The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

4 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

FIrst off, who cares about Biega. Second, if Baerstchi doesn't get picked up you know that there was no market for him. If he does get picked up then I agree that he should have been traded for at least something.

I believe Benning was trying to trade Sven (and many others) and there were no takers. I really hope someone wants to take a gamble and picks him up. Good luck Sven!

Benning should take a chance on Petan.  Not making the forward groups of the Leafs and Jets doesn't mean he's not good enough to play in the NHL.  I would send Gaudette down to do this.

Get back the asset of Forsling?!  Like Petan, making the D line of the Hurricanes isn't the easiest lineup to crack.  Is he better than Fantenberg? 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Grape said:

This is 100% the problem though. The problem was that he wasn’t competing with Schaller for a job just because they play “different roles.”

Given that you want 12 forwards on the roster, and you have nine “top 6 forwards” and six “bottom 6 forwards,” you dont just cut the three worst “top 6 forwards,” you should always cut the three worst “bottom six forwards.” The idea that you can only have a certain amount of players like Baer while you need to have a certain amount of players like Schaller is nonsensical and totally archaic. I get it when it’s something like Motte over Goldobin, since their value is similar anyway, but the difference between Baer and Schaller is massive.

You should ALWAYS pick the best players to be on the roster. So the fact that Baertschi wasn’t competing with Schaller just because they have different roles is stupid and archaic. I made this example earlier, but you’re not gonna see team Canada cut Brad Marchand and keep Brandon Sutter because Marchand didn’t make the cut for his scoring role while Sutter made the cut for his checking role. It ALWAYS should be the best 13-14 forwards and the best 7-8 on defense. 

It becomes evident when you play a team and they have 3 or 4 capable scoring lines, and you intentionally limited yourself to 2 scoring lines because you believe its the “right way” of constructing a roster.

8 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Haha yeah.  Baer plays the role of a good top 9 forward.  Schaller plays the role of the guy that should be on waivers. 

There's only so many offensive zone starts and minutes to go around. Both of which Sven has shown to need to produce 2nd line offensive numbers (or at least the 'pace' of, given his injury history - another issue around him). Keeping him on an 'offensive' 3rd line means less offensive minutes/situations for Horvat and or Pettersson's lines. Or it means less production out of Sven in an ill suited role.

Not what we want to do. 

He wasn't going to be on the PP, doesn't PK, was pushed out of the top 6 by Ferland and Pearson and arguably out of the bottom 6 by Gaudette. He got squeezed.

People focus far too much on 'SCHALLER'! :frantic:. He or Eriksson are likely in the press box or waived when Roussel gets back. Until then we needed a body with some grit, who can PK. Still not Sven.

And I think some of you screaming about '3 SCORING LINES'! :frantic:seriously underestimate how much scoring (while also playing a hard 2 way matchup role) a Roussel, Sutter, Gaudette/Leivo/Virtanen line can create.

He didn't have a role or roster spot so they're trying to do what's best for the player and give him an opportunity to play elsewhere, in a role and spot that suit his talents.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

So are we supposed to have 11 grinders at forward to protect Petey? He’s 20 he can handle himself. Ferland is on his line he’s a tough customer to help him out. We got Benn and Miller who don’t shy away from physical play. If anything Schaller is redundant and doesn’t contribute any offence. I look at every team who’s won the cup the last few years they all had solid depth goal scoring. I don’t think schaller is going to provide any offence.

I find Schaller “offensive”....don’t you?:P

Why are we even talking about Schaller?  Everyone knows he's just a placeholder until Roussel is back.  Even MacEwen is a potential callup for the 4th line if we want to put Schaller on waivers and send him to Utica.

49 pages and counting for 3 guys who won't even get picked up today for free.  Nobody wants these guys, so why all the fuss?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's only so many offensive zone starts and minutes to go around. Both of which Sven has shown to need to produce 2nd line offensive numbers (or at least the 'pace' of, given his injury history - another issue around him). Keeping him on an 'offensive' 3rd line means less offensive minutes/situations for Horvat and or Pettersson's lines. Or it means less production out of Sven in an ill suited role.

Not what we want to do. 

He wasn't going to be on the PP, doesn't PK, was pushed out of the top 6 by Ferland and Pearson and arguably out of the bottom 6 by Gaudette. He got squeezed.

People focus far too much on 'SCHALLER'! :frantic:. He or Eriksson are likely in the press box or waived when Roussel gets back. Until then we needed a body with some grit, who can PK. Still not Sven.

And I think some of you screaming about '3 SCORING LINES'! :frantic:seriously underestimate how much scoring (while also playing a hard 2 way matchup role) a Roussel, Sutter, Gaudette/Leivo/Virtanen line can create.

He didn't have a role or roster spot so they're trying to do what's best for the player and give him an opportunity to play elsewhere, in a role and spot that suit his talents.

Except he has produced from the 3rd line.  Green hasn't had him play regularly with Horvat-Boeser.  He split them up early.  It was Goldobin on their line and Baertschi was with Sutter for a while.  Even last season he was with Sutter-Virtanen after a few games and then Gaudette when he got injured. He started only 8 games with Horvat - he did get shifts higher up as Goldobin wasn't always working out.

Btw Baertschi's PP numbers are better than Leivo or Pearson.  Leivo had 4pts playing PP1 last season in 130 minutes.  Pearson's career high on the PP Is 8pts in 200minutes (3rd among Fs on LA that season).  

Edited by mll

The teams that have 3 offensive lines are the teams with the defensive depth to make that happen without much worry. Our depth is better, but not on par with some of the top teams. We need to have two checking lines, although Gaudette and Sutter will score some goals, just considering we’d be scored on the counterattack more than anything. Our only true defensive defender is Tanev, with Stetcher and Myers not incompetent in there own zone either. 

Do I think this move makes us better? Not entirely. Do I think we’ll win more games because of it? That remains to be seen, but honestly, yeah. It’s not always the better teams that win, but the smarter ones (ala Tampa vs. Carolina + Boston vs. Toronto). How many goals did either favourite give up off the rush? That’s the point I want to make. 

I trust that GMJB and Greener know what they’re doing. 

4 minutes ago, kingfreako said:

Can I get an update on which players were claimed?

Have to wait until around 9am PST for that. Sometimes takes until 9:15am. :D unless there are leaks!

Edited by Rush17
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mll said:

Except he has produced from the 3rd line.  Green hasn't had him play regularly with Horvat-Boeser.  He split them up early.  It was Goldobin on their line and Baertschi was with Sutter for a while.  Even last season he was with Sutter-Virtanen after a few games and then Gaudette when he got injured. He started only 8 games with Horvat - he did get shifts higher up as Goldobin wasn't always working out.

Btw Baertschi's PP numbers are better than Leivo or Pearson.  Leivo had 4pts playing PP1 last season in 130 minutes.  Pearson's career high on the PP Is 8pts in 200minutes (3rd among Fs on LA that season).  

Have to look beyond just points on the PP though. If Leivo and Pearson are retrieving pucks and creating space and causing havoc around the net, these are useful tools for a PP even if not rewarded with points. The coaching staff must have been seeing something they like that they've been doing.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Schaller is going on waivers

I think they waived Baer and Goldy  and Biega now as they maybe they think it might be easier to sneak them through now, as everyone else is downloading rosters, rather than try to do it when everyones roster is settled, and seeing one of them made available when Roussel returns

Maybe in a sense it wasn't a cap issue as Benning mentioned, but a better chance at retaining one of them?

But if one of our top 6 goes down, we are risking not having a skilled guy that was lost for nothing

There would be others playing in Utica to start too, if it wasn't for waivers

4 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Schaller is going on waivers

I think they waived Baer and Goldy  and Biega now as they maybe they think it might be easier to sneak them through now, as everyone else is downloading rosters, rather than try to do it when everyones roster is settled, and seeing one of them made available when Roussel returns

Maybe in a sense it wasn't a cap issue as Benning mentioned, but a better chance at retaining one of them?

But if one of our top 6 goes down, we are risking not having a skilled guy that was lost for nothing

There would be others playing in Utica to start too, if it wasn't for waivers

They have been trying to trade Baertschi this summer already - they want to lose him on waivers.