The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] 9/26 Canucks vs Coyotes @ 7:00 PM

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

I've always had hope for Goldobin to turn his game around, but this preseason has been nothing short of disappointing. It looks SO bad that Eriksson, who had such brutal seasons with Vancouver, has turned it around, seemingly in the preseason. On the other hand, in four games, Goldobin has largely been a non-factor, picking up a mere assist in four games.

Goldobin's gonna get waived. 100 percent. I'm not even sure he'll even get picked up, unfortunately. Hopefully he can play well in the AHL and put all his talent together later.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I've always had hope for Goldobin to turn his game around, but this preseason has been nothing short of disappointing. It looks SO bad that Eriksson, who had such brutal seasons with Vancouver, has turned it around, seemingly in the preseason. On the other hand, in four games, Goldobin has largely been a non-factor, picking up a mere assist in four games.

Goldobin's gonna get waived. 100 percent. I'm not even sure he'll even get picked up, unfortunately. Hopefully he can play well in the AHL and put all his talent together later.

Goldy had few nice passes last night that could easily have been apples if say Boeser or EP were finishing.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Graovac had a good game last night, as did MacEwan. Neither is likely to start in the NHL, but I'm glad to see them playing. This is a good opportunity to see what each guy on the call up list is going to bring while developing chemistry and familiarity with potential line mates and systems. 

Goldobin needs some AHL time, and he gets picked up on waivers so be it. 

"No update. He's feeling fine and he's in the protocol. I think he's feeling better." - Green on Boeser

"Every game is an opportunity. With the way our schedule is set up we haven't been able to ice a team that's going to start the season. It's given us an opportunity to look at everyone." - Green on Gaudette

"It'll shake itself out over the next few days. We haven't seen some of our guys play a whole lot. We're going to have to make a lot of hard decisions in the coming days." - Green on roster

"He's just kind of been there. It's more than goals and assists with him, he has to have a dog on a bone mentality. We want him to be a big part of this team, he has to be on top of his game to do that." - Green on Virtanen

"I like our depth. I feel like we've added some skill and heaviness to our group. I like how Miller has looked. I haven't seen enough of Ferland but I've liked what I've seen from him in the past." - Green on new guys

Confirms Ferland and Leivo will play alongside Pettersson tonight.

1 hour ago, 'NucK™ said:

Gaudette getting game #6!

Not sure whether to think it's a "show me one more time you belong here", or a "sorry but we are waiving you even though you deserve to make the team, but here's one more NHL game for now".

1 hour ago, Per Her Son said:

I think JB is really trying to make a trade so he can stay. 

44 minutes ago, brownky said:

I'm not.

Let the guys have all the rope with which to hang themselves. Then they have zero excuses for themselves; they had every opportunity to make the cut, and failed to do so. It's not like having one bad practice, one bad game and snip-snipski they're gone. No, they've had an entire preseason to cement "on average" that they belong on the team, or more that they do not.

Carrying an extra "line" worth of defence and forwards right to the end shouldn't cut performances too hard.

We also have a lot of 'blank' time between preseason and game time to really grind practices, along with a generous schedule to start the season to correct whatever has been picked up in these preseason games.

Lots of hard choices for the coaches to make.

Traditionally, a lot of teams play their expected starting line-up in the final preseason game.

The Canucks are not doing that. Horvat, Miller, Pearson, Sutter, Beagle,Tanev and Benn are all healthy scratches tonight.

Personally, I would have rested EP as well. He came to camp in great shape, does not need "practice games" to get his focus back as he is always focused and, based on his last game, his timing looks good. Even apart from the risk of injury it is a long season and I would give him as much rest as possible. I also would have rested Edler and Hughes.

As for Gaudette, I was hoping he would not play on the grounds that he was on the team. But he is playing again. I guess he has to be one of the best guys on the ice just to stay in consideration for a spot. Personally, I think it is a no-brainer to keep him. If he is sent down the party line "we play the guys who earn it" would look ridiculous. It is never completely true given the realities of the waiver wire, but Gaudette has earned a spot on the team. His 5-on-5 defense has actually been good. He has not been good on the PK, but the Canucks have two very good forward PK combos without him (some mix of Beagle, Sutter, Loui, and Motte) and don't need him in that role.

There have been plenty of rumours about Benning working the trade wire either i) in case Gaudette is good enough to make some else like Sutter expendable or ii) as Per says, just to make room for Gaudette by trading a guy who is currently waiver-eligible like Goldy or maybe Motte or Schaller or even Virtanen if the right deal can be reached.  But my view is that no trade is necessary to keep Gaudette. The Canucks could go with 7 Ds and maybe Brock will start the season on IR. And I would keep Gaudette over Goldy or Schaller even if one of those guys did have to be waived. At this time of year, I think both would clear.

Anyway, the team is using tonight as a final opportunity for a lot of guys to prove their case to stay or go (having rope as bownky says). It is interesting that even Gravoc, Brisebois and Chatfield are in the line-up although I am guessing that is so other guys can rest rather than because they are in the conversation for spots on the big team.

But MacEwen, Virtanen, Schaller, Goldy, Motte, and Eriksson, along with Gaudette, all have another test tonight. I would have thought that Leivo is also fighting for a spot but the buzz seems to be that he is in. Beiga seems to safe as 7th man given the injury to Fantenberg, even if the Canucks do keep only 7 healthy Ds, but I think he also needs to show something.

Anway, let's hope the Canucks finish on a positive note in terms of the score and without any more injuries.

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Traditionally, a lot of teams play their expected starting line-up in the final preseason game.

The Canucks are not doing that. Horvat, Miller, Pearson, Sutter, Beagle,Tanev and Benn are all healthy scratches tonight.

I think back to back might have more to do with that.