The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Given that Pearson is playing on Bo's LW and Baer is on waivers...yeah, he did.

He lost it before camp - probably already at the end of last season.  Just hope that Pearson was not a mirage à la Leipsic or Etem.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

So you saw Baertschi as a fourth line/pressbox player? 

Definitely didn't see him as a waiver player. If it's between that and the waiver wire, I'd rather keep him on the 4th line/pressbox and have him play in the inevitable injury apocalypse that hits us every year, than put him on waivers.

Also, I'm just curious, would it be outrageous to see him as a 4th line/pressbox player, but ok to see him as a waiver player?

Edited by Vanuckles

Baer might not last 20 games with his concussion history.

No team will pick him up. Let him play lots in utica. Get his timing and fitness back.

He'll be called up if needed.

He's not suited for a 3rd or 4th line role.

LE is an embarrassment for JB he's not getting waived making 6 mill. That'll be even worse. LE sits in pressing Baer plays in utica. Baer would rather play than sit in press box. He's missed a lot of hockey last year.  Needs games.

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

No offense to Schaller, but the guy is a bum. He had 3 goals and 9 PIM last season. Motte is twice the man Schaller will ever be. 

I wonder how much of that was recovering from hand surgery and getting a late start tho. He was pretty well liked in bean town. I'm not a big fan of his either but maybe there's something we're missing? or he's a bum. I guess we'll find out. 

Just now, Vanuckles said:

Definitely didn't see him as a waiver player.

Well with acquiring both Miller and Ferland I figured Goldy would be on waivers for sure. Baertschi was a question mark for me with those additions. He had a pretty decent preseason so I was only mildy surprised he wound up on waivers. But I really don't see him in a bottom six role as he's too soft. I actually expected to see him traded, but given the severity of his last concussion, combined with his cap hit, I guess there were no takers. I don't have a problem with him on waivers as I believe we have better top six options now. Guys who are more physical than Goldy/Baer combined. Our top six is better than last year imo.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This forum has a blind support for any decision that Benning makes. It's as glaringly obvious to anyone with with a neutral eye as the vitriolic hate that spews from HFBoards is.  Before this happened, nobody had even discussed the idea of waiving Baertschi because it seemed unfathomable. Now that it's happened, and those of us that don't conform to the "Everything is awesome" groupthink mentality that overwhelms these boards are voicing our displeasure with the move, the "bros" are out in full force defending a move that, just a week ago, most of them likely would have been waving their hand at. 

Us versus them mentalities are only espoused by the people I disagree with.

Why isn't this thread labelled differently?  Baer and Goldy going on  waivers should warrant a separate thread or at least a mention in the thread title. I've found this forum is so worried about condensing everything and rushing to be the first thread in that posters don't even originally label or update labels on important threads.. Over the last 15 years, I've gotten in the habit of coming to this forum for news updates. There is rarely any big Canucks  news that happens in the T/R/S sub-forum so it frustrates me  when I see thread titles like this. '[Waivers] September 30 - 39 Players' doesn't exactly scream "we just cut two notable young roster players"

Edited by cdubuya

17 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This forum has a blind support for any decision that Benning makes. It's as glaringly obvious to anyone with with a neutral eye as the vitriolic hate that spews from HFBoards is.  Before this happened, nobody had even discussed the idea of waiving Baertschi because it seemed unfathomable. Now that it's happened, and those of us that don't conform to the "Everything is awesome" groupthink mentality that overwhelms these boards are voicing our displeasure with the move, the "bros" are out in full force defending a move that, just a week ago, most of them likely would have been waving their hand at. 

I really like the way JB has built us a quality team, that has a good supply line of young players coming in.  However, I think the Baer being waived is a function of our owner not allowing JB to send Loui down.  

2 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Well with acquiring both Miller and Ferland I figured Goldy would be on waivers for sure. Baertschi was a question mark for me with those additions. He had a pretty decent preseason so I was only mildy surprised he wound up on waivers. But I really don't see him in a bottom six role as he's too soft. I actually expected to see him traded, but given the severity of his last concussion, combined with his cap hit, I guess there were no takers. I don't have a problem with him on waivers as I believe we have better top six options now. Guys who are more physical than Goldy/Baer combined. Our top six is better than last year imo.

Management has constantly referenced it as top 9, they're looking for 3 scoring lines. Also, Baertschi has played on the 3rd line on this team before we had Ferland and Miller, so those 2 don't affect him. There's still a spot for him on the third line, just like there was before.

How is this lineup:

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Miller

Leivo - Sutter - Gaudette

Motte/Schaller/Eriksson - Beagle - Virtanen

Motte/Schaller/Eriksson

better than this lineup:

Baertschi - Sutter - Gaudette

Leivo - Beagle - Virtanen

Motte/Schaller/Eriksson

I get that you can't waive Eriksson for the politics, but Motte and Schaller over Baertschi? That's a headscratcher to say the least.

• Upvote 1

Gotta admit tho

Lievo Sutter JV

Is more like a 4th line. There's no puck distributor.

Baer on that line would give you at least 1 skill guy. 

Move JV to 4th line or press box.

Maybe they're hoping Baer gets claimed so they can get some cap cushion.  

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Well if you bother to look a little bit deeper u would understand why baer was waived so it's not just blind support but support after hearing the issues.

It should never have been Baertschi.

It’s like whoever made the decision is stuck in the past, thinking you have two types of forwards: top 6 and bottom 6 forwards, and that if you have too many top 6 forward you have to cut them because you can only have 6 of them.

If you have a guy like Baertschi, a “top 6 forward” who is not in the top 6, you put him in the bottom 6, and when someone inevitably gets hurt you slide him back up. The idea that you have to set a bottom 6 composed of only types of players that suit the bottom 6 is so boneheaded and stuck in the past. Do you think team Canada thinks: “man we gotta cut Brad Marchand because he’s the 7th best “top 6 forward” so that we can have Brandon Sutter who is a great bottom 6 forward”? Obviously this is a stretch but you’re ALLOWED to have a guy like Baertschi over a guy a guy like Sutter/Schaller/Motte in the bottom 6. 

Im speculating on this being the reasoning. But it sure feels like the reasoning since we kept so many bottom 6 guys.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Vanuckles said:

I get that you can't waive Eriksson for the politics, but Motte and Schaller over Baertschi? That's a headscratcher to say the least.

Thew politics is exactly why Eirksson should have been waived.  Float around like a lazy bum while collecting a paycheck, and then complain the coach isn't giving you even more undeserved minutes?  Enjoy your stay in Utica.  We missed out on an opportunity to improve the culture of this organization by sending this useless piece of trash to the minors where he belongs.  Hopefully Green sticks him in the pressbox and haves him serving beverages to the media.  It's not only Baertschi who should have made it over Eriksson; MacEwen and Graovac both outworked and outplayed our 6 million dollar bum.  I can live with losing Baer, but we need to get rid of Eriksson by whatever means necessary; he simply doesn't have the necessary compete level to play in the NHL.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

Management has constantly referenced it as top 9, they're looking for 3 scoring lines. Also, Baertschi has played on the 3rd line on this team before we had Ferland and Miller, so those 2 don't affect him. There's still a spot for him on the third line, just like there was before.

How is this lineup:

Leivo - Sutter - Gaudette

Motte/Schaller/Eriksson - Beagle - Virtanen

Motte/Schaller/Eriksson

better than this lineup:

Baertschi - Sutter - Gaudette

Leivo - Beagle - Virtanen

Motte/Schaller/Eriksson

The problem I see there is less offensive ice time for Horvat's line as it's the only real shutdown capable line. 

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

The problem I see there is less offensive ice time for Horvat's line as it's the only real shutdown capable line. 

Baertschi  - Gaudette - Virtanen

Leivo - Beagle - Sutter

Problem solved.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Monteeun said:

Well if you bother to look a little bit deeper u would understand why baer was waived so it's not just blind support but support after hearing the issues.

The reasoning for the decision is flawed. The idea that a team needs two scoring and two checking lines is archaic and outdated. The cap issues wouldn't be a concern if we hadn't overspent in the first place, and there were still better ways to cut cap space anyways. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1