The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I heard that Pettersson wants to sign long term with the Canucks.

RAMPANT SPECULATION of course.

I'm taking this as gospel and will cite it as a source from now on!

thanks Dazzle!! This may make me look stupid but it's worth the chance that I look like an absolute genius!

(thank god for spell check I almost spelled genius wrong!)

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Ferland-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Miller
Leivo-Sutter-Virtanen
Schaller-Beagle-Motte

Edler-Myers
Hughes-Tanev
Benn-Stecher

Extra: Gaudette, Eriksson, Fantenberg

That lineup makes sense under the circumstances.

If Ferland weren't healthy, I could see Baertschi stepping onto Horvat's wing in the interim, but it's hard to see where he fits otherwise, particularly once Roussel is back in the mix. In a sense it was probably between Leivo and Baer for that 3LW role - and in the end, Leivo is probably the better option to move to the 4th line when Roussel returns.

Schaller outperformed LE - so I'd agree with inserting him in the lineup over LE - at least until Roussel returns - at which point they have a pretty solid four lines imo. Schaller is pure placeholder at this point.

That lineup seems to make it pretty clear that as long as that lineup is relatively healthy, Eriksson's days are numbered.

I just don’t see JB waiving Goldobin and Baer just to keep Gaudette in the press box. Gaudette slots into the lineup somewhere, even if it’s not his preferred Center position.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

yeah - I thnk it was pretty clear when the acquired Pearson, Miller and signed Ferland that they were seeking a heavier/harder LW  group - and that Baertschi was in tight. 

It's not really surprising that he's on the edge, particularly with those 3 healthy (if Ferland wasn't ready, Baertschi probably isn't waived yet).

Ferland, Miller (although versatile/can play any F position), Pearson, Roussel, Baertschi, LE, (Leivo - the one RHS in that group = more versatile as well), Schaller....

the optics of being waived before LE and Schaller might be a bit misleading.  I

The other reality is that Baer's cap space has been spent elswhere - on those other LW - and Roussel.   If he's claimed, his cap goes to Roussel when he returns.

I think it's clear they want to be a harder team to play against.  Most of us here really like Baertschi, but where was he going to fit/play?

You pretty much describe the situation.  Granlund, Hutton... between money and being hard to play against, I think you have pretty much caught their thinking.  I think they are gearing up for a playoff run.  If not this year, then next.  The third year will deliver Podkolzin who definitely fits the pattern you are talking about.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So if Gaudette stays up, and produces 70% of the points Baer did last year, are we all still freaking out? 

If Gaudette produces 40 points, I will chill out. I really hate to put this on him though. It's Benning's decision, not Gaudette's.

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Not the choices I would have made. 2 grinding lines puts too much pressure to score on a certain 20 year old centre.

not sure Edmonton has the cap to take Baertschi but he would instantly become one of their better wingers. 

It aint that simple imo.

2 'grinding' lines puts a lot more opportune minutes on the stick of a certain 20 year old - and reduces the need to score as much, as the team gives up less.

And when one of those 'grinder lines' has your 5th leading scorer (in 65 games), a center that has averaged 16 goals/82g throughout his career - as well as a few talented options to put at RW on that line (Virtanen, Gaudette) = it aint simply a 'grinder line'.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

yeah - I thnk it was pretty clear when the acquired Pearson, Miller and signed Ferland that they were seeking a heavier/harder LW  group - and that Baertschi was in tight. 

It's not really surprising that he's on the edge, particularly with those 3 healthy (if Ferland wasn't ready, Baertschi probably isn't waived yet).

Ferland, Miller (although versatile/can play any F position), Pearson, Roussel, Baertschi, LE, (Leivo - the one RHS in that group = more versatile as well), Schaller....

the optics of being waived before LE and Schaller might be a bit misleading.  I

The other reality is that Baer's cap space has been spent elswhere - on those other LW - and Roussel.   If he's claimed, his cap goes to Roussel when he returns.

I think it's clear they want to be a harder team to play against.  Most of us here really like Baertschi, but where was he going to fit/play?

How exactly does LE make us harder to play against than Baer?  

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

I just don’t see JB waiving Goldobin and Baer just to keep Gaudette in the press box. Gaudette slots into the lineup somewhere, even if it’s not his preferred Center position.

Remember when Boeser did not play the first game or two of the season when he first made the roster?

I'm not going to read too much into pencil lineups. 

I don't think we see Gaudette at center anytime soon on a healthy Canucks roster, but I won't be surprised if he's on the wing soon enough. 

Leivo Sutter Gaudette

Motte Beagle Virtanen

I think Schaller is a pure placeholder at this point.

I think the really difficult decisions (roster wise - not so much in terms of who is on the out = ie Schaller and LE)  comes when Roussel returns, if this lineup is healthy.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no not really. He'd be 3C in training, playing with Sutter. 

Yes, that's how I see it too.  But along the way he will play wing some of the time.  Actually having Gaudette at center and Sutter on the wing makes more sense.  Sutter is good on the wing.  Let's hope it's center we're talking about.

Just now, Alflives said:

He's not playing though!  If LE was so valuable in a defensive role, why is he sitting in the press box?

today. He has his place. Although I still wouldn't be surprised to see Loui get waived tomorrow as well. We'll see.

I guess I'm not broken up about this, I didn't want Baer on a 3 year deal in the 1st place. The chance of him playing 82 games was remote to being with. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Green keeping Eriksson merely as his whipping boy.

”You talk $h!t about me in the media. Let’s see how you like bag skates you meatball”

How about our owner said that LE has to stay, and Green (not wanting LE) will just sit LE in the press box?  I wonder if there could be a rift building between owner and coach?  

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

They don't play the same position, we could easily keep both, so that doesn't make sense to me.

AG and Sutter does make sense to me. AG can learn the job from Sutter this year and get handed some sheltered chances to take o-zone face offs. I don't see why they couldn't share C duties on the 3rd line. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Yes, that's how I see it too.  But along the way he will play wing some of the time.  Actually having Gaudette at center and Sutter on the wing makes more sense.  Sutter is good on the wing.  Let's hope it's center we're talking about.

Only on the offensive side of the game - imo the defensive side of the game is what will dictate Gaudette being a winger - which does not stop Gaudette from being creative, producing - if anything, it could free him up to be moreso playing wing, where he won't be engaged in those down low dzone battles - that will be Sutter's duty.  I also think it would be very surprising if Gaudette could improve enough in the faceoff circle to compete with Sutter in that sense, this soon (I'm very doubtful in that respect).  I think it makes more sense to leave Sutter where he is best, and let Gaudette develop without the pressure of 'bottom six' defensive center responsibilities.....And additionally, I don't share the mindset of folks who assume Gaudette is earmarked to be a 3C - who knows - he could exceed that potential as an upside winger.

• Upvote 2