The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Keto Thread

Roger Neilsons Towel

A place to post about Keto. 

Successes, Failures, Recipes, etc.

Ketogenic diet

The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-proteinlow-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control (refractory) epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Normally, the carbohydrates contained in food are converted into glucose, which is then transported around the body and is particularly important in fueling brain function. However, if little carbohydrate remains in the diet, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source. An elevated level of ketone bodies in the blood, a state known as ketosis, leads to a reduction in the frequency of epileptic seizures.[1] Around half of children and young people with epilepsy who have tried some form of this diet saw the number of seizures drop by at least half, and the effect persists even after discontinuing the diet.[2] Some evidence indicates that adults with epilepsy may benefit from the diet, and that a less strict regimen, such as a modified Atkins diet, is similarly effective.[1] Potential side effects may include constipationhigh cholesterol, growth slowing, acidosis, and kidney stones.[3]

The original therapeutic diet for paediatric epilepsyprovides just enough protein for body growth and repair, and sufficient calories[Note 1] to maintain the correct weight for age and height. The classic therapeutic ketogenic diet was developed for treatment of paediatric epilepsy in the 1920s and was widely used into the next decade, but its popularity waned with the introduction of effective anticonvulsant medications. This classic ketogenic diet contains a 4:1 ratio by weight of fat to combined protein and carbohydrate. This is achieved by excluding high-carbohydrate foods such as starchy fruits and vegetables, bread, pasta, grains, and sugar, while increasing the consumption of foods high in fat such as nuts, cream, and butter.[1] Most dietary fat is made of molecules called long-chain triglycerides (LCTs). However, medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs)—made from fatty acids with shorter carbon chains than LCTs—are more ketogenic. A variant of the classic diet known as the MCT ketogenic diet uses a form of coconut oil, which is rich in MCTs, to provide around half the calories. As less overall fat is needed in this variant of the diet, a greater proportion of carbohydrate and protein can be consumed, allowing a greater variety of food choices.[4][5]

In the mid-1990s, Hollywood producer Jim Abrahams, whose son's severe epilepsy was effectively controlled by the diet, created the Charlie Foundation to promote it. Publicity included an appearance on NBC's Dateline programme and ...First Do No Harm (1997), a made-for-television film starring Meryl Streep. The foundation sponsored a multicentre research study, the results of which—announced in 1996—marked the beginning of renewed scientific interest in the diet.[1]

Possible therapeutic uses for the ketogenic diet have been studied for many additional neurological disorders, some of which include: Alzheimer's diseaseamyotrophic lateral sclerosisautismbrain cancer, headache, neurotrauma, pain, Parkinson's disease, and sleep disorders.[6]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks for the Idea Roger

I have the book right on my couch...…..I would love to hear your stories and have you share your links, before I try it

Honestly I’m more of a tech guy than a book guy. I’ve had my success from a couple of things. 

1.) I use an App called “Carb Manager” on my iPhone. I believe it is available for Android as well. Makes it idiot proof. I weigh and log absolutely everything I eat. Keeps me on track. 

2.) I test my Ketones with urine strips every morning and adjust my macros as needed. 

3.) In 6 months I have never cheated even once. This is not the kind of diet where you can have cheat days. The key to being successful at Keto is discipline. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Honestly I’m more of a tech guy than a book guy. I’ve had my success from a couple of things. 

1.) I use an App called “Carb Manager” on my iPhone. I believe it is available for Android as well. Makes it idiot proof. I weigh and log absolutely everything I eat. Keeps me on track. 

2.) I test my Ketones with urine strips every morning and adjust my macros as needed. 

3.) In 6 months I have never cheated even once. This is not the kind of diet where you can have cheat days. The key to being successful at Keto is discipline. 

You can now get a breath Keto meter that's reusable and more accurate then the strips.  I picked one up for $70 at a Keto health food store near me in Mississauga if anyone is in Ontario.  A lot of people find Keto hard at first but if you stick with it it becomes easy.  

I went off Keto for a month this summer its was terrible, only time I cheated in 3 years.  I'm kind of glad I did it reminded me how terrible carbs are for you and how bad they make you feel.  I'll talk about this more when I have more time,  but if anyone has any questions about Keto I would love to help if I can.  I'm not an expert but I have read and listen to many many books articles and podcasts on the subject.  The benefits of Keto are truly amazing!! 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Monty said:

Really?

Keto was used to treat Diabetes a hundred years ago and was forgotten about when insulin was discovered.  Epilepsy was another thing it was used for but was largely forgotten about with the introduction of new drugs, however keto is still the only way they know how to control certain types of Epilepsy to this day.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, thrago said:

You can now get a breath Keto meter that's reusable and more accurate then the strips.  I picked one up for $70 at a Keto health food store near me in Mississauga if anyone is in Ontario.  A lot of people find Keto hard at first but if you stick with it it becomes easy.  

I went off Keto for a month this summer its was terrible, only time I cheated in 3 years.  I'm kind of glad I did it reminded me how terrible carbs are for you and how bad they make you feel.  I'll talk about this more when I have more time,  but if anyone has any questions about Keto I would love to help if I can.  I'm not an expert but I have read and listen to many many books articles and podcasts on the subject.  The benefits of Keto are truly amazing!! 

I like the sounds of that Keto Breath Meter. I’ll look into that. Thanks for the tip!

Just now, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I like the sounds of that Keto Breath Meter. I’ll look into that. Thanks for the tip!

No problem I bought one a couple years ago that was like $300 and didn't work very well the new ones are cheap and work very well.

• Cheers 1

I have following Dr Berg's Healthy Keto and will continue to do so because it's working well for me so far. I do intermittent fasting as well which also helps. I didn't have a weight issue (but lost some anyway lol) My problems were autoimmune issues with my thyroid and inflammation everywhere. Felt like I had the flu for the last 8 years. Been doing it around 6 months with noticeable improvement in being able to fight sickness and a lot less inflammation so I'm sold on it. The other thing that helped is having Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar every day in my water, improved my digestion dramatically which was a huge problem.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

never eat bread or pasta again tho? Or Birthday cake!? That would be impossible for me! I need to cut the pounds tho...

You’d think so, but after the initial difficulty it becomes second nature. Also there are Keto friendly breads and cakes. Some of them are pretty damn good! Expensive ingredients though. But so worth it!

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

never eat bread or pasta again tho? Or Birthday cake!? That would be impossible for me! I need to cut the pounds tho...

You would think so but like I said you get used to it after a couple months.  But as a bonus to being keto you and eat about all the bacon you would ever want.

2 minutes ago, gerry35 said:

I have following Dr Berg's Healthy Keto and will continue to do so because it's working well for me so far. I do intermittent fasting as well which also helps. I didn't have a weight issue (but lost some anyway lol) My problems were autoimmune issues with my thyroid and inflammation everywhere. Felt like I had the flu for the last 8 years. Been doing it around 6 months with noticeable improvement in being able to fight sickness and a lot less inflammation so I'm sold on it. The other thing that helped is having Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar every day in my water, improved my digestion dramatically which was a huge problem.

I really like his videos. Very informative. 

• Upvote 1