The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

52 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Honestly I love Baer but I get why he is one chosen. 81games in 2years and he still got 2years at 3.667m

that's a decent amount of money and cmon guys benning defo looked for a trade

Yeah but if he is injured all the time you just IR him and it only costs real dollars and not cap dollars.

Baer was either going to get 50 points this year or spend half the year on IR. Either way, the Canucks would have got good value from him. 

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

This is the key. The players who Baertschi is "better" than generally do what Green likes in his bottom 6 better (even Eriksson). 

Part of this is clearing cap/contract.

I'm not sure one fairly solid camp undos all the nothing Schaller provided last season.

Course we all know how Stannis ended up in that series.:P

12 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

People can be as upset at they like, but I have to say it is awfully nice to be the team that is shedding players capable of playing in the NHL, rather than the team eagerly hoping to claim them.

Not to crap over the positive outlook but teams that are coming off multiple championships like Chicago and LA in years past should be the ones suffering cap casualties, not arguably the worst team in the league over the past 4 seasons.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Darius said:

Playing devil's advocate here.

Baer was drafted in 2011 and has never played a full season in the NHL  Prior to the concussion he had durability issues..  Career high is 35 points.  Career games played high is 69.  Suffered major concussion last year.

Top 6 has needed an influx of toughness and durability for years.  They went out and got it, now Baer is a casualty.

You do realize Ferland has had his career plagued with concussion issues as well, right?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They're not THAT bad up front.  It's behind the blueline (D & G) that stinks worse than when Alf 'cuts the cheese'.:P

Yeah, looking at their depth chart, they seem okay down the middle. It's on the wing where the roster turns into a veritable "who's that?" of players. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

and cruel.

This story may not be over yet. If Baer is taken, then it clears needed cap, which in todays NHL costs you to move. If he's not taken, then the cap clearing value is only 1.075 mil and it wouldn't surprise me to see Baer recalled and Loui waved if the cap saving is equivalent.

People need to chill and wait to see how this plays out. 

Even if there's more to it, it's an insulting move to a very highly respected player in the dressing room

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

You do realize Ferland has had his career plagued with concussion issues as well, right?

he has still played at least 70 games in each of the past 4 seasons.  even so, top 6 needed to get tougher hence Ferland and Miller.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Not to crap over the positive outlook but teams that are coming off multiple championships like Chicago and LA in years past should be the ones suffering cap casualties, not arguably the worst team in the league over the past 4 seasons.

I guess they don’t see it as a casualty if they weren’t going to give him playing time. 

Look at it this way. Any time given to Baer would be at the expense of younger players with potential getting that ice time instead. 

Cleary they weren't as worried about the logjam on the 4th line. 

• Cheers 1