The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

4 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I’m probably the hugest fan of Baer here.  He’s probably a 40-50 point guy when healthy I find it absolutely outrageous that he’d get waived.  I would waive So many other guys over Baertschi.  I’m very disappointed because I think this guy is a top 6 player that the Canucks are giving up on for no reason 

I'm assuming that he goes to Utica, builds up his fitness to game standards, and then comes back after the first injury or when they finally move/dump Schaller and LE.

I think the  injury he had affected his ability to train in the early summer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The only team I could see claiming Sven Baertschi is Columbus. They have the cap to do it, have the roster spots (they didn't exactly replace Matt Duchene, Artemi Panarin, or Ryan Dzingel), and would fit for them. Do they actually do it? Probably not but that's the only team I see Baertschi going too if he's claimed. 

Goldy probably clears.

Biega probably gets claimed. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Stifle you, and your multi-dimensional thinking.

Nope.

No, this is a business decision and hockey decision, nothing to do with character.  If they traded Baertschi for Ho Sang then yes, it would be equivalent.

Bottom line -- this is an example of how it takes gumption to make what (they feel) is the best decision for the team.  If you let emotions get in the way of that, players like Higgins would have still been on the team until their contracts ended.  Making tough decisions is what they get paid for and are responsible to do.

this isn't a character move. That was last years NHL. Lower cap than anyone predicted. A BS cap recapture. Not a bottom 6 guy. Thats enough reason to go on without bringing up character. And the guy was given a great contract here, better than he would have got anywhere else. I don't feel bad for Sven at all. 

Just now, Ossi Vaananen said:

Watching JB dodge that call at the end of the presser has me thinking it's another GM looking to trade. RAMPANT SPECULATION of course.

I love rampant speculation, way better than that regular speculation crap.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Benning has talked of Pearson-Horvat as a line all summer and how they had great chemistry.  Baertschi was out before camp started.  

I think you hit it on the head.

Pearson had better be good from the outset though.  His period with the Pens was not memorable, and he wasn't really that great at points last year. No sign of him in the pre-season, did he even play one full game?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stelar said:

He is if we have a top 9 of offence and bottom 3 of shut down.

While I like that idea, I do not think our team is ready to go in that direction yet.

I think there are going to be some lapses from guys like Hughes and Myers along with some questions about our goalies and if they can have a continuation of the second half of the season. 

I think 2 O and 2 D lines better suits where we are and allows us to match higher powered teams. Here is to hoping for what you are saying sooner rather than later though.

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

The only team I could see claiming Sven Baertschi is Columbus. They have the cap to do it, have the roster spots (they didn't exactly replace Matt Duchene, Artemi Panarin, or Ryan Dzingel), and would fit for them. Do they actually do it? Probably not but that's the only team I see Baertschi going too if he's claimed. 

Goldy probably clears.

Biega probably gets claimed. 

I think you are right about Biega.  He had a bit of a breakout year last year, and for some reason this was forgotten.  Sad, tbh.

• Upvote 1

First off, the Canucks always refer to the lineup as top 9 because they want 3 scoring lines. They went out of their way to point that out during media availability a few weeks ago. So to say Roussel is a better fit on the 3rd line than Baertschi is asinine. Baertschi is much more competent in creating offense - which is what we are severely lacking -  than Roussel. Baer is an offensive guy, with solid 2way play. Roussel was brought in for a different role, and he can serve that role just fine playing on the 4th line. Especially with how much time he spends in the penalty box, I'd rather he takes his liberties while he's on the 4th line. Secondly, with the inevitable injuries to the top 6 - who would you want to to play up the lineup, Baertschi or Roussel?

This is management choosing Schaller, or Motte over Baertschi. As much as I like Motte, there's no competition between him and Baer. I don't even want to discuss Schaller. It is a headscratcher for sure. This would have been my lineup going into the season:

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Miller

Baertschi - Gaudette/Sutter - Sutter/Gaudette

Leivo - Beagle - Virtanen

Motte/Eriksson

Waive Schaller. When Roussel returns from LTIR, waive Motte or Eriksson, or make a trade, or allow injuries to dictate your decision.

1 minute ago, gameburn said:

I think you hit it on the head.

Pearson had better be good from the outset though.  His period with the Pens was not memorable, and he wasn't really that great at points last year. No sign of him in the pre-season, did he even play one full game?

Pearson being seen as a better PP option than Baertschi was telling that they had already made up their minds.  Pearson's career high on the PP is 8pts in 200 minutes (3rd most TOI among Fs in LA that season).  

Pearson played 4 games. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, mll said:

Pearson being seen as a better PP option than Baertschi was telling that they had already made up their minds.  Pearson's career high on the PP is 8pts in 200 minutes (3rd most TOI among Fs in LA that season).  

Pearson played 4 games. 

Big risk in going for Pearson imo.  Baertschi, barring injury, was on the upswing.  Pearson?

Just now, gameburn said:

I think you are right about Biega.  He had a bit of a breakout year last year, and for some reason this was forgotten.  Sad, tbh.

I am also confident that the Canucks have there eyes on a defenseman that's on this waiver wire list.

Rumor has it that they want Luke Schenn back, so I wouldn't be shocked if we claimed him.

We do have organizational ties to Forsling but that seems doubtful. 

If they want more skill, they could claim Josh Ho-Sang....

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Not the choices I would have made. 2 grinding lines puts too much pressure to score on a certain 20 year old centre.

not sure Edmonton has the cap to take Baertschi but he would instantly become one of their better wingers. 

They are very close to the 50 contract limit too.