The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

1 minute ago, captainhorvat said:

Everyone relax Baerschi was prob only a few games away from getting concussed again. With all the injuries hes had hes just to fragile. I bet he will clear waivers.

So Baer takes a top six winger spot from our developing guys in Utica?  I’d say Loui and Schaller would be bottom six, if they dress at all, in Utica.  They would take the harder matchup and PK minutes too.  Sending Baer over Loui makes zero sense.  This was an owner getting involved.  

• Wat 4

3 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Clearly they don’t think he’s NHL ready...  I doubt he gets claimed.  He’ll start in Utica...  and be fantastic depth for us if he finds his game.  

Sounds like Ike they don’t like him as a bottom 6er being that the physicality isn’t there.  Shocked it’s Sven and not Loui...  but also not.  LE plays both wings and kills penalties...  but I don’t think he’s in the opening night lineup either

Yes, Loui plays matchup and PK.  Why keep him here to sit in the press box, and send Baer down, who only lays a skilled role?  Have Baer sit. 

Baer & Goldy gone off the front and Bulldog off the back end. None are a surprise. 

I always look look at where the team will be when in serious contention in 3 years;

Goldy: had to make it as a top 6 and he was not. Times up he was given lots of time, depth has overtaken him.

Baer: this is a hard one. Baer, like Goldy, has to be top 6. Bottom line is his health and frankly style of play. Gutsy but wingers have to be able to take the heavy going. Baer can play top 6, just not a serious contender.

Biega: Love this guy. Huge team player with a big heart. His age is the issue in 3 years and his size in front of the net. He can be moved.  

Ithink there is room for growth in Leivo and Gaudette if they put them on the LW. IMHO Schaller is not in this discussion. He is 4th line if they don,t move him. Bottom line is there are players in Utica who should have a op for NHL games.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So Baer takes a top six winger spot from our developing guys in Utica?  I’d say Loui and Schaller would be bottom six, if they dress at all, in Utica.  They would take the harder matchup and PK minutes too.  Sending Baer over Loui makes zero sense.  This was an owner getting involved.  

I agree that sending Baer over Loui makes zero sense but i feel Baerschi is just to fragile now and dont see him being a 15-20 goal guy on the 3rd line. Keeping Eriksson could be a last ditch effort to showcase and find a trade partner for him. Schaller looked good throughout training camp and preseason. Coming in he was prepared for camp and knew what to expect. I think he will have a solid contract year for us. He looked alot faster.

• Wat 1

Just now, captainhorvat said:

I agree that sending Baer over Loui makes zero sense but i feel Baerschi is just to fragile now and dont see him being a 15-20 goal guy on the 3rd line. Keeping Eriksson could be a last ditch effort to showcase and find a trade partner for him. Schaller looked good throughout training camp and preseason. Coming in he was prepared for camp and knew what to expect. I think he will have a solid contract year for us. He looked alot faster.

I’m wondering if putting Baer and Goldy on waivers now might be in hopes they might actually get claimed? 

ferland pettersson boeser

pearson horvat miller

virtanen sutter guadette 

roussel beagle leivo

motte eriksson 

edler myers

hughes tanev 

benn stecher 

schenn 

marky

demko

first call ups forwards  -  macewen goldy  gad lind

defense - juolevi brisebois 

as soon as roussel  is back schallers being waived 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Maybe not right now, but once the season starts and teams start seeing where they need to tinker, something would have come up, I'm sure.

Still on page 14 of this most wonderfully intellectual read through but thought I would state an opinion off this.

Sometimes players have no value in a trade until they clear waviers. When/if he clears then a trade can be made without losing picks.

Teams do not want to trade for a player then lose them on waivers ala Benning's little  mistake last year with that goalie thing.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, xereau said:

The problem with the "Forsling isn't anything" take is that he was a great pick in the 5th round whose value only went up post-draft.

At the time he was traded his value was higher than where he was picked.

Benning should get credit for making the pick, and even trading the player when his value was high if he thought he wasn't going to amount to much, unfortunately what he traded for was even less.

Yet again, we come to asset management.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’m wondering if putting Baer and Goldy on waivers now might be in hopes they might actually get claimed? 

I highly doubt Baerschi and that cap hit gets claimed. 

Look at it this way, when someone gets injured in our top 6. Baerschi will be a great call up. Our depth looks pretty good going into the new season.

• Upvote 4

Shouldnt we be isolating this debate to the Left Wingers on the team?  Baer wouldnt have been the top line LW, that leaves second line LW and third line LW.   I think Roussel is a lock for third line LW. 

So the org thinks Pearson is > Baer?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

Shouldnt we be isolating this debate to the Left Wingers on the team?  Baer wouldnt have been the top line LW, that leaves second line LW and third line LW.   I think Roussel is a lock for third line LW. 

So the org thinks Pearson is > Baer?

Benning has talked of Pearson-Horvat as a line all summer and how they had great chemistry.  Baertschi was out before camp started.  

• Upvote 4

Just now, mll said:

Benning has been shopping Baertschi for several weeks now.

Shopping and taking calls are two different things. In other words, one is not like the other. What's this source of yours?

The only one I can definitely remember seeing is "taking calls".

• Cheers 1