The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

Just now, aGENT said:

BAER NEEDED TO BEAT FERLAND OR PEARSON FOR A SPOT.

WHILE ROUSSEL'S OUT WE NEED TO FILL IN WITH A BOTTOM 6 FORWARD, NOT A GUY WHO NEEDS CUSHY TOP 6 USAGE AS THOSE MINUTES WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO HIM.

Imo Baer did beat them. He's better than both of them. He had 4 points in 5 pre-season games. How was that worse than Ferland or Pearson? I think Jim made his decision about the top two lines before training camp began because Baertschi played better than both of them and still got the short end of the stick. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, -AJ- said:

Imo Baer did beat them. He's better than both of them. He had 4 points in 5 pre-season games. How was that worse than Ferland or Pearson? I think Jim made his decision about the top two lines before training camp began because Baertschi played better than both of them and still got the short end of the stick. 

*He had a 'better' preseason. Teams aren't deceided entirely on presseasons FWIW.

Ferland also had an awful flu and only played what, two games?

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Whatever.  From the trade deadline to season's end he scored 5 goals in 20 games - have it your way -  that's a 21 goal season projected over 82 games - better than the 16/82 he's averaged throughout his career as a shutdown center.  Wadr, that is damn good production from that role.  "Wow".

Oldnews, I wouldn't do this with anyone else but for the way you nitpick at everyone else, but he was acquired in the Summer.  That was his entire first season here.

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Oldnews, I wouldn't do this with anyone else but for the way you nitpick at everyone else, but he was acquired in the Summer.  That was his entire first season here.

Fair enough - it's not nitpicking - I should have said "full season" - but my point remains regardless - he is productive when he's in the lineup - he's no 'black hole' as you suggested - what he has been is injured - which aint the same wadr.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

His last three years project to 22, 22, and 28 goals. He consistently scores at a 20+ goal rate. 

but he's never done it. Rate is one thing, actually staying healthy and doing it is another. I suspect that played a big part in this too.  

Dunno, I think this is one of those agree to disagree things. Bear's an easy guy to like to so its going to be divisive until things play out a bit more until we can see the actual effect of todays move. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

BAER NEEDED TO BEAT FERLAND OR PEARSON FOR A SPOT.

WHILE ROUSSEL'S OUT WE NEED TO FILL IN WITH A BOTTOM 6 FORWARD, NOT A GUY WHO NEEDS CUSHY TOP 6 USAGE AS THOSE MINUTES WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO HIM.

lol I can't... You're arguing that taking a guy who creates offense out of the lineup on a team that is at the very bottom of the league in goals scored in the last 4 years aside from Vegas, for a grinder. I can't help you there...

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but he's never done it. Rate is one thing, actually staying healthy and doing it is another. I suspect that played a big part in this too.  

Dunno, I think this is one of those agree to disagree things. Bear's an easy guy to like to so its going to be divisive until things play out a bit more until we can see the actual effect of todays move. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head. His injury history almost certainly played a big part in this decision. I'm ever hopeful he can be healthy again, but I guess Benning & Co. don't think it'll happen. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Loui, Motte, Sutter, Beagle, Bo, Gaudette, Jake, Miller....

Bo and Gaudette will hopefully get limited PK time. Gaudette was trialed in preseason, but he needs more time. The team likely wants Bo to focus on the offense and maybe some shutdown duties 5v5 being a scoring threat while playing against top players (see Bergeron). Jake hasn't seen any PK time yet, so would be a surprise if he's suddenly a regular. So that leaves Miller, Loui and Motte. Looks like between Loui, Motte and Schaller, someone is sitting out on any given night, therefore one less player in the lineup to draw from that group. Miller is similar to Bo in that I'm sure they prefer that he's more focused on the offense unless needed. It really makes Schaller one of the top go-to PK guys on the team at this moment.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Fair enough - it's not nitpicking - I should have said "full season" - but my point remains regardless - he is productive when he's in the lineup - he's no 'black hole' as you suggested - what he has been is injured - which aint the same wadr.

What do you think of his play making ability as a C?  I ve read the 'black hole' of offence before from many other posters .  Seems to me he is a good north south guy, someone that can pop 15-20 goals if healthy  but does he kill his wingers?  Thats where that notion comes from I think.  Seeing that there have been a revolving door of wingers maybe it makes things harder for him in terms of being a better setup guy.  Hes generally saddled with d zone starts too- makes things even harder.

I wouldnt mind seeing Gaudette in that third line C spot with Sutter on the wing perhaps....just for a few games at least.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head. His injury history almost certainly played a big part in this decision. I'm ever hopeful he can be healthy again, but I guess Benning & Co. don't think it'll happen. 

there's also the chance that they don't think he'll be claimed. If thats the case then at least there's the option of bringing him back if/when opportunity permits. Its going to get really interesting when Roussel is healthy too... who goes then? 

3 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

lol I can't... You're arguing that taking a guy who creates offense out of the lineup on a team that is at the very bottom of the league in goals scored in the last 4 years aside from Vegas, for a grinder. I can't help you there...

Not what I'm arguing at all. We added, Ferland, Miller and Pearson in the last 6'ish months. Pretty sure those guys (and Myers and Hughes etc) will help us 'create more offense'. They're taking Baer's cushy offensive minutes.

Baer does not suit a 60%+ dzone start, hard match up, PK role.

No role, no job.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FlyLow_ said:

PK did just fine when Schaller was in the press box all season last year.

We had Granlund last season. He's been replaced with Leivo who so far hasn't been on the PK much. Despite people's complaints, LE was also a big part of the PK, but he's likely going to have more limited time this year. Schaller actually finished off last season well and got more opportunity when Roussel went down (who we are without to start this year). Until Roussel's back, it looks like Schaller might be the go-to PK winger this year along with Motte.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there's also the chance that they don't think he'll be claimed. If thats the case then at least there's the option of bringing him back if/when opportunity permits. Its going to get really interesting when Roussel is healthy too... who goes then? 

I don't think much will have changed. I'd say Schaller, but they could've done that now, so I'm not sure what would change in 20 or 30 games from now outside of injuries. Maybe Sven scores a point a game in Utica and Schaller has two points in 30 games. Is that enough to change things? I'm not sure anyone, because their priorities are evidently different than I thought. 

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I realize I come off a bit blunt at times, but this is all meant as good natured back and forth.

At least I think we can agree that hopefully he has a healthy bounce back year and is more effective than he has been since he got here.  We will definitely need some scoring from that line.  

We have certainly had enough of these conversations to recognize that there are some players we just are not going to agree on and Sutter is definitely one of them along with Gudbranson and Jack Johnson (who I understand the Penguins are still thrilled about signing).

I hope he looks good this year and finds a new home so Gaudette can slide into his spot permanently. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not what I'm arguing at all. We added, Ferland, Miller and Pearson in the last 6'ish months. Pretty sure those guys (and Myers and Hughes etc) will help us 'create more offense'. They're taking Baer's cushy offensive minutes.

No role, no job.

Scoring depth.

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No role, no job.

If you are going to carry 2 spare forwards, wouldnt it make sense to have one that could fill a top 6 role and one that can fill a bottom six role. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

His last three years project to 22, 22, and 28 goals. He consistently scores at a 20+ goal rate. 

The problem with rate vs reality is probably what the brass struggled with. He's never managed in 4 "playing" years to get there. He's averaged 54 games a season in that span with the numbers decreasing sharply in the last two.

I really like him as a player, he does all the right things... except play those last 30 games a season. You're absolutely right, when he's on, he's on... but if he's turning 27 this year and not likely to get a whole lot better... the injuries will take their toll, assuming he doesn't get totally head-wrecked if he gets his bell rung again.

That said, I hope he gets picked up and is able to continue his career, otherwise be the best depth call up we've ever had. But after raging hard about it this morning when I first heard, I get why they did it. I don't get why Loui (with what he showed) wasn't on that list before him though. It would even make sense if it was both of them... but c'est la vie.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I do believe Ferland only played 2 games due to viral infection.

• Cheers 1