The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

Schaller was only up near the end of the season not all season. So overall states for the whole season do not paint the appropriate picture.

It's by differential.  Total less Pettersson and Horvat - doesn't matter who made the bottom 6.  It's also a per 60 rate.  It's a proxy.

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

They should have waited until Roussel was ready to return. Baertchi can help with secondary scoring until then and even help the powerplay. 

My thoughts exactly.

Theres a lot of question marks throughout the lineup right now. At least Baertschi is good to put up points when healthy.

If some of those question marks don’t pan out they’re going to look pretty silly dumping a 30-40 point winger that can play on almost every line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, mll said:

The Canucks apparently did not do particularly well last season compared to the rest of the league when their top 2 Cs were not on the ice.  

This chart was again posted by Thomas Drance.  They call it a proxy of bottom-6 scoring.  They take goals for and against and remove the numbers of the two most used Cs on each team.  On the Canucks it would be without Pettersson and Horvat.  It's in per 60 so actual counts might not be as ugly.

An observation to the chart was: "Offensively, it isn’t a shock that their two checking lines were bottom-five in the league for goals-for per 60. But the real issue is that they compounded their scoring woes by allowing 2.71 goals-against per 60; only Ottawa, Florida, Philadelphia and New Jersey leaked goals at a worse rate."

The article goes in detail with graphs and numbers to show that it's not just actual numbers but also expected numbers that aren't particularly pretty.  

Sutter only played 26 games last season so he should help improve those numbers, although last season he was not as solid as in the past but he might have been playing through injury.  Gaudette was a rookie trying to find his footing.  So that explains part of the struggles and it should be better this season.  

They are using that chart to argue that the Canucks roster construction is outdated with teams moving to 3 scoring lines.  Most teams talk of how the best way to defend is to play in the offensive zone but you need to be able to make plays and maintain possession to force the other team to defend.

dl.png

Has our bottom six really changed much?  We had the chance to move guys like Baer down to the bottom six and have some puck control.  Is Tanev going to be blocking shots and getting injured because the bottom six still lacks skill?

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Baer, hopefully, will not get claimed.  However, why take the risk, when we know there is no way LE gets claimed, right?  Loui is sitting in the press box anyway.  Baer could just as well sit in the press box.  

I gotta point out.... Mr. Aqua has his hands all over the hockey operations and since he's already paid LE so much $... he wouldn't wanna see LE in the press box much. He would rather take a chance on letting Baer get claimed to shed some payroll $! Makes perfect sense to me from his business standpoint... 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Baer, hopefully, will not get claimed.  However, why take the risk, when we know there is no way LE gets claimed, right?  Loui is sitting in the press box anyway.  Baer could just as well sit in the press box.  

There is a reason why Loui is still here, the canucks want to hope he can build up any value for himself , which will help the team and any trade that comes in the next 2 years

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So does blue indicate 1st round exit? 

Nashville's 3rd line with Bonino was solid but their 2nd line was dreadful.  This only paints a picture of the bottom of the lineup.  Colorado had nothing past their top-line but they were just so dominant.  The Blues were break-even so anything they get out of their top-6 helps them.  The more you are in the red the more your other top-2 lines have to compensate.  

11 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

They should have waited until Roussel was ready to return. Baertchi can help with secondary scoring until then and even help the powerplay. 

They don't need him on the PP. They're full up without him.

They do however need some players to PK until Roussel returns.

Just now, DeNiro said:

My thoughts exactly.

Theres a lot of question marks throughout the lineup right now. At least Baertschi is good to put up points when healthy.

If some of those question marks don’t pan out they’re going to look pretty silly dumping a 30-40 point winger that can play on almost every line.

Yep, 100% agree. I was okay with our wing depth, today I'm not and I don't understand what logic management is using. More scoring depth is always better. Always. We have plenty of guys that can kill penalties.

Just now, mll said:

Nashville's 3rd line with Bonino was solid but their 2nd line was dreadful.  This only paints a picture of the bottom of the lineup.  Colorado had nothing past their top-line but they were just so dominant.  The Blues were break-even so anything they get out of their top-6 helps them.  The more you are in the red the more your other top-2 lines have to compensate.  

I know I was just kidding around with you, I appreciate your posts. 

But any chart with Sutter in it last year needs to be scrapped. He played the entire year - such as it was - injured. Schaller coming off wrist surgery. I don't think you can take anything of value for this years team from that chart, or really anything with Sutter in it from last year. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As ON was kind enough to point out below, Roussel also did that 38.5% ozone starts in a hard minute, match up role. Baer would be expected to match that production in the bottom 6, in a similar role (vs his cushier, top 6 with 64.8% ozone starts that he enjoyed last year).

So Baer at 0.54PPG in a cushy top 6 role vs Roussel at 0.48PPG in a much harder match up (and PK) role. I know who I'm picking for the bottom 6 role. Seems the team does too.

See above.

Well you're using stats from Roussel's career year at 29 years old. I think it's safe to say that he's hard pressed to match that moving forward. He sits at 0.36PPG over his career compared to Baertschi's 0.48 PPG. Also, Roussel is brought in to be gritty, physical, hard to play against, gets under the opponents skin and penalty kill - which he can do just fine on the 4th line. He takes over Motte's spot, not Baertschi's.

Lastly, and most importantly, Roussel isn't back for another few months. So when he finally comes back, they can evaluate who's spot he's going to take then. I actually doubt that JB and co even had Roussel in mind when they decided to waive Baertschi. It's just a narrative fans are trying to push as far as I'm concerned. It makes 0 sense to me that they would have Baertschi and Roussel in the same bucket - and then choose Roussel over Baertschi when Roussel is months away from practicing.