The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] 9/26 Canucks vs Coyotes @ 7:00 PM

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

17 minutes ago, mj vic said:

Jake reminds me of when Kassian played for us. A power forward who never played to his potential 

Even if there’s only a small chance he reaches his potential here Id rather bank on that than keeping Eriksson and Schaller who will both for sure be gone at the end of their contracts, if not sooner.

Same thing with Goldobin. They can both start the season in the press box, but we can’t just be dumping young guys. We have time until Podkolzin and Hoglander are ready to wait and be absolutely sure with those two.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

I don’t think Jake is going anywhere.

its been mentioned before.  Forget his draft position.  He’s good value for a 15 goal scoring take way machine on the third line. 

Loui, schaller, Goldie ... none are safe.

Gaudette is a tough call.  Keep him at Center?  IMHO that will saddle Bo with more face off duty and less offensive deployment.  I don’t think Green will trust Gaud enough to free up Bo. 

Put it him on the wing?  Maybe not the best option for his long term develoment.

hate to say it.. I can see 88 starting in the AHL.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Trying doesn't count at this point.  Trying to sell cars at a car lot ( for example) wont help you keep ur job. At some point the numbers have to speak for themselves.  Jake Virtanen isnt selling any cars . 

Hey I totally agree.... except hes a 15-20 goal scorer in shape.  

I wasnt sending him warm and fuzzies.... I'm just sayin atm his issue isn't compete...  his issue is he pulled a big country Reeves over the summer and now is brutally underperforming....  they will be patient get him into shape and stick it to him at contract time.  That's what they'll do

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Perhaps. But I think we will live to regret that. 

I could be wrong, but I still believe he will get there. He’s still young. Bertuzzi developed late. Kassian “got it” late. I think Virtanen will eventually get there as well. I’d prefer it be in the blue and green. 

But where do you put him right now? Everyone outplayed him but goldy.

I suppose you could keep him as a 13th forward and put him on the 4th line once in a while.

Anybody see Jake Virtanen???

He seems to be lost... anybody seen him on the ice???

Guy seems to think he can slide around invisibly and still be assured a place on the team just because he won't likely clear waivers and will get picked up.

But he is going to be sitting in the pressbox on a permanent basis if he doesn't smarten up.

Either that or right now Jimbo is on the phone trying to get the best deal he can for him so he can make a place for Gaudette.

Gaudette should be a lock for this team... except for the fact he doesn't have to clear waivers.

But I'm betting Jimbo will send Gaudette down.... but only until he can unload someone in a trade.

Jake better hope he's not in the gunsights.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

I don’t think Jake is going anywhere.

its been mentioned before.  Forget his draft position.  He’s good value for a 15 goal scoring take way machine on the third line. 

Loui, schaller, Goldie ... none are safe.

Gaudette is a tough call.  Keep him at Center?  IMHO that will saddle Bo with more face off duty and less offensive deployment.  I don’t think Green will trust Gaud enough to free up Bo. 

Put it him on the wing?  Maybe not the best option for his long term develoment.

hate to say it.. I can see 88 starting in the AHL.

There are other options. With JT Miller on Bo's line, he has already taken a bunch of face offs to relieve Bo of them. You could play Baer with Gaudette in the centre and Sutter on the wing. Then Sutter could also take face offs. Lots of options to keep Gaudette up since he has clearly earned it. I was against it for the most part until the last couple games as it was an easy decision to send Gaud down with no waivers. 

Now I think the Canucks must keep him. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Ya but what do we do with him. He’s been outplayed by most of the guys competing for the bottom 6. Keep him in the press box. 

Don’t want to see him go tbh, but knowing that this camp was going to be competitive af, he disappointed me.

I'm a big jv fan..... he disappointed the hell outta me.

But we wont give away a asset for free or cheap because were pissed at him.

What we will do though is skate him and dryland him into the ground until hes ready to go

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

But where do you put him right now? Everyone outplayed him but goldy.

I suppose you could keep him as a 13th forward and put him on the 4th line once in a while.

That’s exactly what I would do. 4th line winger with some time in the press box. I would also be making sure he got extra on ice and dry land training to bring his fitness level up to where it needs to be. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

11 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Schaller and Eriksson hopefully get waived. Greener has proven he’s not afraid to waive veterans for young players. 

It's a safe bet that no one will pick up Eriksson's $6m contract while he is on waivers so it is all but guaranteed he is getting sent down.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Snapshot85 said:

Hey I totally agree.... except hes a 15-20 goal scorer in shape.  

I wasnt sending him warm and fuzzies.... I'm just sayin atm his issue isn't compete...  his issue is he pulled a big country Reeves over the summer and now is brutally underperforming....  they will be patient get him into shape and stick it to him at contract time.  That's what they'll do

He had 10 goals once and 15 goals once. He is not a 20 goal scorer. Saying that is insincere imo.  Could he hit 15 again? Maybe. Saying he could get 30% more is stretching it since he had a crap pre season. 

He could...but no need for exaggeration imo.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Snapshot85 said:

I'm a big jv fan..... he disappointed the hell outta me.

But we wont give away a asset for free or cheap because were pissed at him.

What we will do though is skate him and dryland him into the ground until hes ready to go

Same, but if he makes the team he’s going to have to start from the bottom again. 13th man or 4th line. Been outplayed by almost everyone in camp.

Hopefully he gets it together. Been defending him for years.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For the record, I think a lot of us didn't think GM JB had the guts to cut Sam Gagner last year. I think he set precedent with move which will allow him to cut LE this year. He will make it all warm and fuzzy like trading him back to Sweden for some $6,000,000 worth of meatballs.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

He had 10 goals once and 15 goals once. He is not a 20 goal scorer. Saying that is insincere imo.  Could he hit 15 again? Maybe. Saying he could get 30% more is stretching it since he had a crap pre season. 

He had 15 last year .... would have scored  18 over 80 games..... he has scored more goals each year over the last 3 years...   his trendline is 20 goals.... but we can say 10-15 goal scorer . Dont change the fact they ain't gonna waive him...  or trade him for cheap. Wont happen 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

There are other options. With JT Miller on Bo's line, he has already taken a bunch of face offs to relive Bo of them. You could play Baer with Gaudette in the cenre and Sutter on the wing. Then Sutter could also take face offs. Lots of options to keep Gaudette up since he has clearly earned it. I was against it for the most part until the last couple games as it was an easy decision to send Gaud down with no waivers. 

Now I think the Canucks must keep him. 

Yeah, I agree from an emotional perspective.  He clearly has earned a shot.  It also provides an example for other young guys to show that the org will reward players who come in and light it up.

that said ... knowing how Green operates I think he wants Sutter as a c on that third line .

that plus the glut of non waiver eligible players ... the only way I see gaud sticking is on the wing.  Maybe they can give him some Center duty occasionally I don’t know.

but hell yeah the kid looks like he is at another level this year. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, HomeBrew said:

For the record, I think a lot of us didn't think GM JB had the guts to cut Sam Gagner last year. I think he set precedent with move which will allow him to cut LE this year. He will make it all warm and fuzzy like trading him back to Sweden for some $6,000,000 worth of meatballs.

DAMNIT!!

Now I am hungry.  :shock:

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

A bunch of his goals last year didn't require a whole lot of skill either. I remember quite a few of them being empty netters. 

• Cheers 1