachuck and won the lottery?

A team cannot be consisted of superstars because of the cap and there is no guarantee that Tkachuk would be this successful with the Canucks or the Canucks would had also drafted EP.  Let's just enjoy we have this core and a prospect pool to supplement it.